Author Topic: head shaving in the winter  (Read 9620 times)

Offline gregmi

• Sly Jr.
head shaving in the winter
« on: January 13, 2010, 01:34:37 PM »
I let my hair grow back a month or two ago and have not shaved it since , do to the cold winter weather . Thinking of shaving it off all off again, getting sick of my thick hair plus like my head shaved.  Any advice shaving your head during winter?  Not sure if shaving my head will be good during the colder months like this.

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
Re: head shaving in the winter
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 01:39:44 PM »
Do it! It's as good as any time of the year.  8)
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline dawgfan

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 01:50:37 PM »
I believe there is never a bad time of year to shave your head.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 04:26:53 PM »
Well, now you realize what an addiction a shaved head can be.  You don't say where you live, but for me, I wear a fleece beanie if it's below 40F, and I'm going to be out for more than 5 10 minutes.  It's easy it folds up in my coat pocket.  And I've got a nice shiny dome to reveal when I pull it off--love the looks I get when people don't expect it. >:D

Offline Undercover

• (Insert clever, thought provoking title here)
  • Sly Jr.
  • This used to look like a floating head...
    • How I buy stuff like headblades...
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 05:02:44 PM »
The worst part of shaving in the winter is when your toque (Its a Canadian thing) rides up because your head is so smooth.

The BEST part? Just one day of stubble and that sucker is LOCKED IN PLACE.
Mother nature only created so many perfect heads, the rest she covered in hair...

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 06:37:57 PM »
The worst part of shaving in the winter is when your toque (Its a Canadian thing) rides up because your head is so smooth.

I'll get my beanie(that's not a LA term, and we do use a lot of French words here but toque isn't one of them) pulled down tight enough it doesn't pop off.  But I'll never put up with stubble, aka velcro, just to avoid pulling the beanie down.  On the other hand we never have to deal with the cold you guys do. >:D

Offline Undercover

• (Insert clever, thought provoking title here)
  • Sly Jr.
  • This used to look like a floating head...
    • How I buy stuff like headblades...
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 08:09:56 PM »

I'll get my beanie(that's not a LA term, and we do use a lot of French words here but toque isn't one of them) pulled down tight enough it doesn't pop off.  But I'll never put up with stubble, aka velcro, just to avoid pulling the beanie down.  On the other hand we never have to deal with the cold you guys do. >:D

LOL agreed, but I tend to be a little lazy in my head shaving sometimes, and now that I think of it there was this one time I almost snapped my own neck putting on a sweater that got caught on the "Scalp Velcro."

Explain THAT one to the medical examiner...
Mother nature only created so many perfect heads, the rest she covered in hair...

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 08:47:19 PM »
I also dislike trying to keep a knit cap in place on a slick melon, but it's preferable to enduring an entire day with stubble.  I don't feel clean if I haven't shaved.

Offline ChallengeMe

• Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 09:42:36 PM »
I let my hair grow back a month or two ago and have not shaved it since , do to the cold winter weather . Thinking of shaving it off all off again, getting sick of my thick hair plus like my head shaved.  Any advice shaving your head during winter?  Not sure if shaving my head will be good during the colder months like this.

Since it's been a couple of months with your hair grown back, I would recommend you wait till the weather warms up a little. Your head will freeze if you shave it now. It's like when I had a beard and I shaved it in February; my face froze! My head and face now are accustomed to the cold and it doesn't bother me. Just don't forget us Sly Bald Guys and what your were meant to be come the spring!

Next winter don't let your hair grow back!  :x!

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 07:11:08 AM »
I would agree with ChallengeMe: if you keep SLY through the winter you hatdly notice the cold, but once you've let the hair grow back your scalp will become 'weak' and soft and will hate to be exposed to the wintry weather.

If you don't mind feelin a bit chilly up top, then go for it, otherwise leave it till slightly warmer weather. 8)

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 10:50:29 AM »
Shaving in the Winter is pretty much like shaving any other time. You may need to apply a bit more lotion if you feel you have very dry skin.
Just be sure to wear your beanie/skully/toque, knit cap or whatever you prefer to call it. It really makes all the difference.     O0

Offline baldsurfer

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 12:44:24 PM »
I think winter is a GREAT time to shave your noggin. Your tan has faded so there's a lot less difference between your face and your scalp.

If you want to be bald, get bald!

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 12:46:55 PM »
I shave every day as I cannot stand the velcro feel - - - -the damn knitted hat slides off  and I put it back on   - -Just one of the advantages of being "SEXY BALD"

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 12:49:49 PM »
there was this one time I almost snapped my own neck putting on a sweater that got caught on the "Scalp Velcro."

Explain THAT one to the medical examiner...

Even w/ one day of velcro, that's happened to me at the gym, trying to get my sweaty t-shirt off.  I must look spastic wiggling around fighting to get it over the back of my head.  I've had thoughts of asking for help sometimes, but I've never actually done it. :D :D :D

Offline dodger

• dodger
  • Sly Jr.
  • after
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 07:26:40 PM »
Hey Geg,

No doubt about it, this has been a cruel cold one in the northeast

But, being SLY is an ALL WEATHER DO

There is nothing better for me than that brisk air on the dome

Good Luck...Only 10+ weeks for pitchers/catchers 

steve