Author Topic: I've been diagnosed with "hairloss"  (Read 5286 times)

Offline vjon

• Learning the way of Sly
I've been diagnosed with "hairloss"
« on: January 12, 2010, 07:23:42 PM »
Hey  guys....I'm 19 years old and have recently been diagnosed (dermatologist) with "diffuse" hair thinning.  Basically, hair thinning over the entire top of the scalp instead of receding hair etc...  I guess it's a more agressive type of male pattern hairloss.  Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else here has had it and how did you  deal with it.  How much hair did you lose and how quick?  I can't believe I'm this young and dealing with this.  I wonder how long before it's all gone on top. 

Offline damnimbald

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: I've been diagnosed with "hairloss"
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 08:40:07 PM »
heyy im only 18 years old and im getting bald, so for me you are very lucky, im getting so bald so quickly i cant beleive it, my friends cause our age, they talk about the theme and i cant deal with it, so dont worry , if you are only having a little of hair loss that should last until 25 or something, at that age the people is mature, also the girls  jaja so they wouldnt care if you are bald

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 08:47:57 PM »
Welcome aboard vjon!  O:O

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline slyck85

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 09:21:56 PM »
i started dealing with it at age 17 and had an extremely rough time with it during high school.  The worst of the hair loss was held off until I was in my late 20's with progressively shorter buzz cut's and (early on)Propecia.  In the end, the only viable solution for me was to shave it, it'll be 1 year March 2010.   Good Luck and welcome to SBG......

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 05:16:42 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Vjon! You are very young my Friend.... DO NOT let hair loss rule your days.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 06:59:08 AM »
Welcome.  You have found the right place--lots of guys your age dealing with the same issues.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 03:44:19 PM »
Everybody is different, so there's no way to tell how long it will take for the hair loss process to play out.   In general, thinning isn't as noticeable as recession.  At some point your hairline will probably begin to recede but probably not for a few more years.  Buzzing your hair short is a good way to camouflage thinning.  It may seem counter-productive, but it is effective.  More scalp may show through than you'd like, but when your hair is cut short, it's expected that people will be able to see some skin.  Most people will assume it's because your hair is short and not because it's thinning.

Try not to obsess over it too much.  There's really nothing you can do to stop it, and even though you might not think so now, it's not necessarily a bad thing.  A lot of people actually look better bald.  As long as you don't try to disguise it by growing it long, combing it over, wearing a rug, etc -- and keep your body in the best physical shape you can, it won't "ruin" your looks.  You may even find that it enhances them.  I don't expect you to believe that now but one day you'll find that I'm right.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 05:31:19 PM »
I love the way they put it... "diagnosed" ... as if it's an illness that needs to be cured.

Gimmee a serious break.

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 05:51:47 PM »
You have come to the right place for support.  The doctor's "diagnosis" is just a polite way to say "hairloss" and "you figure out how to adjust.  Today's office charge is $123.00".  Below is a YouTube link called "Joe Gets A Haircut" that might fit your situation.  Watch how this young guy deals with it !  ----Stasiu

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 07:16:55 PM »
You have come to the right place for support.  The doctor's "diagnosis" is just a polite way to say "hairloss" and "you figure out how to adjust.  Today's office charge is $123.00".  Below is a YouTube link called "Joe Gets A Haircut" that might fit your situation.  Watch how this young guy deals with it !  ----Stasiu

Looked a bit nervous, didn't he?   ^-^  But what an improvement!  O0

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 07:18:17 PM »
I wonder how long before it's all gone on top. 
Don't sit around wondering. Take control. Now. Shave your head, or at least get a buzz cut. I bet you will feel a LOT better about yourself.
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline Dome of Steele

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 05:55:54 PM »
Yes, buzz it down or shave it.  That way you don't have to look in the mirror and obsess over it every day. 
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090813/sampff0212de70bbab6a.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 07:12:56 PM »
Yes, buzz it down or shave it.  That way you don't have to look in the mirror and obsess over it every day. 

Yes, you do but you'll be obsessing over how much better you look.   :D

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 08:47:21 PM »
Smooth is better, we promise, besides it may be a three day weekend for you, what better time to try it--and we know you'll like it--we promise.

Offline surfboardnyc

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 07:54:16 AM »
The good news is that in many cases the thinning does not proceed as fast as you are afraid of.  I started thinning when I was about your age, and I could get away with just keeping my hair shorter and shorter until I was in my early thirties.  Then I had to buzz it to a #2, followed by #1, followed by no guard, and eventually I started shaving.  Now I shave a couple of times a week, I am too lazy to do it every day.

As many other members have already mentioned in this forum, I wished being sly would have been as acceptable and popular back then as it is now.  I would have taken the plunge to at least buzz it down to a #1 much earlier and I would not have stressed out so much over this issue.

So don't stress out and more important don't lose any confidence because of your hair.  If it bother's you to see your hair getting thinner and thinner, just shave it or buzz it down and you won't see it happening.  Instead, you will realize how great you look.