Author Topic: Any funny looks for sly guys?!  (Read 6071 times)

Offline IrishSly

• Learning the way of Sly
Any funny looks for sly guys?!
« on: June 03, 2009, 04:09:29 PM »
Howdy folks, my first topic being posted, big moment for me  ;)

I read a post on here earlier from a guy who said that one thing he has noticed since going sly are the increased number of looks from people in the street! Is this something anyone else has noticed? And do these looks seem positive? I dont exactly crave additional attention but will still be going sly. As you can see from my pic, Im badly receded at the front so the time is nigh!!

As an aside, anyone think my head the right shape to go sly  :-\?!

Peace!  8)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 04:11:01 PM by IrishSly »

Offline Jer

• People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
  • Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Any funny looks for sly guys?!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 04:24:37 PM »
I haven't had any negative looks really, but what I do occasionally get are looks of unease from people when I'm out.  Those however, are from people who are closed minded and place everyone into stereotypes.  Who really cares what they think?

On whether or not you have the 'right shaped' head to go sly, well, in reality, there is NO bad shape.  The key thing is to just be comfortable.  As long as you're comfortable and enjoy the SLY look, any shape will fit!

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 05:17:51 PM »
I think most guys think that people are staring at them when they first go sly because it's such a huge change to them.  Strangers have no idea that newly sly guys just shaved, so I believe it's just sly paranoia.  It definitely looks like your hair has receded in a big way, so when you shave, the receding disappears.  Good luck, and get to it.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 03:46:14 AM »
I agree with Stu on the looks thing.

Any head shape is the right shape for SLYness if that's what you want. Get rid of those little wisps of hair my friend..... it will be an improvement.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 09:26:33 AM »
Never had any funny looks.  But I can  tell you, people will remember you and your name like they never did before--you stand out in a very positive way.  I discovered that the first time I picked up shirts at the laundry, same girl had done it a couple of years since Katrina and I always had to tell and spell my name so she could look it up in the computer.  After shaving, I walked in the door, she was headed to the shirt rack, and said here you are Mr. _____!  Same at the drug store the pharmacist grabed my meds without asking how I spelled my name, what my first name was, the address.  Nope, after shaving, she looked at me coming got my meds, and smiled and asked how I had been.  It's great--you become sort of a mini-celebrity and it saves a whole lot of time, too.

Offline GaryT

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 11:04:42 AM »
Jer and Saintc have it to a T!! Those were two fantastic posts! I could not put it any better even if I tried!!
It's all about attitude!

Offline IrishSly

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 11:37:30 AM »
 ;D Its true, all very well put!!

And I can't help but laugh to myself when reading these responses and other posts because you all put up such convincing agruments for going sly that its very difficult to even imagine not doing it!! It definitely seems to have worked for you guys!!

And I agree, it does make people stand out in a good way. Anyone who sees sly lads as intimidating is probably the same person that thinks all Irish are drunks, all French are arrogant and all Italiens are bad drivers....and they are not someone I want as a friend anyway  :)

Offline Jer

• People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
  • Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
Anyone who sees sly lads as intimidating is probably the same person that thinks all Irish are drunks, all French are arrogant ....

:*))  So then I'm an intimidating arrogant drunk!!!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 02:05:53 PM »
;D Its true, all very well put!!

= Italiens are bad drivers.

Being partly Italian by heritage, I'm not a bad driver, and just think it through a bit--who makes Ferraris, Masseratis, Alfa Romeros, and who just bought Chrysler????  Not to mention the Renaissance and we won't even discuss lasagne, tira misu, or capaccino!   :/O :/O :/O
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline IrishSly

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »
Exactly, I can't stand people who try to pigeon-hole people and live by stereotypes based on how they look and where they are from! As an Irishman I sometimes get the impression people think I'm ALWAYS drunk! Which obviously isn't true  :)

So I am very glad to hear that when I do go sly people won't think I am more intimidating than if I had hair!!

By the way saintc, I wasn't saying Italien's are bad drivers, exactly the opposite!! Although my friend Alessio from Rome did run over my foot on his bike before....but I know that was on purpose  ;D
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 02:30:29 PM by IrishSly »

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 02:30:10 PM »
So I am very glad to hear that when I do go sly people won't think I am more intimidating than if I had hair!!

Why not tonight, a few pints of the good stuff, maybe a dram of the really good stuff--and then slick and smooth as can be.  Not intimidating--just more memorable.  It's a great night to go sly!  Do it.

Offline IrishSly

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 02:32:46 PM »
Saintc I have never been more tempted too!! Just worried that because the weather has been so good in Ireland lately I got quite tanned on my face! My scalp wont be the same though! So was going to wait a couple of weeks until st before I go to Barcelona so when I get back I will have a good tan allover!!

Did you shave your head yourself first or did you go to the barber to get it done first time?

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 02:58:01 PM »
Saintc I have never been more tempted too!! Just worried that because the weather has been so good in Ireland lately I got quite tanned on my face! My scalp wont be the same though! So was going to wait a couple of weeks until st before I go to Barcelona so when I get back I will have a good tan allover!!

Did you shave your head yourself first or did you go to the barber to get it done first time?

I had it buzzed to a #4  by the barber, then took it down to #1 and no guard myself.  That day, a Friday, I buzzed w/o a guard, went to the gym--effectively sly to everyone who looked at me--no comments, just a thumbs up from a sly guy--then got home showered, lathered, no Headslick yet, and w/ ordinary shaving gel took a fresh fusion blade to the scalp.  It felt SO GOOD, that's a constant, SO LIBERATING, another constant, I was sort of high on this when I finished.  First time wasn't fast, but it was SO EXCITING, a feeling unlike anything I'd had in years.  I dried off, put some moisturizer on that we had in the bathroom and went outside.  It was October in New Orleans, not hot, not cold--and it just felt so F'ing good, a numbness that I treasure the memory of.

Yeh, do it tonight--don't worry about the skin color--that evens out in days.  Don't have a barber handy, I got a clipper at Wal-Mart, a US discount store you may have heard of for $10--It's not going to be used a whole lot is it--cheapest of the lot.
Man, you are going to feel so great, so free--DO IT FOR YOURSELF, you'll just wonder why you waited so long.  ENJOY, and lift a pint for this Bald Brother and all the others here when you're done.

Offline ShavedForNow

• Incomparable Sly Guy
  • Sly Jr.
  • Testing out the sly side of life
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 02:58:39 PM »
Quite a few guys in my area have gone sly, so people on the street don't think anything of it. Even here, though, it's true that people will have an easier time remembering you if they know you as "the sly one."

Offline IrishSly

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 03:44:16 PM »
Wow saintc that sounds like one hell of an experience, very well put!!! Sounds like you adjusted to the change very quickly!! I think if I have even half the experience you have had I will be very happy!! I guess a feeling so liberating will do that! And at the moment because my hairline is receding I am very conscious of it at all times so to not have to worry about that at all and to ave everything out in the open will be brilliant! There are a few sly guys in my gym, I bet they are all members/lurkers on this site! Seems the sly guy army is gradually taking over the world!!

Would love to hear other peoples experiences about the first time they went sly....any similar to saintc's?!