Author Topic: "I won't look good with a shaved head." - for the guys on the fence!  (Read 130978 times)

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
Re: "I won't look good with a shaved head." - for the guys on the fence!
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2009, 12:15:05 AM »
Brave words. Did you know that permanent, yes permanent, ED is a possibility? And man boobs? And depression?

Offline MikeM

• Sly
  • With two ears and 50 pounds of kid.
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2009, 06:48:38 AM »
Do you want three eyed children?

Isn't propecia the one that if a pregnant woman comes in contact with the drug at the wrong stage of pregnancy the genitalia of the fetus don't develop correctly?

Do you want to father a son with a messed-up peen with the knowledge that medicine you're taking is the cause?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 06:50:24 AM by MikeM »

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2009, 11:09:55 AM »
hi there,

I actually like to keep my hair and probably deciding to shave it all off will never happen if i have something to say about it.

Then why are you asking the opinions of a bunch of guys you don't even know and didnt listen to before???  Is its some kind of bizarre sexual fantasy??? :/O

Offline dave523

• Still not really used to being a bald dude and nose looks huge since baldness :-(
  • Sly Jr.
  • Result 26 march 2009
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2009, 05:49:25 PM »
hi there,

I actually like to keep my hair and probably deciding to shave it all off will never happen if i have something to say about it.

Then why are you asking the opinions of a bunch of guys you don't even know and didnt listen to before???  Is its some kind of bizarre sexual fantasy??? :/O

Huh WHAT!?!?! WTF is this kind of reaction, luny  :D? I just prefer to have a full head of hair to not having the choice.......

The way i did not take the advise months ago, is that i chickened out. i have a choice to do that also.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2009, 05:35:48 PM »
This site is called Sly "Bald" Guys, key word in there being bald!!

Why do you think we would encourage you to do otherwise??

Enough of your should I or shouldn't I crap, enough with the drugs as well!     >:(

Take control, make a decision to do it or not. From your avatar pic it looks like you've got plenty of hair, so quit playing games.

Stand up, be a man and give the shave a try if you're so curious. Why would you even think of risking drugs when you know the side effects resulting from them?     :/O

Either way, quit you're whining and make a choice!

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2009, 08:20:10 AM »
hi there,

Huh WHAT!?!?! WTF is this kind of reaction, luny  :D? I just prefer to have a full head of hair to not having the choice.......

The way i did not take the advise months ago, is that i chickened out. i have a choice to do that also.

I just don't see why you would want a bunch of bald guys to get together and vote over whether you should shave or not. 

I know guys who WOULD find that kind of thing a turn on...

Just do it and get it done or grow it.  End of story.

And if you HAVE done it now, post a pic to prove it and we can all move on!! >:(

Offline Rev Sly

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2009, 04:53:02 AM »
Preach on my brothers. Not a whole lot more to say than, Amen.

Offline dgleadbetter

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #97 on: June 12, 2009, 11:00:46 AM »
I echo the thought. I've also been told shaving my head makes me look 15 years younger.

Offline MadMatty

• Sly Guy in Training
  • against the grain, thats insane!
« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2009, 09:33:46 PM »
fantastic post, btw does anyone think head shaving will affect job interviews? I couldn't find that topic anywhere, so here seems like the best place to ask.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2009, 09:52:05 PM »
fantastic post, btw does anyone think head shaving will affect job interviews? I couldn't find that topic anywhere, so here seems like the best place to ask.

Whenever you interview for a job, you're subjecting yourself to the prejudices of the interviewer and if they don't like how you look, it can be a difficult obstacle to overcome.  There's no telling what someone's likes or dislikes are going to be, although there are some basic grooming and hygiene standards that must be followed.

So, yes, a shaved head can be detrimental if the interviewer doesn't like shaved heads.  So can a combover, a buzzcut or any other kind of hairstyle.  So can facial hair, being too tall, too short, too thin, too fat, etc., etc.

Shaved heads are mainstream enough today that it shouldn't be a major problem for most professions.  In the end, you'll be more confident and perform better in the interview if you're comfortable with your appearance.  And who really wants to work for someone who hates shaved heads anyway?    ;)

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2009, 04:13:01 AM »

Check out what some of the brothers said in this post, Matty

http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=6116.0
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Undercover

• (Insert clever, thought provoking title here)
  • Sly Jr.
  • This used to look like a floating head...
    • How I buy stuff like headblades...
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2010, 02:44:26 PM »
Wow, this thread is almost 2 years old and still going strong, now why could that be I wonder...

