Author Topic: Any funny looks for sly guys?!  (Read 6072 times)

Offline dawgfan

• Sly
Re: Any funny looks for sly guys?!
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 08:53:30 PM »
My experience is similar to Saint.  My hair line has been receeding for a number of years.  My hair slowly began to form what I have defined as the "David Letterman Island".  Now, those that remember Dave before he sold out with those hair plugs will remember that he had that patch (island) on the top of his forehead.  I always said once I had the Letterman Island I would shave it off.  Well, four years later it was still there.  I remember the moment I decided to go sly.  It was Easter this year.  The family was all together and my cousin's first words to me were, "dude, the island's parted...you have a river that has parted your islant"!  That was it for me.  The next weekend I went for a haircut & had it cut down with a #1 guard.  Over the next several weeks I cut my hair myself gradually getting closer.  Eventually I had no guard and the blades adjusted as close as possible.  I gave my scalp a break for a couple days and finally decided to take the plunge.  My first shave was using the headblade and shaved WITH the grain.  I absolutely loved it!  The only thing I wanted to change was that damn stubble!  Two days later I lathered up & shaved it SMOOTHE!  Just like Saint said, as soon as I was finished I questioned why I hadn't done this long ago.  I couldn't imagine myself anything other than sly.  Don't worry about the difference in scalp color.  Just be sure to use some sunscreen & get out in the sun.  Going to the pool or working in the yard a few times & you'll be all leveled out. 

Sorry for the rant, but I thought this might help.  I have to give SBG a lot of credit.  While doing a google search for headblade I came across SBG.  This site has offered so much information to help me form a routine & search for products.  Again, I think once you decide to go sly you will be extremely happy with your decision. 

Keep us posted!

(|8-)

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 02:09:18 AM »
I was living in Singapore (with short hair) before I moved back to the US (sly after a few weeks back).  I would say being sly in the SF Bay Area is only about 40%-50% as memorable/attention-getting as being a tall white guy in Singapore, at least away from the touristy/foreigner areas.  So I sort of got used to standing out in the crowd before getting rid of the rest of my hair.

In Japan (away from Tokyo), I remember people, especially kids, staring at me just for having blue eyes, which is kind of understandable.  In that context, blue eyes are a bit creepy and alien, even I admit. 

Not judging people by how they look is something humans have to learn to do and teach our kids to do because our instinct is to stare at, and even fear, people who are different from us.  Replacing our primitive prejudices with giving people a fair chance is something American culture values (by necessity), and we need to work at it.  President Obama wasn't exaggerating too much to say that his story could only happen in America.

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 09:58:41 AM »
Everything Saintc and the others have said.  It is almost a religious experience right after the first shave.  That initial feeling is gone for now but fresh in my memory.  I still like the feeling of the wind over the smooth scalp while in the car or on my bike.  There is nothing like it.  I hope you experience the feeling very soon.  The odds that you will grow your hair back are slim to none.  The feeling of being free of worry about the receding hairline will be fantastic.  My advise is to do it now.  Our prodding for you to do so will be appreciated.  Best of luck on a new life style.
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 10:31:15 AM »
Wow saintc that sounds like one hell of an experience, very well put!!! Sounds like you adjusted to the change very quickly!! I think if I have even half the experience you have had I will be very happy!! I guess a feeling so liberating will do that! And at the moment because my hairline is receding I am very conscious of it at all times so to not have to worry about that at all and to ave everything out in the open will be brilliant! There are a few sly guys in my gym, I bet they are all members/lurkers on this site! Seems the sly guy army is gradually taking over the world!!

Would love to hear other peoples experiences about the first time they went sly....any similar to saintc's?!

If I'm not mistaken, it's after work on Friday in Ireland.  Are you Sly yet, Irish Sly?? :/O

Offline sellitman

• "Shiny"
  • Sly
  • Love My Henson Ti-22 Safety Razor!!!
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 04:57:20 PM »
Anyone who sees sly lads as intimidating is probably the same person that thinks all Irish are drunks, all French are arrogant ....

:*))  So then I'm an intimidating arrogant drunk!!!

About the French........ :-X
"There is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God’s grey Earth as that prince of foods... the muffin!"- Frank Zappa

Enter your email address: