Author Topic: Considering minoxidil for the beard  (Read 33519 times)

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Considering minoxidil for the beard
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 03:30:39 PM »
HEEEEEEEEEEEEERES  RUSTY  ! ! !

sorry rusty............... ;D

Well, if that is Rusty, then the beard's fine, nice color etc.  Probably just needs 6-8 months to gain a really mature density--it can take that long.  Sly, 20 minutes, beards--time, lots of it. 

In that pic the goatee area probably hadn't been shaved in years, but the sides wouldn't be any more than 4 or so months old.  Trimmed, of course (otherwise the stuff would be very long).  I dunno, some guys have heads that are better suited for goatees and some have faces better suited for beards.  I think my face is a goatee face which actually suits me fine since I tend not to be able to stand having a full beard for more than 6 months.

I'm glad aarrggh linked to that because I had forgotten I uploaded it into here and going through the process of linking to a self-pic here sounds like a chore - that's not a knock on SBG, it's just an acknowledgement that digging through my photos to find one that fits whatever forum I'm posting a photo to is always a chore, partially because multiple sites are involved and partially because I always feel that if I dig through another folder of photos I'll find another photo that even better illustrates whatever topic is being discussed.
You don't know me, but I know you.

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 03:33:38 PM »
I have read somewhere that the rogaine stuff . . . has some pretty bad side effects as it messes with your blood pressure etc.

And you get hair on your palms from rubbing it in >:D

I was always told that would happen from rubbing something else.

:*))

(Did I just write that?)

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 03:44:59 PM »
Dude if that is you in the picture, you beard is cool O0.

I have read somewhere that the rogaine stuff works on the beard (not recommend for that area though) but it has some pretty bad side effects as it messes with your blood pressure etc.

Also i think that you have to use it for quite along time for it to take effect.

Thanks!
I'm going to keep an eye on myself and if anything goes wrong I'll just end it.  I've never read about the stuff being suddenly fatal.  The long duration may be a problem as I find it difficult to take vitamins and suppliments on a regular basis for months on end without screwing up.

I think there's a very good reason it's not recommended for the beard area.  Side effects say that it can grow facial hair and body hair, and with this product being marketed towards women I'm sure they'd scare off a lot of female customers if they actively promoted its ability to grow male body hair.   Marketing this as a facial hair stimulant would probably kill the female hair restoration market, and that female market is probably much larger than the market of males that would want to use this for facial hair growth.  I've also read that the facial hair generated by minox is sometimes or often permanent, while scalp hair must be bathed in it forever, this would limit the financial appeal of marketing this as a facial hair stimulant even further.  It would be like Gilette marketing a cheap laser razor that can permanently kill hair.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 04:16:16 PM »
HEEEEEEEEEEEEERES  RUSTY  ! ! !

sorry rusty............... ;D

Well, if that is Rusty, then the beard's fine, nice color etc.  Probably just needs 6-8 months to gain a really mature density--it can take that long.  Sly, 20 minutes, beards--time, lots of it. 

In that pic the goatee area probably hadn't been shaved in years, but the sides wouldn't be any more than 4 or so months old.  Trimmed, of course (otherwise the stuff would be very long).  I dunno, some guys have heads that are better suited for goatees and some have faces better suited for beards.  I think my face is a goatee face which actually suits me fine since I tend not to be able to stand having a full beard for more than 6 months.

I'm glad aarrggh linked to that because I had forgotten I uploaded it into here and going through the process of linking to a self-pic here sounds like a chore - that's not a knock on SBG, it's just an acknowledgement that digging through my photos to find one that fits whatever forum I'm posting a photo to is always a chore, partially because multiple sites are involved and partially because I always feel that if I dig through another folder of photos I'll find another photo that even better illustrates whatever topic is being discussed.
Well, I think for a lot of guys including myself, four months really doesn't let the full potential of thickness develop.  & top that with not being really into a full beard, you pretty much have a goat & mustache option--in one of the many variations going. 
I'm not for the rogaine stuff though, based upon a bit of personal experience that I have previously admitted--I did try to "save" the hole in back with that stuff.  All it got me was the meanest nasty crusty patch but no hair.  Took several trips to the dermatologist to clear it up.  The heart problems are real and dangerous.  If you take any medications for hypertension or irregular heart beat or have any symptoms of either condition, stop the stuff now until your doctor gives you the go ahead, or it could be very unpleasant. 

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 12:11:20 AM »
Why'd my photo turn into a TinyPic image?

Offline Nonick

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 09:18:59 PM »
OK, computer geeks, where are you?  :x!  Why won't the link/picture forward/copy/paste, etc.   :Xo!
Time to sacrifice another virgin computer game to the god of the Ethernet!   :/O
OK, everyone else take a break and meet up at Boomhauer's for pizza.  Rusty said he was buying!  :*))
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 09:20:58 PM by Nonick »

revived

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 03:14:06 AM »
I was also considering minox for the beard, but only because I had some left over from my trying to regrow head hair phase. After doing some reading about it I decided it was best to throw it down the toilet and deal with the pubes on my face and hopefully one day grow some decent stubble

revived

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 03:16:05 AM »
hahaha rusty just saw the photo of you.. your beard is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. what would you need minox for!!!!

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 11:06:46 PM »
hahaha rusty just saw the photo of you.. your beard is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. what would you need minox for!!!!

It's different when it's growing from your face and you can see all the flaws.  Apparently when the camera adds 10 pounds it does so by adding hair to my body that doesn't really exist.

I guess it's been around 5 weeks now since I started and I don't really see any difference.  With the way hairs come and go it's impossible to tell if tiny hairs are those being stimulated by the minox or if they are just the ones coming out of their natural dormancy period.

I read up on this online and it's funny how so many people will insist on seeing some results in as little as 1 or 2 weeks.  I don't care how well you respond because it's impossible to see results that fast.  Hairs all have a portion that grows below the skin, so it takes a week or two for newly created hair to even grow out of the skin., but these people are seeing results before hair created by the minox could even break the surface.  I guess that's the power of persuasion!

I'm not seeing any side effects either, so I'm wondering if my bottles even have the active ingredient in it.  Considering that the directions say results can take months to appear I'm going to continue.

Offline Coltsfan73

• Sly
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2010, 11:33:16 PM »
Hey Rusty-
I got some extra bottles of the foam I should send ya from when I tried it up top. Not sure the shelf-life of those things.. I should prolly toss 'em.

Unless I want to use 'em to connect the two big patches on my back... ! LOL.  Nah, you can have 'em..

Offline BaldWriterBob

• Super Sly
  • Pastor, Author, Musician
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2010, 02:21:14 PM »
I'm sure we'll be following your progress with interest.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2010, 09:10:34 AM »
Rusty, how's that snake oil working for your beard guy?   :/O

Offline baldsurfer

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2010, 06:46:44 AM »
Hey, Rusty - what's the latest? Did you keep using it? See any results? My goatee is a bit sparse and I'd be really interested in hearing your experience with this.

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2011, 11:55:43 PM »
It's been a looooooooong time since I was here.

I got a 3 month supply of a generic Minox (5%?) and then after that I bought another that I'm almost finished with.  I noticed absolutely no additional growth whatsoever, and that's why I have an unused bottle: I keep forgetting to use it for no benefit.  I also had no side effects at all.  I applied it close to my mouth and I tasted it every once in a while so I know it wasn't water, but it sure acted like it.

Offline HeadbladerBob

• Sly
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2011, 12:43:41 PM »
Hmm.   I never thoght of minixodil for a beard.  Sounds interesting
God created only so many beautiful heads, the rest are covered by hair