Author Topic: Skinhead  (Read 77857 times)

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Skinhead
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 02:11:47 PM »
While a bald man can be intimidating to some people, I have found that a glare or stare that is returned with a big smile has an amazing reaction.  The other person ALWAYS smiles back.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Braco

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 03:42:34 PM »
Just smile :). When I smile at people they always smile back even though they might be scared of me at first. And people who thinks youre a nazi are just stupid, it is not a gen in your hair that makes you turn into a nazi when you shave your head.

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2009, 03:19:06 PM »
though I agree with all the bro's about attitude and R A K its also true that image-wise there's a lot of difference between a short stubbly buzz and a completely SLY dome.  Completely SLY isnt at all 'skin head', but somehow that bit of stubble stands for trouble...

Just shave completelt SLY and smooth and you won't even FEEL like a skinhead ^-^

Offline timorousme

• Sly Jr.
    • I Make Music With Game Boys and Segas
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 03:43:36 PM »
My new response to when people call me a skinhead is "As opposed to what?"

Offline DuffRyder17

• Super Sly
  • Waning days of College Life
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 04:23:37 PM »
My new response to when people call me a skinhead is "As opposed to what?"
haha genius
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, That's why it's called the present!

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 10:19:35 PM »
Since I also live near North Idaho and spend lots of time there I was worried about the whole skinhead thing when I first started shaving. But like others have said most skinheads have a buzzed/stubble and are not smooth Sly. I am also really kind so when people see me they may be startled at first but then see how kind I am and it changes their whole opinion.

MikeInPdx

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2009, 04:45:39 PM »
I didn't have a problem back in the 80's, when I shaved off my botched flattop and shaved off and on. Like everyone else has said, I was just nice to people, and didn't wear the "uniform." I dressed like everyone else.

Nowadays, people are much more used to it. :)

jimhend

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 04:58:12 AM »
Hey I know what you mean!

You know but come to think of it, it is kind of nice when you appear as tough and then act very nicely with people. It kind of adds up of you know what I mean

(|8-)

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2009, 12:29:55 AM »
I am way too goofy for anybody to find me threatening.

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2009, 04:04:41 AM »
Clean cut and bald, either clippershave or razor shave means just wholesome look with facial hair e.g. chin strap, goatee, jawline beard or some very neatly trimmed facial hair and tank top or tee shirt and summer cut-offs or sexy cowboy jeans and sandals or tennis shoes or cowboy boots.  No matter if you are thin and pale, fat or pudgy or gym-fastic handsome, just be yourself with a true smile and good attitude and you will NOT be a skinhead no matter how little or no hair you have !  Your heart, not your hair rules !

Offline frogpie

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2009, 09:09:07 PM »
remember of course that a lot of skinheads arent nazi/racist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_skinhead

i grew up with the whole twotone scene in 80s britain

still like a lot of aspects of the culture

cheers
Gav.

Offline Bolohead

• Bolohead
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • At 56 and still feeling GREAT!
    • Jon Erdmann - Photographer
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2009, 12:01:01 AM »
I dont know if this is the right subforum but......

I was wondering how you stop yourself from looking like a skinhead when you shave your head or buzz your hair really short.  Im planning on buzzing really short this summer but i dont want to look like a skinhead.

I guess there are not any 'tips' that can be given but im just wondering what people thoughts are.

Well for starters, put the combat boots away, and just find some new clothing that makes you look cool.  I wear alot of Hawaiian Aloha shirts, Hawaiian T-Shirt,  polo shirts and archery or bowhunting related T-Shirts.

And keep a big ol smile on my face, cuz it makes everyone wonder what I'm up to  :*))

shaved

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2009, 07:25:32 PM »
I dont think a shaved head makes a person a real skinhead, Yes if you have nazi style tats, or racial t shirts etc.
When i first shaved my head ,when travelling on a train i did get some funny looks from some ethnic people etc, But i would just smile back or say g`day and they seemed to relax. But this is because they have met real skinheads who have given them problems. And a real skinhead would not smile or talk to those they hate
But the best one was an asian girl sat opposite me on a train and she kept looking over and looked very nervous, so when she looked i smiled and said hello, She then said to me are you a skinhead and hate asians because only skinheads shave their head,
I said no i shave my head because i like to and i take everyone as i find them, and most men with shaved heads do so because they going bald etc and most are very normal nice folks.
As i said to her you cant judge people by their outward appearance, but yes skinhead attitudes make it hard on those who shave the head for personal reasons
But you won`t please everyone as many judge on what they see ,not what is really there, But they the ones missing out.

Offline Dome of Steele

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2009, 05:57:59 PM »
Everyone's already said it.  But nowadays sly is more popular and accepted.  Just don't wear anything that looks too militant.  I've had to refrain from wearing an otherwise innocuous shirt, it's a military surplus German eagle tank top that I picked up in Austria a few years back, just to be careful. 
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090813/sampff0212de70bbab6a.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Danny

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2009, 09:12:34 PM »
I heard a girl tell her friend I was a skinhead once. They both worked at Belks and I heard them as I walked by. They were really young so I didn't go off on them.

I've been told I'm intimidating looking but people said the same thing when I had long hair.  ;D

I saw a documentary last year on MSNBC I think about how the Arayan nation (or however you spell it) is going after people who look "normal" now so they can blend in better.