Author Topic: First Shave  (Read 6841 times)

Offline Waypoint3D

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: First Shave
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 06:42:22 PM »
Stubble is gone 8)

The dome is really smooth now.  Shirt doesn't get stuck on my head and the wife called it slick!  I dumped my 6 year old Norelco and picked up a Panasonic ES8243A.   Night and day difference.  I used a little HeadSlick with the ES8243A and it worked great.  Tried an HB sport on one part of my head for comparison.  The bladed part seemed slightly smoother at first, but after the cold water rinse, dry and HB matte lotion I couldn't tell the difference.  The bladed area did seem a little more sensitive.

Must be the type of hair and skin.  A decade or so ago when I had to meet corporate appearance standards, I had the same experience shaving the face.  The electric and blade gave me close to the same results, but the blade made the skin a little sensitive.

Finally, no hat head ever again!   (**!

Offline DavidTX

• Sly Jr.
  • GSG Tech Guy Keeping It Sly
    • Gallery of Before and After going Sly
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 10:10:53 PM »
Waypoint, the Panasonic Linear does a damn good job, people think I've taken the razor to my head..  I still haven't tried my HeadBlade yet.

Good to see you here and looking good Sly.

Offline mouse404

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 10:27:31 PM »
Waypoint, the Panasonic Linear does a damn good job, people think I've taken the razor to my head..  I still haven't tried my HeadBlade yet.

what cream/oil/gel did u use with the panasonic? i used total shaving solution in front of the sink....great results but the worse irritation ive ever had.

Offline Waypoint3D

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 06:14:54 AM »

what cream/oil/gel did u use with the panasonic? i used total shaving solution in front of the sink....great results but the worse irritation ive ever had.

I used the Panasonic in the shower.  A thin application of the HB shave cream worked fine for me.  The Linear motion of the shaver actually lathered up the cream, no irritation for me.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 06:17:17 AM by Waypoint3D »

Offline DavidTX

• Sly Jr.
  • GSG Tech Guy Keeping It Sly
    • Gallery of Before and After going Sly
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 06:18:36 AM »
Before my HeadSlick arrived I used BaldGuyz Shave Gel, and now I've been using HeadSlick.  Just been Sly a little over a week and still working out what works best for me.  Using a shaving brush to lather up the product helps significantly with both products.

Offline aleutiancowboy

• Sly
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2009, 08:20:06 AM »
Welcome to the Sly world the look is good on you. Glad you found something that is working for you. I like using blades myself but my skin isn't sensitive so works for me. I know that several of the guys here that you electric use the Panassonic so you are on the right track.
THERE ARE NO SMALL BRAINS JUST BIG HEADS

Offline Chaplain Mike

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2009, 03:51:30 PM »
Welcome Waypoint. i use a razor and the sensitiveity decreased over the first 30 days.  A good friend uses an eelctric and swears by it.  Whatever floats your boat, just keep it sly and smooth!

Offline dawgfan

• Sly
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2009, 06:32:06 AM »
Hi Guys,

Have been using the clippers for about two weeks getting it lower & lower.  Finally decided last night to break out the headblade & go to town!  I used the head shed first, then the headslick shave cream followed by the blade.  I shaved WITH the grain in all directions and went over my head several times.  After shaving I used the head clear & called it a night.  Obviously there is some stubble, but to my surprize NO irritation or bumbs.  I want to get rid of the stubble, but I'm a little nervous about shaving AGAINST the grain for the first time.  Does anyone have any sugguestion of a different routine or different products.  My main question would be how long to wait until I shave again going AGAINST the grain this time?

Sorry for the long post (i'm a newbie) and thanks for any advice!

Ryan

Offline DogStar Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly
    • DogStar Training Systems
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2009, 06:55:35 AM »
Shaving with the grain is very ineffective for me.
I really only shave against the grain/
I think it has to do with the softness and coarseness of the hair(?).

Anyway just do it.

I would think the shorter the better.
If I want to be stubble free I do have to shave everyday.

Only on my 11 day of a smooth dome.

Offline sgtski

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2009, 11:23:03 AM »
just shaved with a razor for the first time yesterday, im in the army and i have always enjoyed an electric shave as close as it can get.  yesterday i said wth and went all in and i love it, now its time to tan it.
my experience:
i used the electric as i have in the past and took a shower to clean up. 
i used Neutrogena shave cream, its like a lotion and doesn't rise, and a matrix 3 razor.
I went against the grain and did the back of my head by touch.  rinsed in sink and towel dry.
no bumps or irritation.  although this morning i had stubble.  i was hoping this would not need daily maintenance.
Guess my hair grows pretty fast or is that normal for most people?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 11:29:55 AM by sgtski »

Offline DogStar Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly
    • DogStar Training Systems
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2009, 12:46:28 PM »
rinsed in sink and towel dry.
no bumps or irritation.  although this morning i had stubble.  i was hoping this would not need daily maintenance.

I think stubble is at least a daily thing.
Just like face shaving you will have a 5 o'clock shadow by the end of the day.

How often a man shaves is personal, I am finding daily and I think long term I will shave 5 days a week and any evening a double shave day if I am going out.

Offline skinhead002

• Super Sly
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2009, 01:03:47 PM »
just shaved with a razor for the first time yesterday, im in the army and i have always enjoyed an electric shave as close as it can get.  yesterday i said wth and went all in and i love it, now its time to tan it.
my experience:
i used the electric as i have in the past and took a shower to clean up. 
i used Neutrogena shave cream, its like a lotion and doesn't rise, and a matrix 3 razor.
I went against the grain and did the back of my head by touch.  rinsed in sink and towel dry.

Sgt Ski;  it feels that your stubble grows fast beacuse you shaved slick.  You'll need to shave daily if you want it stubble free and permanently bald.  Glad to see that you traded up to an against the grain shave

Offline Waypoint3D

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2009, 03:10:34 PM »
It's day 3 of going SLY so I tried an experiment this morning.  Shave the left side of my head with the electric and the right side with the HeadBlade against the grain.  Both felt equally slick, no stubble and stayed smooth all morning.  Well... 8 hours later, stubble is back.  Just enough you can feel it when rubbing against the grain.  Both sides the same.  I was thinking the blade side should have lasted longer.

Looks like I'll be on a daily shaving plan.  The smooth dome is addictive ;D

At least I have the option of using either electric or blade and getting the same results.  Though I'm curious to find out how well the electric performs a month or two from now.  I'd think the cutters would have to start dulling.

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
Hey man: lookin good and SLY: great combo with the full beard too. O0

Offline sq

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2009, 09:40:58 AM »
Hi Guys,

Have been using the clippers for about two weeks getting it lower & lower.  Finally decided last night to break out the headblade & go to town!  I used the head shed first, then the headslick shave cream followed by the blade.  I shaved WITH the grain in all directions and went over my head several times.  After shaving I used the head clear & called it a night.  Obviously there is some stubble, but to my surprize NO irritation or bumbs.  I want to get rid of the stubble, but I'm a little nervous about shaving AGAINST the grain for the first time.  Does anyone have any sugguestion of a different routine or different products.  My main question would be how long to wait until I shave again going AGAINST the grain this time?

Sorry for the long post (i'm a newbie) and thanks for any advice!

Ryan

Enter your email address: