Author Topic: Okay, I've pretty much decided...  (Read 9125 times)

Offline spiralout1123211

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: Okay, I've pretty much decided...
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2010, 10:13:27 PM »
Alright, shaved it today, and damn, it's harder than I expected.  I tried doing it blind in the shower, like I shave my face, but I had to get out and finish in front of a mirror.  That mole makes it REALLY annoying.  Also, I only shaved front-to-back today as I didn't want to razor burn the crap outta my scalp.  The front is amazingly smooth, but the back is still a bit stubbly.  I'm loving it, though!  I can't wait until my whole head is totally smooth.  O0  And about that mole, I'm definitely going to get it removed, and possibly checked out.  It's been there for as long as I can remember, though, so I doubt it's anything.  Better safe than sorry, though. =D

And on a sidenote, I didn't realize how much my hair insulated my head.  It's freezing right now. o_O
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 10:18:52 PM by spiralout1123211 »

Offline geoguy

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2010, 10:38:11 PM »
Hey!!!  Congrats on taking that first step...   O0     
If I should wake up tomorrow morning, and all my hair grew back; I'd still shave it all off!!  Thank God I'm Bald!!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2010, 11:30:39 PM »
Congrats!!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 12:19:19 AM »
I sure remember that cold feeling, why I first went sly in the winter I'll never know!  ::)

Front to rear on top and bottom to top on the back is against the grain and the closest shave you can get.  If you're concerned about razor burn, try reversing that and go with the grain... top to front and top to bottom on the back.  O0

Check out these videos: http://www.headblade.com/headblade-101.html

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Dome of Steele

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2010, 12:35:48 AM »
Spiralout, the brothers have given great advice.  I was in a very similar position as you and I was 25 when I decided to take the plunge.  You were right about having nothing to lose, only something to gain (your life back!) by going sly. 
Even though you are substantially thinning, you have coverage all the way to the front and the thinning won't be apparent in the shadow.  You already look happier in that parking lot.  Family tends to give the worst reactions because they already have a certain image of you in mind and are weirded out by that image changing.  They will get over it, they have to, as family they will still love you and they will get over it.  You will probably hear comments both positive and negative for a few weeks then life will be fairly normal after that. 

My quicky routine:  Undercoat olive oil, cheapo shave gel, shaving against the grain with a Mach 3 in the shower.  First time you might want to go with the grain, then after a few days go against to skin close.  At first go slow and be careful to avoid cuts. 

Welcome and best of luck!
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090813/sampff0212de70bbab6a.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2010, 04:17:09 AM »
Way to go, bro
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2010, 07:36:45 AM »
This is great news, and we told you that you'd like it O0

Your technique will quickly improve and you'll find yourself, like most of us, addicts to a clean smooth head. 

You're in front of mpb now, get on with life and enjoy the hell out of it.  Post up the Sly Spiral and take part in the Forum, in so many ways for shaving it's great, but when they say "Brothers" they mean it in a way that you are just beginning to appreciate--this is a VERY special place, trust me on that one.

Offline PowerOfCheese

• Super Sly
  • Sly and be free
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2010, 10:43:23 AM »
Looks awesome! Get the mole removed. I shave my head or just keep it buzzed like your step 1 but have never been able to do either without the help of a mirror. I probably could at this point but I'm already set in my routine. Part of the fun for me is watching it getting removed.

Yes, colder head but definitely more sensitive to it at first. That'll regulate but I still insist on a hoodie or hat when it's cold.

Again, looks great. Congrats! It totally suits you.
---- The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is given to the less talented as a consolation prize. - Robert Hughes

Offline spiralout1123211

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2010, 04:12:55 PM »
I decided to try to shave against the grain both ways today, and man my head is nice and smooth.  I love it!  I do have a few red spots on my head from razor burn, but I'll get better at shaving with time.  I got some Bald Guyz moisturizer to help with the irritation, and I had a bit of a Home Alone moment...

WTF?!  I thought this was supposed to HELP with the burning, not contribute to it!  :*))  Anyways, loving the new look, thanks for the support, guys.

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2010, 05:43:29 PM »
 O0 Dear Spiral:
                        Glad you took the plunge. I did it 3 1/2 years ago and have never regretted it or hankered to regrow what's left of my hair. Each sly bro works up his own regimen, usually after experimentation and experience. I was never content with going with the grain, and very soon evolved this technique: hottest shower you can stand, application of Headblade shave cream, application of Fusion gel, complete front-to-back shave, re-lather with saved cream, back-to-front shave, repeat same operation on face and neck (avoiding goat), re-lather head and cheeks, final to-the-bone shave until all surfaces are utterly smooth. Rarely knick anything, and BaldGuyz Moisture Gel takes care of any razor burn or cut. Whole operation takes under 15 minutes. Head stays chrome smooth for about four hours, when velcro starts reappearing. Have found it's better to shave daily. If I skip a day, tiny skin pucker around hair-shaft resists the razor, requiring new or almost new blade. Let us know about your progress. Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline stoic1975

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2010, 06:35:35 PM »
Hi there spiral,

I wanted to echo what so many others have eloquently said.  I went sly in June/July of this past year and I could NOT be happier.  My wife thinks I'm sexy, i get comments on my beautiful melon, and most of all I feel extremely confident where I used to wonder if folks were looking at my thinning hair.

I also agree that you'll get your own routine as you go.  My head was so sensitive when I first started that I immediately went for an electric razor.  now I've gone back to the old mach3, shave oil, and headslick/bald guyz.  You'll have it down in no time.

One word of caution:  you'll be tempted to quit when you run against negative comments, shave bumps or cuts.  Trust me, please, that you'll get over all that and will just plain enjoy the awesome feeling of a freshly shaved head.

Take care and best wishes,

Brett

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2010, 06:52:33 PM »
....having a shaved head for 15 years was an awesome experience for me..and one I'm sure I will return to one day..

So what's stopping you?   >:D

Offline Sooner Steve

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2010, 09:25:52 AM »
Hey Spiralout.  Glad you found us.  The fellas have given you some great advice and it sounds like it is working.  As for the red spots, I went through those for about 30 days.  Then I started using a Head Blade product called Clear Head. You apply it after you shave and pat dry your head with a towel.  It really works well for me.  Other guys use other products - this one worked for me.  Give it a try and see what you think.

I want give you my whole story but when I lost my hairpiece I went to a local barber called Jack The Ripper who buzzed me down with a 00.  What a liberating experience.

Enjoy your new found freedom from hair worries.  Let the wind blow now.

Sooner Steve
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts." - Coach John Wooden

[img]http://tickers.Tick

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2010, 09:42:13 AM »
....having a shaved head for 15 years was an awesome experience for me..and one I'm sure I will return to one day..
So what's stopping you?   >:D

Very good question, enquiring minds want to know :/O.

Offline bem75

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2010, 02:38:42 PM »
Spiralout, I really loved reading this story.  I have been off the forum for a while (basically just really busy).  This was a great story to read, coming back to SBG.  I had Deja Vu.  I went through all the same stuff that you are going through.  Enjoy it!  That first shave feeling doesn't come back again.

By the way, from the buzzed pic, you look much better with a shaved head.  Congratulations!