Author Topic: Why do you prefer shaving so much more than no-guard buzz cut?  (Read 44807 times)

Offline PowerOfCheese

• Super Sly
  • Sly and be free
Re: Why do you prefer shaving so much more than no-guard buzz cut?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 03:19:43 PM »
"Why do you prefer shaving so much more than no-guard buzz cut?"

I don't. I only no-guard buzz cut mine. (don't hurt me) Less effort and I like how it feels.
---- The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is given to the less talented as a consolation prize. - Robert Hughes

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 07:24:18 PM »
It looks better: it's just smooth and clean.

I rest my arms on the top of my head quite often and I hate the feeling of stubble on my soft forearm skin.

The cord on my clippers is a bit on the short side.  It's OK for trimming my annoying arm hair once a month but it would get old trimming the top of my head every day.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 09:39:49 PM »
Wind resistance.  Stubble slows me down. 

lol -- actually the feeling of a smooth head is invigorating.  Stubble just doesn't feel all that great. 

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 10:46:01 PM »
Like others I dont like the velcro feeling. Smooth is way nicer to feel when I touch my head for any reason. Bald is more modern, slick and streamlined. To me a no gaurd buzz looks lazy like the person didnt want to take the extra few minutes to finish shaving.

hawkeye

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 10:58:06 PM »
Personally, I go back and forth between the sly and the buzz.  Well, I let it grow to what the no guard buzz would be, then I shave it smooth.  I like the feeling.  The ritual.  If that makes sense.  It's like a good shave.  I just found that, too.  Being 35, you'd think that I would have known more about how to shave correctly.  Really, I used to only shave my face once a week.  Wherever I work has usually been lax enough that I could get away with it.  Not anymore, really.  But, with proper routine, my face doesn't feel like I used a lawnmower.  And, shaving the head smooth lets me change my appearance up.  It really is a clean look.  That and it feels good. 

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 12:41:22 PM »
A smooth head feels a lot better than a velcro head.  Some people look OK with a bit of stubble, but if you've got blond or reddish hair, it can look a bit scruffy.  And if you're dealing with a severely receded hairline, it's best to shave completely to minimize it as much as possible.

Offline Green 1

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 06:25:18 PM »
I like a completely shaved head because it feels great, also in my case I was buzzing it pretty short for a long time, but the gray would show back up in a day or two. I am in my thirties, and don't like seeing myself with gray hair.

Offline PowerOfCheese

• Super Sly
  • Sly and be free
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2010, 10:35:57 AM »
To me a no gaurd buzz looks lazy like the person didnt want to take the extra few minutes to finish shaving.

HAH! That's basically me. Lazy and don't want to take the extra few minutes to finish shaving. I dig the look of a completely shaved head so I try to get it really close. In pictures I look like I shaved yesterday. I am lazy though and as much as I like the shaved dome I really hate shaving it every day. I don't know how you guys do it, some guys even shave twice a day. Maybe in the summer I'll be more motivated.
---- The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is given to the less talented as a consolation prize. - Robert Hughes

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 05:36:13 AM »
 What I didn't realize was that at a #1, the urge to finish would be so strong, so overwhelming.  

This is what I am feeling!

The #1 was Tuesday, and that Friday morning, before the gym, I buzzed it with no guard, then shaved on returning home and showering.  That was probably one of the most memorable moments I've had personally.  The freedom, the liberation was a rush unlike any other feeling I've had resulting from a change in clothing or grooming.  It was totally over the wall.  I've been shaving almost everyday since then, and each day enjoying the feeling of my smooth scalp as a great start to the day.  But that's just my experience.  My bet is that you will have a similar feeling of liberation.  

January 21 is my date. ( holding off for personal reasons, but I've told so many friends that this will be the day, that I can't go back).

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 10:22:25 AM »
easy answer :D
"awesomeness, clean, smooth, shiny, hot"
:d
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 10:53:12 AM »
I like both, but they're like night and day.

I was zero-buzzing my head for decades (literally) before I shaved it all off. I was amazed at what a difference that minuscule amount of hair made. Huge difference.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 12:14:06 PM »
It's the difference between buzzed and shaved.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 02:12:02 PM »
It may not seem like much, but once you've been smooth, you'll know what we mean.  ;)

Offline KDusk

• Sly
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 02:55:55 PM »
I prefer the no guard buzz cut because I felt the complete shave left my scalp way too shiny. Plus, with the no guard buzz cut you can still see where my hair starts, somehow still framing my face. I was freaked out about not knowing where my forehead ended after the complete shave.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2011, 04:35:15 PM »
"Too shiny"?

"Too shiny?"

Hold on... I'm trying to wrap my brain around that one.

Isn't that like "too rich?" Not getting it...

8)