Author Topic: Hey guys, Any DE users?? I'd like some opinions...  (Read 11199 times)

Offline Dan-O-Mite

• DanOMite
  • Sly
    • www.myspace.com/dangman
Hey guys, Any DE users?? I'd like some opinions...
« on: June 25, 2009, 11:27:09 AM »
Although I have no real issues for my head shaving and am Happy with where I'm currently at with that and enjoy it, Face shaving is still a chore for me. For a guy who's only 21, I have a fairly heavy beard and fair/sensitive skin. Currently I use a sensor 3 and have used the fusion and mach 3 as well. Frankly Its difficult to shave with these(redness, irritation bumps(going against the grain). I can only shave with the grain normally and on occasion I can shave once going across the grain.

I've been reading into it alot lately and pretty much all of the people who switched to DE claimed that those problems disappeared upon finding the right type of razor, blade, and settings if the razor is adjustable. I'm really on the fence about trying this and was hoping I could get some opinions/help on this matter.

hope to hear from you guys and thanks for your help...

Its good to be bald my friends :)

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
Re: Hey guys, Any DE users?? I'd like some opinions...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 12:45:55 PM »
I'm sorry, I have to ask what DE is?
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 02:04:52 PM »

Double-Edge safety razor.  Your dad probably had one.  I learned to shave with one of these, then graduated to a single-edge injector razor.
Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 02:09:53 PM »
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Dan-O-Mite

• DanOMite
  • Sly
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 03:07:25 PM »

Sorry about not specifying enough, Double Edge Saftey Razor

Still look forward to hear some opinions on them for face shaving

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 01:13:49 PM »
Double-Edge safety razor.  Your dad probably had one.  I learned to shave with one of these, then graduated to a single-edge injector razor.

Thank you, Red. You're absolutely right about dad. Actually if I remember correctly this was the only kind of razor available here in East Germany before the reunification. However I have always been using an electric shaver.
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline alabamalawyer

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 10:15:43 PM »
I use a DE or straight razor for face shaving and will never go back to a Mach 3 or other cartridge razor.  The technology for the Mach 3 and other such multi-blade cartridge razors is for the first blade to pull the hair and the second and subsequent blades to cut it.  This can result in the hair being cut below skin level with resulting ingrown hairs and other skin irritations.

A DE razor uses a single, sharper blade to cut the hair.  The shave consists of passes that gradually reduce the stubble.  I make three passses with my DE and get an excellent shave without any irritation.

There is a transition period as the DE requires learning some technique.  The main thing is to avoid pressing down on the razor when shaving.  This takes some adjustment as cartridges require pressure.  If you use pressure you will get irritation with a DE.

I would suggest checking out one of the shaving sites that deal with DE and straight razors -- badgerandblade.com; shavemyface.com or theshaveden.com as they are excellent sources of information for all areas of traditional wetshaving.
Chris

Offline frank_m

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 02:08:56 PM »
Although I have no real issues for my head shaving and am Happy with where I'm currently at with that and enjoy it, Face shaving is still a chore for me. For a guy who's only 21, I have a fairly heavy beard and fair/sensitive skin. Currently I use a sensor 3 and have used the fusion and mach 3 as well. Frankly Its difficult to shave with these(redness, irritation bumps(going against the grain). I can only shave with the grain normally and on occasion I can shave once going across the grain.

I've been reading into it alot lately and pretty much all of the people who switched to DE claimed that those problems disappeared upon finding the right type of razor, blade, and settings if the razor is adjustable. I'm really on the fence about trying this and was hoping I could get some opinions/help on this matter.

hope to hear from you guys and thanks for your help...

Dan,

I am a DE user, and have been for over a year..
I am quite happy with the results.

I still use the Head Blade for my head... I haven't tried the DE on the head yet.

Offline sgbsteve

• BBC And Lovin It
  • Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 09:34:46 PM »
alabamalawyer hit on most of the points I was going to.  the sites he mentioned are excellent resources.  Also wetshaving instead of using canned foam/gel can help with irritation because of the better quality lather and using an aftershave balm after the shave will help with the irritation and bumps.  Even using the DE and wetshaving I had to start using aftershave since I had to start wearing a tie to work again.  I used to use the expensive brands but I recently ran out and picked up some Nivea cooling post shave balm at the grocery store and it seems to be working just as well as the expensive stuff.  It doesn't smell as nice but thats what cologne is for right?

