Author Topic: What to do?  (Read 18317 times)

Offline BaldnBearded

• Sly Jr.
What to do?
« on: October 12, 2009, 06:13:05 PM »
Hey guys hows it going?Haven't participated much on these boards but I'am still bald.When I went bald in august, i made it about two and a half weeks and then grew my hair back, only to be devasted with how much more hair I've lost in the crown.Been sly again for three weeks now.I've got a pretty solid goatee right now (About 5 weeks of growth).To be honest, I don't really like having a goatee.I mean it's alright, but I prefer being full bearded.I've had a full beard since I was 20 (Almost 24 now) and feel most comfortable that way.I really am liking the bald look but part of the reason I grew my hair last time was because I was not confident at all rocking a full beard and bald head.My question is, do you guys think I can pull off that look for only being 23?With winter coming, i;d like to grow a nice bushy beard too but i just feel like it might not look right.What do you all think?

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: What to do?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 06:16:37 PM »
Dude....remember! It's about you and what feels right for you. Personally I think a guy your age can rock the full beard look with no problem.
Grow the beard and walk tall and confident with it......the world will be your oyster (old saying....look it up!)!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 06:45:59 PM »
GO FOR IT, hard to beat the full beard and sly look O0
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 06:56:14 PM »
Go for it.  Looks like you have a really black beard.  It'll look great.

Check out this bro:  http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2490

Now that's a beard!  Wish I could grow one like that.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 07:00:38 PM »
If you're interested in what others think "looks best", my opinion here is that it really depends upon your physical characteristics.  I've seen some guys that look like they were born to have a beard and bald head, while for others the beard looks completely out of place.  Whereas when it comes to goatees, I find they tend to look fine on anyone (except women and infants).

I've grown a full beard a couple times since going sly and it just doesn't look right on me.  I think it would have looked alright if I had hair, but doesn't work on me when I'm bald.  I'm also not much of a fan of having hair all over my face and once the novelty of the beard wears off I feel the need to shave back down to the goatee.  Like you with your beard, I feel like the goatee is basically part of me.

As for you, you ought to at least give it a shot and see what YOU think about your beard.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 07:22:08 PM »
I was curious to see if you had a "before" and possibly bearded picture here and I found that you have another thread entitled Well Men...http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=8684.msg151594#msg151594 where you have two photos of yourself with a beard and severely sliced up head (you need to rethink shaving your head with a pocket knife)

Hope you don't mind but I'm linking the photos here since it's relevant to this thread.  You already posted them so I'm assuming you won't mind:

Seriously, did you need a transfusion after this shave?  :)

That's a damn good beard and you ought to give it another chance.  You have really wide sideburns too.  You have it trimmed and outlined really well.  I like the outline you shaved under your ears where you gave it a nice curve.  One of the reasons I grew my last beard was because I wanted to give that outlining a shot and I thought it looked better than letting my beard grow as it wanted out beyond my ear.  But in the end it still had to go! 

So what happened, did someone give you grief over the bald head / beard combo look or something?
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline BaldnBearded

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 08:06:06 PM »
No haven't gottenany grief.I'm just still not 100% confident being bald and I think being bald and full bearded is a pretty appearence altering look.Especially considering I'd like to grow my beard to an inch or two in length for the winter.I'm just afraid of rocking the look.Kinda feel like the bald bearded look isn't gonna have the girls flocking either.And as for the sliced up head, that was back in January, it was my first time ever shaving my head.Haha I definitly butchered it, but I'm real good at shaving it now

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 08:16:59 PM »
Go for it, I say.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 08:19:47 PM »
Full beard w/ a shaved head, why not???  Sometimes you just have to see a whole lot of examples, each a different beard to get comfortable w/ something that works for you.  I suggest you visit beards.org and look at their galleries.  There will be something there that you may like or you can see a version that, adapted to your face, beard density, etc., works for you.  
I've had full beards, but that's before the mpb hit full steam.  I steered away from a full one because for me, personally, I couldn't figure out a way to end the beard and begin the shaved head.  Your slanted treatment at the ears is interesting.  I decided to do the extended goatee, and I feel it works for me.  But all these things come back to what the guys have already said.  It's you, and what works for you and that you're happy with--it's just you.  

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 08:35:58 PM »
Go for the full beard.  It looks cool ...
“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

slyatlast

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 08:49:10 PM »
I agree - genetics gave you a full, dark beard.  Might as well show it off.

BTW, what happened to Coltsfan?  Haven't seen him for awhile.  Busy watching his 5-0 team maybe.

BALDANDRE

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 11:53:32 PM »
Go for it..I think it looks great! O0

Offline Iconic

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 04:13:06 AM »
What a beard!! You must keep it. I personally think that everyone has the right to look the best they can. That beard really suits you.

Offline Vash

• Be Kind For Everyone You Meet Is Fighting A Hard Battle
  • Super Sly
  • Bald, Bearded, Tattooed, Awesome!
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 05:32:52 AM »
Looks fantastic! And especially with winter acomin', I say rock it out!  O0
~Vash

FB: Vashon Bench
Twitter: @gingerbeardpdx
Instagram: @gingerbeardpdx

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 06:35:17 AM »
Keep it, looks great dude.  Wish I could grow a descent beard...

Enter your email address: