Author Topic: Why do you prefer shaving so much more than no-guard buzz cut?  (Read 44805 times)

Offline malaco

• Learning the way of Sly
Why do you prefer shaving so much more than no-guard buzz cut?
« on: January 08, 2010, 07:43:46 AM »
Hey there guys

First of all let me introduce myself, I am 27 years old, Brazilian...

Actually at home my father was bald from the time I was a kid (horseshoe) and it was a very natural thing for me the balding thing.. .Never really worried about it. I thought the look was nice on him, and he didn't bother about it either (never once have I seen him regret or sigh or complain about the past). So for me, balding was never a big deal.

I still have good hair I guess, just strong "invasions" from the sides of the frontlines (don't know how to say that in English). But I always thought that when I buzzed down the #2 (I did that when I was a kid) I looked cool, and after getting to know that Jason Statham guy I started wondering if I should do that and also #1 and 0 later. I have been cutting my hair buzzing on the sides (#1.5) and scissors on top for a while.

Yesterday I buzzed down to 2, looked great... I will keep it like that for a while (bought clippers), and then when it gets a little warmer will go down to 1 and 0... giving the time for people to get used to it.

Ok so that brings the subject of this topic. I intend to switch between #1 and #0, mostly because I like that #0 look, but I am not really into the shaving thing... I mean, it looks great on many, just not in me I guess... I think the #0 cut is "cooler". But hey that is just me.

But out of curiosity, and from realizing (easily!) from the other topics that you really enjoy it... I thought it'd be interesting to ask the reasons for why you like it that much compared to the no-guard buzz... I thought some interesting answers might come up.

So... Why is it that you like to shave so much more than to do a no-guard buzz cut? Just curious!

PS: On a side note... This forum is great... I mean I am a social psychologist and I am really interested in how people tackle some issues and so on... So in order to compare I went to some forums of balding people who refuse to lose their hair and to accept the fact that they're getting bald... So they stick to hair treatments, crazy and expensive surgeries, and nothing fixes.. What's more, it seems to them that the most important issue on their life is hair... Good god... It's just hair! And the bald - buzzed look is kick ass. So compliments to you guys, you sure as hell do have personality!

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
Re: Why do you prefer shaving so much more than no-guard buzz cut?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 07:56:11 AM »
The slick feeling and to get the shine on my smooth dome. O0
Tis better to have a bald head than no head at all.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 08:04:19 AM »
Well, my main reason for shaving it clean is the fact I get complete relief for the pain & itching associated with a bad scalp condition. No hair, no pain, no problem! Plus, I think it just looks better.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 08:18:43 AM »
Firs off Malaco,
                        Welcome to the SBG Family it's great to have you!! As for me I am BBC (Bald By Choice), I just simply love the look and feel of a smooth shaved dome, I could not do a buzz with a 0 guard, I hate the velcro feeling on my head.
AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader

GASlick

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 08:47:55 AM »
Like the other guys, I like the smooth feeling.  And so does my wife!

My hair is so dark that it actually looks like a no guard buzz even though it's smooth.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 08:59:59 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Malaco.  Good post, and it's nice to have a social psychologist validate what has been developed by the members, that is to say, acceptance and straight forward acceptance of balding is healthy, while drugs, rugs and plugs are not natural and potentially dangerous.  

Why do I shave rather than buzz?  Well, I started to deal w/ mpb and a bad combover by buzzing after reading about it here and other sites on how to manage the appearance of balding.  But, having gotten a #4 buzz, I only kept it for a week when I went back to the barber and got it pulled down to a #3.  After that I had a clipper and took it to a #2 for about two weeks.  Then I did a #1--oh, did that feel and look great.  But, at #3 under lights, I was obviously a bald guy w/ a short fringe ;).  I knew, or I was at least aware that ultimately it would all come off.  What I didn't realize was that at a #1, the urge to finish would be so strong, so overwhelming.  The #1 was Tuesday, and that Friday morning, before the gym, I buzzed it with no guard, then shaved on returning home and showering.  That was probably one of the most memorable moments I've had personally.  The freedom, the liberation was a rush unlike any other feeling I've had resulting from a change in clothing or grooming.  It was totally over the wall.  I've been shaving almost everyday since then, and each day enjoying the feeling of my smooth scalp as a great start to the day.  But that's just my experience.  My bet is that you will have a similar feeling of liberation.  

Offline joergHH

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 09:11:59 AM »
I like the smooth feeling and the look with my shining bald head. I have buzzed my hair for over 15 years shorter and shorter and went to no guard in May 2007. Since August 2007 I shave daily.
My hair is white since I'm 50 and I didn't want to look as my 100 year old grandma. Buzzing you see my white hair, shaving it's away  ;D

J

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 09:14:08 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Malaco! Very nice intro!

My reasons for shaving versus buzz:

1) I like the clean look. Shaving = no shadow/fringe
2) A freshly shaved head feels amazing
3) Buzzed hair will stick to your hats and towels.... a shaved head will not
4) Shaving my head is a way to do something for ME
5) I think the close buzz look has passed it's time.... but SLY is timeless
6) A shaved head looks great
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 09:23:31 AM »
hey malaco:  welcome 2 the sly fraternity.  glad that ya joined us.  4 me... i like a freshly shaved head because i love the look and the feel of smoooooooothness on my dome. O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline malaco

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 09:29:42 AM »
Thanks for replying guys!

Hahaha I mentioned the social psychologist thing more as a way to justify my curiosities and so on. Being a social psychologist I'm more into the experimental part of basic processes (knowledge, perception, etc), and really do not know much about clinical psychology (which is more closely related to what is "healthy" and what is not). Anyway, just to say that in no way I have a "professional" look on that - and neither want to, I keep things quite separate...

But to be honest... There is no need of a psychologist to realize that the sly way is healthier than the hair-loss-desperate way... Just read this forum and one hair treatment forum for 10 mins and anyone can see that!

Thanks for the comments again guys... And saintc... I have to say that man... By reading the forum the past days I can tell that you are the toughest guy around dude... You sure know you way and take no bulsh*t from anyone who's stupid hahaahah Kick ass man, I like your style!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 09:46:16 AM »
And saintc... I have to say that man... By reading the forum the past days I can tell that you are the toughest guy around dude... You sure know you way and take no bulsh*t from anyone who's stupid hahaahah Kick ass man, I like your style!

Well, I'm actually a pretty laid back guy, but my writing may reflect my background as a lawyer--we tend to be direct to make a point.  The guys I've met from the Forum in person will back me up on that, I hope! :D

Offline malaco

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 10:05:37 AM »
--we tend to be direct to make a point. 

That is a great quality, you say what you need to, you make yourself clear, no regrets, no misunderstandings.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 11:34:44 AM »
I hate the velcro feeling on my head.

What he said.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 12:11:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum, malaco!

I answer to your question, I would have to say that, for me, the difference is:

a.  the incredible feeling of a perfectly smooth head
b.  the strong, positive message it sends
c.  the total absence of dry, flaky skin that I dealt with my whole life.

8)
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 02:53:24 PM »
Welcome malaco!

Here are my reasons:

- to feel the smooth skin above the hard skull is amazing
- the shiny dome looks great
- with a buzz cut I often had the feeling that something was sticking to the head
- it is the ultimate hairstyle: with hair there is always the possibility to change something like length or style or color - without hair there's nothing left to change, it's the end of the road so to speak.
Ach du meine Nase!