Author Topic: 19 and Bitterly Depressed... Can Anyone Help me?  (Read 19443 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: 19 and Bitterly Depressed... Can Anyone Help me?
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2009, 07:36:08 PM »
I think we may have lost this one, guys.   :(

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2009, 07:47:46 PM »
Well, I went ahead and shaved it down to 3mm... much (much) happier with it now, but still want to finish the job.

I was wondering if anyone had any good advice on what tools I will need... so far Im thinking I'll need a good head razor, cream if it isnt an electric, perhaps some sort of sun tanning lotion? Anyone know a good place to purchase these sorts of items? I can order off the internet if necessary, but I'd prefer to pick it up in person. Easier that way.

Fortunately I dont think lumpiness will be as much a problem... I only feel one sort of "dent", and honestly, I think its a really small deal. If someone isnt interested in me over something as vain as dent in the back of my dome, they're too vain for my tastes anyway. Otherwise, Im loving the sleek feel. I think I can get used to being bald   O0

Thanks for all your help :)

RazorX, I don't understand your comment :/O, albeit he hasn't returned for a week or so.  I don't think this is one that is lost--this one is a possiblity.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2009, 09:46:20 PM »
Well, I went ahead and shaved it down to 3mm... much (much) happier with it now, but still want to finish the job.

I was wondering if anyone had any good advice on what tools I will need... so far Im thinking I'll need a good head razor, cream if it isnt an electric, perhaps some sort of sun tanning lotion? Anyone know a good place to purchase these sorts of items? I can order off the internet if necessary, but I'd prefer to pick it up in person. Easier that way.

Fortunately I dont think lumpiness will be as much a problem... I only feel one sort of "dent", and honestly, I think its a really small deal. If someone isnt interested in me over something as vain as dent in the back of my dome, they're too vain for my tastes anyway. Otherwise, Im loving the sleek feel. I think I can get used to being bald   O0

RazorX, I don't understand your comment :/O, albeit he hasn't returned for a week or so.  I don't think this is one that is lost--this one is a possiblity.

Oops ... my bad.   :-[  I must have missed that post.  I just remembered his initial post and then he sort of disappeared.

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2009, 12:13:58 AM »
he may come back

Oops ... my bad.   :-[  I must have missed that post.  I just remembered his initial post and then he sort of disappeared.

Offline FormerlyBitterNBroken

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2009, 03:27:40 PM »
Nope, I'm still around! =)

Sorry for not dropping by sooner, but to be honest I've been having such a great time being bald I haven't had the chance to come here and update for you all

Been shaving it to the scalp with a Mach 3 for a few weeks now... and I'm EXTREMELY happy with it. Sleek, smooth, clean, professional, sexy all come to mind when describing the look. Its alot easier to take care of, and I can finally spend an entire day without wondering what my hair looks like. This is the single most freeing thing I've felt in my entire life. Through the end of high school I could spend entire days just fretting over my hair. No longer. Now I can finally smile and mean it and really connect with people without spending the entire time praying their eyes wouldn't wander above my eyebrows.

On an impulse, I went to a club a couple weeks ago and never had more fun in my life. I had gorgeous guys hitting on me for the majority of the night, and quite a few took a particular liking to smooth dome... rubbing and licking included =D

The most negative comment I've recieved have just been strangers asking a quizzical "Why would you shave your head?!", mostly a sort of strange curiosity then any repulsion. I simply explain to them that my hair was thinning and ragged and I was tired of dealing with it so off it went. (Note especially that all of these individuals hadn't met me before I shaved.... I dont think they'd be asking that same question if they had seen it before =P )

I've gotten more comfortable with shaving now, although its alot harder to achieve the same level of smooth in the back than on top. If I try too hard I just give myself razor burn. I've cut myself twice, neither particularly bad. The first time I was shaving by my ear and was like "durr, my ear curves here so I'll do the same with the razor" and made like a question-mark motion with the razor and did a number right above my ear... not bad, but like all head wounds it bled alot. Healed within 2-3 days though.

Second time was a bit worse... I've got a mole in dead center toward the back, juuuust over the bump where I can't see it. Its raised a good bit over the rest of the skin there and I nicked it nice and good, and boy did that little sucker bleed. Bleed, bleed, bleed. Its finally healed now, but I know I'll do this again sometime in the future.

Anyone got any good suggestions when it comes to mole removal?

Also, I took you guys up on your fitness advice, and I gave that trainer a call. I'm now going to his gym 3 times a week now, and I'm also overhauling my entire diet. I feel much healthier now (no more greasy, yucky fast food) and I'm noticing subtle differences in musculature now. I've paid for 3 months of training with this chum so I can get a good feel for exercises, nutrition, form, and using equipment correctly, and then I'll just get a generic gym membership and keep myself in shape.

I can't thank you all enough for your help... I feel more confident, healthy, and happy then at any other point in my life. Best of all I've actually got incredibly attractive people showing interest in ME for once. Such a refreshing change of pace =)

I'd post up some photos, but frankly the lighting in my room just sucks and they make for a poor appearance - I'll try and get my friends to take some better ones later and I'll put them up for you all to peruse.

Thanks again, and if anyone knows a good method for removing moles, give me a shout =P

marty22

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2009, 03:40:23 PM »
see your dermatologist; it's that simple.

Offline FormerlyBitterNBroken

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2009, 03:59:25 PM »
Are they able to do it same-day appointment? Or is it more of a complicated procedure? Are they able to do more than one at a time? I've got a few further back on the dome that I'd like removed for this same reason.

Also, how expensive is the procedure? This recession is killing my bank account ><

marty22

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2009, 04:40:58 PM »
Depends......call for an appointment. Im sure that the removing of moles, if not covered by insurance, and assuming a simple lifting or nitrous-oxide procedure, is like $75 a pop.

