Author Topic: Hey guys, Any DE users?? I'd like some opinions...  (Read 11200 times)

Offline Iconic

• Sly Jr.
Re: Hey guys, Any DE users?? I'd like some opinions...
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 08:14:32 AM »
Here's one new DE user. I was so curious that I decided to try what it's like. I'm growing a beard, but I still need to shave under chin and around neck to keep it neat. Wanted to see if it was easier done with DE razor. No, it wasn't. My first experiment, some ten minutes ago, was murder. I'm sitting here throat cut and thinking what went wrong  :-X

Not a promising start but I guess there's a learning curve... It certainly wasn't easier, more comfortable or more precise than with my Mach 3. I used HeadSlick which is always working very well for me. I may have been too hasty in my routine, so I'm gonna give myself some time  before I can say if it's for me or not.

Offline sometimesmooth

• Learning the way of Sly
  • Shaved by Choice
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 02:07:13 AM »
Hi, I`ve not used a  DE for years, but had similar prob to you.  i was introduced to the  King of Shaves Razr & oil system. The oil moisturises and raises the stubble and the razr is a flexible very light 3 blade system, shave with the grain for a perfect shave. Hope this helps.

Offline Dan-O-Mite

• DanOMite
  • Sly
    • www.myspace.com/dangman
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 05:19:24 AM »
it takes a long time to master the DE razor, NO PRESSURE, correct blade angle and good lather are a MUST.

Try watching Mantic59's  videos on youtube for help with this
Its good to be bald my friends :)

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 06:27:46 AM »
it takes a long time to master the DE razor, NO PRESSURE, correct blade angle and good lather are a MUST.

Try watching Mantic59's  videos on youtube for help with this

Couldn't agree more. Don't try it when you're in a hurry and trying to get out the door. Take the time to master the "no pressure" since the actual razor  has some weight to it without adding any extra pressue. The angle is key, too. It's worth the extra time.

Plus it's just retro-cool to use something our dads and grandfathers used.

Offline Iconic

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 02:32:51 PM »
Thanks for advice, guys. Mantic59's videos were excellent.

This time I was nearly happy with the result. No pressure, no hurry, determined straight movements. Seems to me that using DE requires much more lather than otherwise. Is  shaving oil better for this than normal foams? Foam or gel needs to be constanly reapplied. Or would you recommend shaving soap?

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 05:21:38 PM »
I just started using a DE on my face a couple of weeks ago and though I now have many, I'm trying them all to see which ones I like and which ones I don't. So far my favorite is the 1920 Gold model on the left. No pressure and it shaves like a champ. I've tried a couple of TTO's and a 1966 adjustable but they don't give the shave like this old guy. I have a couple of more 1930's 3 piece models (one gold and one silver) to try out. But, so far the 1920 3 piece has given the best shave. O0

Tis better to have a bald head than no head at all.

Offline thegilp

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2009, 09:31:32 PM »
I shave my head with a mercur 34d DE with feather blades.  I cut the $#!t out of my self the first few times I did it, but soon got the technique down.  Start slow with lots of lather and pay close attention to the angle.  They are called double edge SAFETY razors for a reason, the only way to really cut yourself is to slide the blade sideways (commonly done by angling the razor slightly).  Ive been shaving with them for about a year and can confidently shave my face and head with no mirror or nicks, and can do it in less than 10 min if I'm not after that baby butt smooth feeling.  I have not worked up the balls to try my straight on my head but maybe someday.

Overall, I recommend DE to anybody who does't mind spending a little more time for perfection. and as stated previously, there are great sights out there to help get you started

ycartt

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2010, 07:37:33 PM »
Any of you D/E shavers using it on your head in addition to your face?  Also, are you using the D/E in the shower or at the sink?

Offline alabamalawyer

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2010, 10:50:01 AM »
I use a DE on my head and face.  It takes some time to adjust to using it, but once done, the shave takes about the same time as with a cartridge razor.   I shave at the sink, but I shave my face in the a.m. and my head in evenings.
Chris

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2010, 07:34:58 PM »
I use a DE once in a while, but it seems like in winter, it's more destructive and shreds...maybe it's the condition of my skin?

Offline TK4108

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
I've used a late 40's DE on my face for years, but I've not been brave enough to try it on my dome yet.

Offline Rev. Cleanhead

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Rob
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011, 07:56:35 PM »
I made the switch to DE about a year ago and haven't looked back.  If you haven't leanred yet, a BIG key to a successful DE shave is to NOT put any pressure on the razor.  Just let the weight of the razor do the work; think light touch.

I usually wear the traditional clergy collar which is almost as uncomfortable as a necktie, and I'm very sensitive to ingrown hairs and razor bumps, especially on my neck.  I've found that patting in some baby powder before putting on my shirt significantly helps keep my collar from rubbing my neck raw. 
You can't part the skin of a sausage,
Or a dad from his fond son and heir.
And you can't part the hair on a bald-headed man,
For there'll be no parting there.  ~Billy Bennett

Offline Brasspower

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 07:17:06 PM »
I've been using a DE for a few months now and here is what I have found:

1)  Everything (that's common between sources) you read on guides is true.  You use very little hand/wrist pressure when shaving with a DE.  You do have to prepare a bit. etc.
2)  You should REALLY use a quality blade (I got a thing of CVS blades and they SUCK.  They wear out fast, nick more, and don't shave as well).
3)  Use a badger hair brush and some quality shaving CREAM not the foam cream stuff from a can, but either a soap block or tube cream. 
4)  Reading reviews on amazon will teach you a lot.  Like what blades to buy, what creams to use.  I personally like feather blades and col. cronk's almond soap. 
5)  Never doubt the comfort of an alcohol free after shave.
6)  NEVER EVER rush.

I've been doing it for a few months and I don't think I would ever go back to conventional razors.  They cost so much, and I'm actually saving a ton of money buy shaving this way now.  My shave is also nicer, better.  Going against the grain actually will last me like two days if I'm delicate with it, and for my beard that's really something!  The soaps also leave your skin feeling nice and glycerin based things don't sting or irritate.  Good stuff. 

You just have to practice a bit.  There is a bit of technique that you will develop naturally as long as you apply no pressure and watch your angle.

Offline ycartt

• Sly
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2011, 09:36:15 PM »
I shave with a DE on my face at the sink (and use a badger brush) but use a cartridge razor for my head in the shower.  I tend to get more irritation on my head when I shave at the sink so that's why I have to shave my head and face in two different locations.