Could it be...

Because it's 100% TRUE?

A few years ago when my sister was getting married, she asked me two things: To be in the wedding party, and to grow some hair for the wedding.

I did both. Which one do you think I regret to this day?

When I looked at the pictures afterwards I was APPALLED at how HORRIBLE I looked with hair! You know, really thin on top, thicker on the sides, it was horrible! And there were a LOT of attractive, single women at the reception but I thought I looked like a total chump so my confidence was not at its usual stellar spot, & women kept LOOKING AT MY DAMN HEAD!

I don't bear any resentment towards my sis, I mean after all it WAS her wedding, but when I show people those pictures and they look at me now, which look do you think they like better, hmm?

I think I might be the first man in history that wants to go back and Photoshop hair OUT of pictures!

I've been told by some bald-loving women the exact thing that socctty said, that men who shave their heads just seem to automatically exude an air of confidence that the gelling, moussing, constantly primping dare I say it- DOUCHEBAGS just simply don't have. I'm sure Professor Melon will agree, having a Histrionic Personality Disorder does not make one confident, it just makes you a jerk.

But I digress.

I've also been told by a number of women that when they're in the presence of a man that shaves his head, they just feel... SAFE.
One girl explained it like this: "It's like you have this big, bald teddy bear around that's lots of fun to be with, but under all that cuddliness there's strength. There's this tough-guy edge to it that isn't just sexy, its comforting & reassuring, like you have your own guardian angel and nobody can hurt you..."

Are we talking ego boost or WHAT?  O:O

Yep, this is a thread that ain't going anywhere any time soon.
Mother nature only created so many perfect heads, the rest she covered in hair...

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #102 on: January 15, 2010, 07:54:03 PM »

A few years ago when my sister was getting married, she asked me two things: To be in the wedding party, and to grow some hair for the wedding.

I did both. Which one do you think I regret to this day?

When I looked at the pictures afterwards I was APPALLED at how HORRIBLE I looked with hair! You know, really thin on top, thicker on the sides, it was horrible! And there were a LOT of attractive, single women at the reception but I thought I looked like a total chump so my confidence was not at its usual stellar spot, & women kept LOOKING AT MY DAMN HEAD!

About four years ago I attended a wedding of some family friends, most of whom I hadn't seen since I started shaving. I was only a guest and nobody asked me to grow my hair back, but I felt self-conscious and let it grow out for 5 or 6 days.   I was beyond being able to grow back much on top at that point.  When I got to the wedding, I got at least a half-dozen "you're getting thin on top" type comments from the 50 and 60-something crowd, which probably wouldn't have happened if I'd shown up with a fully shaved dome.   To make matters worse, there were a couple of other guys with shaved heads, and I felt like a total dork for not being one of them.

Since that time, I've never appeared in public with stubble on my dome.  I've occasionally skipped a shave on a Saturday and I've gone almost a week a few times when I've been really sick and unable to get out of bed, but I just won't leave the house until the dome is smooth.

Offline surfboardnyc

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2010, 08:42:54 AM »
Thanks for that razor x ... I am attending an old friend's wedding in May where I will run into a lot of guys who haven't seen me since college.  I was tempted growing it back a little but your post convinced me not to.  I never thought about the fact that there will most likely be other guys with shaved heads which would make me look like a complete dork.  Also, it comes down to the fact that there is nothing worse than not being yourself...

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2010, 09:44:23 AM »
When my oldest daughter was getting married a little over a year ago, she asked for "hair."  I was working a Hurricane Ike client in Houston, so for 6 days I didn't shave.  When I came home for the weekend, the wedding was about a month away, it really looked bad, if showed the two little "islands" in front and the strip between the ears, but it also showed clearly after 6 days that the top was thin, and that the islands weren't even equal in size, grief.  I asked her if it was what she wanted, and told her I wasn't happy with it at all.  She said, "Shave it."  In a few minutes I was smooth again.  Wife, hysterical, but everyone else was okay with it.  Then two of my son-in-law's groomsment were sly, and the husband of one of my daughter's friends, whose marriage my daughter had been in, had gone sly too.  There were about six sly's total at the reception.  No more than one day has ever passed since w/o a smooth clean shave for the day.
From what you guys are saying, I really stepped over a snake.