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 09:59:31 PM »
I have periodically used a straight razor after inheriting my great-grandfather's (hand carved whale bone handle and high quality blade).  Although his is still sharper than you could ever imagine after 100 years of age, I bought my own so that I would not ruin this family heirloom.

Man, do you ever have to be careful with these things.  Positioning is key.  And never under ANY circumstances do you want to make any side movement on the blade.  I have to say it takes lots of practice, but is the closest shave I have ever had.  I was able to go three days without shaving and had no irritation other than the random nicks I carved into my face while learning to use it.

Some years ago while still in the Army, I went for a haircut at a predominantly african-american barbershop where they finished off the edges even around the ears with a straight razor.  I did not twitch because the experience was a bit frightening.  But the barber was a master with the blade and I never had a haircut that looked and felt so good.

I don't think I will ever have the guts to try it on my head myself though.

Offline BaldBear

• Bald, Bearded and Bear!
  • Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • "woof!"
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 08:05:11 AM »
I use a fusion for the main part of my head but I use a straight razor on my face and finish up around the ears/beard when shaving my head.
Woof!
"The more hair I lose...the more head I get!"

Offline HeadbladerBob

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 12:10:53 PM »
I use a Merker vision for my face and have doing so for 3 yrs now

O0
God created only so many beautiful heads, the rest are covered by hair

Offline Dan-O-Mite

• DanOMite
  • Sly
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 12:33:31 AM »
I'm definitely a convert to the DE for face shaving, and use old fashioned lather with a brush for both head and face.

for me I have alot less irritation and I can actually get a decently close shave, takes alot of getting used to though as far as technique goes. also i experience no tugging or pulling that i used to with the cartridge razors for my face shaving, this is definitely the way to shave my face for me. I know some people can use an electric without any issues. For me this left me raw and red, mainly my neck, if I tried to shave it more than once a week. I switched to the catridge razors and I was able to work it up to every other/ or every day where I could shave my face and neck with and occasionally across the grain without any issues, but NEVER against the grain.  With the DE I can shave with and across and occasionally against the grain as well without any serious issues.

Nicks are an occasional thing but become less and less with practice..one of the best benefits though is how cheap these are in comparison to catridge razors, so this is also a potential idea for those of you who are on a tight budget.

for you face shavers who suffer from lots of razor burn, acne, or ingrown hairs, i definitely reccomend giving a DE a try.

Offline sam2021

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 08:23:57 PM »
It is not simply a razor or a style of blade, but a type of shave.  It is called wet shaving.  I use a straight razor but started with a 1940's de.  It can become a very detailed and satisfying experience.  There is a steep start cost but it is a one time buy.  You want a good heavy CROME plated razor handle and good starter blades.  I would suggest getting crystal (red) blades.  Then a cheep brush with bowl and soap will run about $7. 

1 run a HOT sink of water
2 clear about 40 - 90 min for shaving.
3 drop a rag or end of a towel in HOT water then lay hot rag on face for about 3 min.
4 dip brush in water then flick off most of the water and use smooth circles to build lather in the bowl.
5 get baby oil or baby oil jell and coat face with light coat
6 use brush to lay on thick layer of rich lather and work in circles then lay down a second coat.
7 hold razor just off vert and slowly glide down carefull not to put preasure on the handle, let the razor do its job.

repeat 1-7 till fully shaved or baby butt smooth.

8 wash face with rag and warm water then run COLD water and rinse face.
9 apply aftershave and use styptic pencil where needed.

Your shave will be so smooth and close with no razor burn you will never go back.

Offline Antimidas

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Actual name is Marty.
    • Antimidas.net
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 10:46:21 AM »
I gave up the styptic pencil and switched to an alum block.  They are harder to find except online, but take care of even the little nicks you don't see.  And they leave no residue behind.

Enter your email address: