Author Topic: Brain Surgery Scar  (Read 17351 times)

Offline viper3two

• Sly Guy in Training
Brain Surgery Scar
« on: October 19, 2009, 11:46:27 PM »
Hey all
Saw this forum and thought maybe somebody would have an answer for me. I nearly died a couple months ago with a brain aneurysm. Fortunantly no deficites and recovery is going good, thankful like crazy to be alive.  Whats crappy is I have an 8 inch scar on my head now. I don't mind shaving my head as I do that alot in the summer time. Sometimes I wear my hair about an inch on top and 1/4 inch on the sides. Bad thing is now my hair is dark and that scar has a 1/2" wide area for the length of it where no hair is growing at all. I think the surgery shocked it, the other side of my head is thick.
So, question is........
Has anybody out there had a big surgery like this and what is the best option? Shave it or let the hair get really long and comb over the scar? I am starting now to try to grow it, but I think it looks a little better shaved anyways......
Thanks and sorry if this has been asked before, I am totally newb here......
Tony
Here are pics of that scar!
This is 3 weeks ago:

This was 5 weeks ago with staples in:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 11:48:37 PM by viper3two »

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
Re: Brain Surgery Scar
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 12:56:58 AM »
I am having a Pixel laser used on my incisions and other hair transplant scars on the back of my head. There is a great deal that can be done to modify/reduce most scars today. Yours may respond to the  various scar repair creams around. I would suggest asking for a referral to a good dermatologist or even cosmetic surgeon in your area. Being that the scar is "new" it may respond better now rather than waiting. My scars are 15 years old. I was young and insecure about hair loss. Now I  love being bald but want less visible scarring. ANother thread here in the Tatoo section has 2 tatoo artists who can tatoo ink made to look like hair stubble into scars or even for those wishing to appear to have shaved stubble when naturally bald. The links are in Hair Replication I think in the Tatoo section. The hard art is behind you...now start a new chapter in your life.

Offline viper3two

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 01:21:08 AM »
Thanks man, appreciate the response. Looking into the options!  O0

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 05:36:37 AM »
Tony-

Welcome to the Forum! After surviving a brain anuerysym I would think having that scar would mean so very little in a negative way and could be worn more as a source of pride. The Grim Reaper knocked on your door and you sent him on his way!!

Good for you Dude!!

I personally do NOT think combovers are ever a good idea...... it will always look like you are trying to hide something.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline viper3two

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 08:38:15 AM »
Hi Mike
Thanks for the reply and the positive words! I agree that a combover does look like you are hiding something, and really I don't want to do that, I wear my head either shaved or pretty close to it. It didn't bother me at first but when the other side grew normally and the incision side just fell out....I was like what the heck?! I am extremely lucky really, I shouldn't be here. I am definately happy about that! Thanks again for getting back to me and helping out. Oh, and this forum is awesome...didn't know about it till yesterday. Plan on sticking around here!
Tony

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 10:27:15 AM »
Tony, I echo what Mike said.  As a survivor of 4 open-heart surgeries I wear the scar with pride.  You'll learn to live with it and eventually you'll be able to look in the mirror and you won't even notice it. 
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 10:52:38 AM »
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Offline viper3two

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 11:04:02 AM »
Shadowside and Tyler! Hey guys this is making me not even think about it now....you know, you guys are right. I kicked this thing in the ass and I should be proud of that!! Shadow, that statement just stuck in my head, I think that will be my new attitude.  Tyler....I am sorry to hear what you had to go through, but glad you made it. It's kinda like me, there is a reason for everything and we are still here for a reason. Thanks to both you guys!  O0

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 11:16:50 AM »
Bro, the scar will fade with time. But it looks seriously bad ass I would wear it with pride. O0

Offline JasonR

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 03:31:16 PM »
Pretty crazy dude. Chics dig scars. You should shave the 'stache...go for more of a badass look w/ that scar. LOL

Not too mention mustaches are sooo 70s! haha.

In all seriousness...take good care of the scar. Don't get too much sun...wear a hat outside etc. I'd be interested in hearing what cosmetic surgeouns / dermatologists say....

Offline viper3two

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 06:25:18 PM »
Heya Jason
Ya know I could get rid of that tache and do the centered goatee, that might look cool! Hell, I'm gonna give it a shot.... Appreciate the advise on that scar, didn't know about the sun and stuff.... Thanks man!

Offline joergHH

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 02:48:03 AM »
In all seriousness...take good care of the scar. Don't get too much sun...wear a hat outside etc. I'd be interested in hearing what cosmetic surgeouns / dermatologists say....

Good points!

Hello welcome, viper3two!

Congrats you survived the aneurysma!!

The scar will change and the skin will remodel. Try different lengths of your hair O0
and you will find the best look for you.
Best wishes.

J

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 08:05:42 AM »
Welcome Tony! So glad that you have found our group of great people.  And I am certainly glad that you came through the operation.  A lady friend of mine just went through the same operation and will have to have a second one in about a month.  Wear the scar with honor and remember that you came through with flying colors.  God be with you.
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline viper3two

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 10:27:02 AM »
Thanks joergHH and Papa Don, you guys are building my confidence! So glad that I found this forum, I really appreciate it.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 08:16:47 AM »
My son-in-law has a friend who's been dealing with brain cancer for several years.  His scar is also large, at one point after one of his several operations they put the bone from his skull in his abdominal cavity while the hole was left covered only by skin to accomodate any swelling.  He is Sly, partially from the effects of chemo, but sly he is and when people ask, he just tells them his story--all are impressed.  If you shave down, I think you'll get the same reaction. 
Two months isn't a long time for a scar, after a year you might want to consider some plastic surgery unlesss it is diagnosed as a keloid--and they can deal with that too--it's not life threatening.  Good luck, glad to have you here.