Author Topic: Sly and Beards in Professional Life  (Read 8481 times)

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
Sly and Beards in Professional Life
« on: January 24, 2010, 08:20:23 PM »
I was walking by Sears today and saw a ad for H&R Block posted at the entrance to the store.  It shows a African-American fellow with a shaved head and full beard who is supposed to the the H&R Block tax guy.  To me this shows that a shaved head with a conservative beard can be a professional look in some companies.  Anyway, here is the picture I took with my cell phone! 

So I am wondering how many of our Sly and Full Bearded brethren are in white collar positions?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 08:22:32 PM by marshd1000 »

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
Re: Sly and Beards in Professional Life
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 10:16:50 PM »
Software architect.

Though probably not the best of examples for what you are looking for. Although the software industry is considered "white collar", the dress code is usually "wear clothes".

For me, I take pride in dressing a notch above the level of my fellow dweebs (most of whom consider "dressing up" to mean wearing anything other than a t-shirt).

Offline Dome of Steele

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 11:20:50 PM »
I think sly and bearded fits people in the legal profession well.  It gives the look of a true advocate, that might get vicious if necessary.  I still can't grow a decent beard.  SBG's, have you found that beards get better with age, deep into 20's and 30's?
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090813/sampff0212de70bbab6a.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline J.J.

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 12:06:33 AM »
So I am wondering how many of our Sly and Full Bearded brethren are in white collar positions?

Physician here; never had a problem with the Sly/Beard combo (or Sly/Beardless, for that matter).  Patients seem to like it...funny thing is...shaved heads are so commonplace now, they often refer to me as "the guy with the beard", instead of "the bald guy"...LOL

SBG's, have you found that beards get better with age, deep into 20's and 30's?

I didn't really need to shave daily until I was about 25; grew my first full beard when I was 28.  I would have to say that it has become progressively fuller with age.  Now at 45, it grows like a weed.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 07:12:34 AM »
Another here, lawyer working in disaster recovery consulting.  No problem, in fact it makes me stand out, I find people notice and remember my name and position.  It's a plus for me.

Offline Sooner Steve

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 07:16:58 AM »
Another sly member of the legal profession.  I am a district judge but not the full beard.  I think my bald head and fumanchu are widely accepted.  In fact, I think it helps in my area of the judiciary.  I handle only criminal cases and I think my look gives me an added intimidation factor that unfortunately is needed with some of the defendants who appear before me.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts." - Coach John Wooden

[img]http://tickers.Tick

Offline cvasara

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 01:13:29 PM »
Well, I've tried wearing a white shirt with a collar in my profession, but I always seem to keep trying to adjust it, and getting it dirty. 
So it's back to flannel shirts and colored short sleeve shirts for me.
I do own my own business and those shirts and blue jeans fit in quite well in a farming community.   In that type of community/area, farmers ARE the professionals.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
Ronald Reagan--40th President

Clunkerider

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 04:31:55 PM »
I enjoy wearing a beard/goate because I never was allowed in the Army or Corrections. Now in a blue-collar envirionment, as long as I am neat and clean, anything goes!

Offline baldmale

• Learning the way of Sly
    • Bald Male Role Model
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 10:03:53 AM »
I think neat and clean is the key.  I buzz my head once a week - same with my beard.  Never had any problems as a manager - at least with my beard...

Offline Iconic

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 05:04:47 AM »
I have a conservative position yet my profession is actually supposed to promote creative and radical ideas. White collar? Kind of... No problems so far. I think bald & beard -look is what you make of it. You can make it edgy or neat and clean, it's up to you.

Offline Coltsfan73

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 08:53:56 AM »
I work in a creative/consulting environment and usually don't hear much regarding the bald/beard combo. Even though my beard is full, and can get a bit bushy, I keep it clean and groomed well. When consulting more, I trim it up a bit. During the months of creative process, however,  it can get kinda big. I do try to keep everything in check though... and if consulting to a more conservative client, I'll trim things up pretty drastically. I'm blessed? or cursed? with fast growing beard genes, so it's usually back to full strength pretty quickly after a drastic trim.

Offline BReady

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 11:30:20 AM »
I am a field rep for a semiconductor equipment manufacturer.  Not really a white collar job because although the dress code is slacks and a button down shirt, I still have to go to the equipment and "turn wrenches."  However, I am a vendor at a customer's site and we generally are required to maintain a professional appearance.

I have never had any problem with the shaved head nor goatee I've worn.  There are quite a few engineers and technicians that shave their head too.  I think just about everyone grows some type of facial hair of some type.  Just like what was mentioned before, keep it groomed and it will be ok. 

SBG written at 5 micron field of view on an electron microscope (kind of messed up the B, but you get the picture).

BReady

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 09:24:08 AM »
I work in a creative/consulting environment and usually don't hear much regarding the bald/beard combo. Even though my beard is full, and can get a bit bushy, I keep it clean and groomed well. When consulting more, I trim it up a bit. During the months of creative process, however,  it can get kinda big. I do try to keep everything in check though... and if consulting to a more conservative client, I'll trim things up pretty drastically. I'm blessed? or cursed? with fast growing beard genes, so it's usually back to full strength pretty quickly after a drastic trim.

I beg to differ... that, my man, is full blown bushy (he says jealously).
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 10:18:39 AM »
I beg to differ... that, my man, is full blown bushy (he says jealously).
Indeed. It's one of the most awesome beards I've seen.

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 03:23:11 PM »
Right now I am down to the Van Dyke but I often sport a full beard.  But I do think that Coltsfan's beard is one of the best out there.  I don't have the patience to grow one like that nor would it work well in my job where I meet the public.  But I am jealous!