Author Topic: Skinhead  (Read 77862 times)

Offline harper

• Learning the way of Sly
Skinhead
« on: June 12, 2009, 10:37:13 AM »
I dont know if this is the right subforum but......

I was wondering how you stop yourself from looking like a skinhead when you shave your head or buzz your hair really short.  Im planning on buzzing really short this summer but i dont want to look like a skinhead.

I guess there are not any 'tips' that can be given but im just wondering what people thoughts are.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Skinhead
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 11:35:36 AM »
I think a lot of it is how you carry and present yourself. People are going to think what they want to think and believe what they want to believe. You can't change that.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 12:20:48 PM »
No swaztika tattoos or other supremacist BS  to start!  Avoid para-military garb and white sheets too.  That's about it. 

Sly looks good any other way, casual for the beach or street, dressed for the night out or business.

Pretty simple actually.  ARK also helps, Acts of Random Kindness.

Enjoy the Sly life and join us in setting a good example for the combovers and horseshoes, bozo rings, etc. of the world.

Offline GaryT

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 12:48:19 PM »
I agree that it's all about attitude! Other than that, if someone wants to think I'm a skinhead that's their problem not mine. I have never felt that anyone was ever even thinking about it.

If you're Sly, You're SLY! It's much more than having or not having hair!! I tend to be rather extroverted, so I'm probably going to talk to anyone that I sense has a problem with me!

Attitude, attitude, attitude....Be confident, let it show that you love your bald dome. If you'll do that I think you have nothing to worry about, skinhead wise anyway.
It's all about attitude!

Offline DaSkalp

• Learning the way of Sly
  • I R INTENSE!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 01:56:17 PM »
I think the world is over the whole "Nazi Skinhead" stereotype from the 80s. There are enough clearly non-racist types rocking the look that it's really a non-issue.

When I get home I will dig up some links on the history of the skinhead movement that show the nazi jackasses as an aberration and a departure from the original movement, albeit one that gained a lot of attention. Some of the original skins in England were Jamaicans or in gangs or bands with Jamaicans.

Don't wear polyester bomber jackets, swastikas, iron crosses, the phrase "RaHoWa" anywhere on your person or any other similar paraphernalia and all should be well.

If anyone is in doubt, go hug a Hasidic Jew to be sure!

Offline bem75

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 01:58:45 PM »
About 10 minutes ago, I had the first real odd reaction from someone.  A lady was walking along the corridor of my building.  I was behind her.  When she saw me, i could tell that she got scared.  For the next 10-15 steps, she walked with her head turned and looking at me.  Finally, I said "Sorry, I'm just walking to the stairs."  She seemed relieved, but still a little frightened.

I have no idea if the bald head and goatee was a factor, but I really don't have many people that are afraid of me.  I am bigger than the average guy, but I am by no means scary looking.  People actually tell me that I have a friendly face.

It was actually kinda cool.  It was a fun to scare someone for a change.

As for the skinhead thing, just get a tan and then you'll look fine.  Skinheads are typically not tan.  Also, do what Saintc says.  His advice is as good as it is funny.

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
    • Welcome to our little part on the web
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 04:20:35 PM »
SaintC hit it on the head..just be nice. It's kind of like the idiots that think just because one owns a Confederate flag or a shirt with one on it that automatically means you are a KKK member or hate people of other races . I guess if ignorance was bliss some people would be very happy.
Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

Offline ShavedForNow

• Incomparable Sly Guy
  • Sly Jr.
  • Testing out the sly side of life
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 05:15:23 PM »
About 10 minutes ago, I had the first real odd reaction from someone.  A lady was walking along the corridor of my building.  I was behind her.  When she saw me, i could tell that she got scared.  For the next 10-15 steps, she walked with her head turned and looking at me.  Finally, I said "Sorry, I'm just walking to the stairs."  She seemed relieved, but still a little frightened.

I have no idea if the bald head and goatee was a factor, but I really don't have many people that are afraid of me.  I am bigger than the average guy, but I am by no means scary looking.  People actually tell me that I have a friendly face.

It was actually kinda cool.  It was a fun to scare someone for a change.

As for the skinhead thing, just get a tan and then you'll look fine.  Skinheads are typically not tan.  Also, do what Saintc says.  His advice is as good as it is funny.
Unfortunately the sly look does appear threatening to a lot of people. That's why, if you plan to wear it, you need to project a friendly, peaceful attitude and dress "normally." It's not all that hard to do, and believe me, nobody will mistake you for a racist if you do it.

Offline bubbadave3

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 02:50:49 AM »
I think the world is over the whole "Nazi Skinhead" stereotype from the 80s. There are enough clearly non-racist types rocking the look that it's really a non-issue.

When I get home I will dig up some links on the history of the skinhead movement that show the nazi jackasses as an aberration and a departure from the original movement, albeit one that gained a lot of attention. Some of the original skins in England were Jamaicans or in gangs or bands with Jamaicans.

Don't wear polyester bomber jackets, swastikas, iron crosses, the phrase "RaHoWa" anywhere on your person or any other similar paraphernalia and all should be well.

Living in North Idaho, I can tell you that Aryan Nations is still alive and well.  This became painfully aware to us this past week when that gunman shot the security guard at the Nat'l Holocaust Museum.  The guy had loose ties with Aryan Nations here in North ID.

By the same token, I'm 100% Middle Eastern (who's family has been Christian for centuries), and I have a shaved head.  I don't worry about people mistaking me for a skinhead.  If anything, there's a woman at our church who tells me every week that I "look like a terrorist!"  How thrilling is that--NOT!
Attitude is everything!

Offline dawgfan

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 06:35:31 AM »
It's all about attitude and how you carry yourself.  Some people are going to pre-judge you, that's a fact of life.  If you act like an A55 hole, you'll be treated like one.  I think saint said it best.  Other than that, you've just gotta enjoy being sly.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 11:59:51 AM »
Acts of Random Kindness.

Right on. If I want to be treated with kindness by others I need to show kindness to others.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline timorousme

• Sly Jr.
    • I Make Music With Game Boys and Segas
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 01:09:01 PM »
I live in a mostly black neighborhood and get strange looks from people when walking around. I just make sure that I'm extremely kind to everybody. How you act makes a larger impression than how you look.

Offline Razorman08

• Young and Sly
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 02:51:52 PM »
Just be you! If somebody thinks that about you there cloesed minded and it's there problem like GaryTsaid.

benmcd

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 09:37:13 AM »
This is one of the kicks I get outa being Sly.
I guess some people still have an expectation that a big guy 6'2'' with a completely bald head is going to be a thug  :x!. I find I get it in places where there is perhaps an older person working in an office behind a counter or in a store. Perhaps it is just me, but I can sense the concern they have, and the kick starts when I reveal myself to be a polite, friendly and descent person. I then notice that they are completely relaxed and it turns out to be a positive experience.. This is all changing (for the good) as the shaved head is really a main stream style and any concerns of appearing to be a skinhead are groundless as they are conveyed by as dress, attitude and lack of smarts. Sly does mean that you have only skin on your head, but that is not the problem.

adam_r_todd

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 10:59:09 AM »

I agree that the world is over thinking anybody with a shaved head is a skinhead.  I have NEVER had anybody even suggest it to me.  I'm with the other guys too.  If you are a skinhead, you'll have more paraphenalia than just a shaved head.