Author Topic: head shaving in the winter  (Read 9619 times)

Offline CraftyGuy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • My Facebook page
Re: head shaving in the winter
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 12:11:58 PM »
Slowly adjusting to the brisk air here in New England... started with a toque (that I made myself), and now to a Red Sox cap.  Maybe since it's finally the January thaw, I may expose the head-flesh fully and get used to it! :-)
MikeC

Offline tomk773

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 08:02:56 AM »
I live in Chicago & there are weeks during the Winter that we don't get out of the teens' & at night can get into the single digits or below.. but for some reason I have been able to adapt to it -I almost NEVER wear a hat or cap, but I do wear ear-muffs when it gets that cold. I think when you keep other parts of your body warmer, it makes up for any heat that you lose from having a bald head. So, basically what I do is try to compensate for the heat loss by wearing layers of clothes, gloves, ear-muffs. If it's above 20f, I don't wear the ear-muffs. But it's really up to individual choice. I was born in the Winter & actually prefer the extremes of Winter more than I do the extremes of the Summer heat/humidity..!

Tom

Offline smooth28

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 01:17:02 PM »
No problem shaving in winter. I live in New England so when its cold you would wear a hat anyway. The only drawback is a knit cap sliding up on a fresh shaved dome. But get a little stuble and its like velcro - hat never moves.

Offline halffast

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Freshly shaved head Feb 9/10
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
I live in good ole Winnipeg Manitoba Canada where the weather goes from 40-45 below zero in winter to 90+ degrees in summer.

I do not like the velcro thing either. today at work I was taking off my pullover sweater and wrenched my neck. I just shaved the head the night before and that stubble is very unforgiving when it comes to pullover anything.

I do like the velcro when I do get the toque on the head cause it holds in place nicely.

I wish there was a way to stsy "smooth" for more than 8 hours at a time, the stubble drives me bonkers to the point where I am making head shaving an obssession  :/O

I even think the girlfriend is starting to get annoyed a lil with all my talk about it  >:(

Offline jc71corvette

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2010, 04:30:40 PM »
I let it grow during late fall and winter. Just shaved mine a few weeks ago. Only a few weeks of winter left

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2010, 04:46:40 PM »
  I like the way the stubbles hold on a hat on them cold wintery days--since im outside most of the day... :)

Offline honestjohnny

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2010, 06:57:54 PM »
I suggest a compromise.  Rather than shave with a razor and deal with the cycle of slick and velcro whilst wearing a beanie, touque or whathaveyou, get a beard and moustache trimmer and use that with no guard to clip your hair.  It'll still look to the lay person like you shave your head, but the 1/16" hair won't grab your knit clothes the same way.  Then when the weather gets warmer and the caps go away, shave it clean.  Good luck!

Offline Undercover

• (Insert clever, thought provoking title here)
  • Sly Jr.
  • This used to look like a floating head...
    • How I buy stuff like headblades...
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2010, 08:45:10 PM »
I suggest a compromise.  Rather than shave with a razor and deal with the cycle of slick and velcro whilst wearing a beanie, touque or whathaveyou, get a beard and moustache trimmer and use that with no guard to clip your hair.  It'll still look to the lay person like you shave your head, but the 1/16" hair won't grab your knit clothes the same way.  Then when the weather gets warmer and the caps go away, shave it clean.  Good luck!

Heeeey, that's not a bad idea...
Mother nature only created so many perfect heads, the rest she covered in hair...

Offline Nonick

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2010, 09:38:01 PM »
So what does buzzing with your basic hair clippers get you?  1/16"?  More?  ???  Are there advantages to a beard trimmer?

OzBaldyBoi

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2010, 04:22:03 AM »
eeep it's summer over here in Oz and i'm yet to experience my first winter bald so it should be interesting.....

benmcd

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2010, 05:03:42 AM »
Winter works for me & my head, as sunburn is not such a problem. We get very mild winters so no real need for a beanie.
Our coldest day would never be less than 50F.

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2010, 09:12:51 AM »
Gotta keep the melon slick  - -  I shave everyday  - - It has been warmer here in New York  so no hat is needed  -  and I can  show off the slick melon - -

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2010, 09:22:45 AM »
I get a lot of comments and questions..."Aren't you cold?"...during the winter months...

Not really, if I was...I would put a hat on...