Offline crazy.irish.celt

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2009, 04:41:54 PM »
1.)  Mole removal typically require two appointments. The second appointment (surgery) is typically scheduled for early morning and will take about 15-20 minutes per mole depending on the method of removal, number of moles, their proximity to one another, etc.  So, yes.  You can have more than one removed in a single session.

2.)  Mole removal can cost anywhere from $100-150 on average per mole, but this can vary significantly depending on size and the type of procedure and how greedy your dermatologist is.  Insurance will usually cover about 90% of the cost of the procedure.  They will opt to send at least one mole in for a biopsy to make sure it isn't cancerous (this is typically not the case and usually done just to cover their ass)

I recently had a few moles removed from my head via the punch method.  These were anywhere from 4-6 mm in diameter (size of a pencil eraser).  They cut it out, cauterized it, and stitched it up.  I had 1" stitches hanging from my head for about two weeks and had to return to the dermatologist to have them removed.  After that, it took about 1-2 months for the wound to completely heal over, leaving only the tiniest of flat, brownish, linear scars.  I am pale, so you can still see them a little, although I was assured they would fade even more within a year's time.  If you can tan AT ALL, these will be virtually invisible.

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2009, 05:05:19 PM »
As for shaving around the mole, I have a sly friend who uses a headblade on his entire head except for around the mole.  For that he uses an electric razor.  That area is not as smooth as the rest, but it certainly keeps the blood loss down.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2009, 06:59:09 PM »
Glad to hear that things are looking up.

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2009, 08:37:19 AM »
I have a ton more respect for people that shave their heads  at your age,

keep it clean

Nope, I'm still around! =)

Sorry for not dropping by sooner, but to be honest I've been having such a great time being bald I haven't had the chance to come here and update for you all

Been shaving it to the scalp with a Mach 3 for a few weeks now... and I'm EXTREMELY happy with it. Sleek, smooth, clean, professional, sexy all come to mind when describing the look. Its alot easier to take care of, and I can finally spend an entire day without wondering what my hair looks like. This is the single most freeing thing I've felt in my entire life. Through the end of high school I could spend entire days just fretting over my hair. No longer. Now I can finally smile and mean it and really connect with people without spending the entire time praying their eyes wouldn't wander above my eyebrows.

On an impulse, I went to a club a couple weeks ago and never had more fun in my life. I had gorgeous guys hitting on me for the majority of the night, and quite a few took a particular liking to smooth dome... rubbing and licking included =D

The most negative comment I've recieved have just been strangers asking a quizzical "Why would you shave your head?!", mostly a sort of strange curiosity then any repulsion. I simply explain to them that my hair was thinning and ragged and I was tired of dealing with it so off it went. (Note especially that all of these individuals hadn't met me before I shaved.... I dont think they'd be asking that same question if they had seen it before =P )

I've gotten more comfortable with shaving now, although its alot harder to achieve the same level of smooth in the back than on top. If I try too hard I just give myself razor burn. I've cut myself twice, neither particularly bad. The first time I was shaving by my ear and was like "durr, my ear curves here so I'll do the same with the razor" and made like a question-mark motion with the razor and did a number right above my ear... not bad, but like all head wounds it bled alot. Healed within 2-3 days though.

Second time was a bit worse... I've got a mole in dead center toward the back, juuuust over the bump where I can't see it. Its raised a good bit over the rest of the skin there and I nicked it nice and good, and boy did that little sucker bleed. Bleed, bleed, bleed. Its finally healed now, but I know I'll do this again sometime in the future.

Anyone got any good suggestions when it comes to mole removal?

Also, I took you guys up on your fitness advice, and I gave that trainer a call. I'm now going to his gym 3 times a week now, and I'm also overhauling my entire diet. I feel much healthier now (no more greasy, yucky fast food) and I'm noticing subtle differences in musculature now. I've paid for 3 months of training with this chum so I can get a good feel for exercises, nutrition, form, and using equipment correctly, and then I'll just get a generic gym membership and keep myself in shape.

I can't thank you all enough for your help... I feel more confident, healthy, and happy then at any other point in my life. Best of all I've actually got incredibly attractive people showing interest in ME for once. Such a refreshing change of pace =)

I'd post up some photos, but frankly the lighting in my room just sucks and they make for a poor appearance - I'll try and get my friends to take some better ones later and I'll put them up for you all to peruse.

Thanks again, and if anyone knows a good method for removing moles, give me a shout =P

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2009, 12:16:23 PM »
The only other charge, if you don't have insurance, might be a biopsy by a pathologist if any of these have any characteristics that might indicate a skin cancer.  Usually insurance picks up 100% of that charge.

Offline PeripheralxMvmnt

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • A vida não é ruim.
    • Program Hound
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2009, 06:48:40 AM »
I just had a huge mole removed from my head and had the stitches taken out last week. they excised a large amount of skin down to the fatty tissue to make sure that they got it all. Its not too much of a hassle. The dermatologist gave me shots of anesthetic around the mole and some saleen (sp?) around the mole to raise the skin a little. It took her about 30 minutes to do the whole thing and the scar has healed up quite nicely. Shaving around it was quite a pain, but I had my wife to help me.

Glad to hear that your life has turned around for the better! Its amazing what the power of a razorblade can accomplish for you!
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080816/sampace1aad00c2d75ff.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2009, 07:07:53 AM »
 P@^  (**!  p#@t That is great news!!!! Glad to hear that you did the deed and as a result you probably look and definatly sound much more confident!!!! I guess now that means you'll have to change your screen name huh? As you may have noticed we are like a family here on SBG and I know alot of us were worried about you, so it is a relief to hear you are doing well.

Keep us posted!!
AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader