Author Topic: A little about myself.  (Read 3596 times)

Offline aatkins

• Learning the way of Sly
A little about myself.
« on: May 17, 2009, 10:44:08 PM »
Hello everyone,

Thought I'd introduce and share a little about myself.  My name is Andrew I'm 24 years old.  I began losing my hair when I was 19/20 years old, but only recently has my hair loss forced me to the point where I need to shave my head.  Going bald is particularly hard for me, because I was always popular in school and with the ladies. 

In the past year or so, where the comments and jokes about my hair loss have started to become more and more frequent, my confidence took a serious nose dive.       It's almost like I'm turning into a different person, I don't talk to girls with the same swagger or zeal that I use to, my friends constantly poke fun of me.  It just sucks to lose your hair so young, especially this day in age, where hair has never been more important.

But, this is the reason why I decided to join this board.  I need to accept my baldness, and perhaps one day learn to embrace it.  I think joining a community like this is the first step in reassuring myself that my hair does not define who I am.  I really look forward to meeting everyone here.  Thanks

Offline aatkins

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: A little about myself.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 11:31:17 PM »
Thanks, I'll check it out.  Seems interesting, just finished reading some reviews on amazon.

Offline DogStar Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly
    • DogStar Training Systems
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 12:00:34 AM »
WELCOME!

This is an incredibly supportive "community".
You will find what you need here to make the leap.

(I am only on my 6th day sly.)

ENJOY and please ask away with questions.
Many very knowledgeable people around here.

Eric

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 04:21:18 AM »
Welcome to the Forum AAtkins!

Looking at your avatar.... you're almost there my friend. You have that hair buzzed pretty tight so why not take it down a little tighter? Then in a week or two be done with it. Yeah.... you'll feel a little awkward with a shaved head for a few days until everyone sees you and gives you their comments. But then you'll be done worrying about your hair loss FOREVER!! GONE!

As for your friends....... get better ones. Nobody needs that kind of negativity and bad energy around them. People should accept you for who you are and if they can't do that, they are not your friends.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 06:13:15 AM »
Welcome to the group Andrew. Alot of good info and people here.

Offline GaryT

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 08:08:47 AM »
Welcome Andrew!! As already said, there's a lot of info on this forum so just search around and get it!!

I agree that you are so close I'll bet that if you shave, many people will not even notice!

And try not to associate "growing up" with the loss of hair. Wheather or not you are balding it just happens in that period around graduation from high school, starting a life of your own etc.
Especially don't worry about  the ladies. Trust me and check out the other posts on here. The ladies love 'em bald!!!!

So lift your eyes up and stick around here for awhile and you'll be fine!!
It's all about attitude!

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 08:26:41 AM »
Andrew, I'm going to try this one more time.  The first one didn't post for some reason?  I think you look fine with the buzz cut. As for as your confidence, be strong, hang in there.  I don't know why people judge others by their appearance.  We should look to the person's heart, not what is on the outside.  Kind of like saying, we can't be friends because you're ugly, have brown eyes, etc.
Rather shortsided on their side.  Welcome to the forum and visit often.  A great bunch of guys here that will more than happy to help you through the rough times.
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline DCdome

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 01:10:57 PM »
Hi Andrew!

Welcome to the Board, buddy.  Glad to have you with us.

The tight buzz looks great, but why not try the SLY look.  It would suit you.

Some of the young dudes on the Board will advise you shortly.  Listen to them

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 02:00:12 PM »
I agree with the Koz man.  Once you get it done, you'll be done with hair loss jokes.  You'll go from the balding dude (who doesn't look bad at all with the tight buzz), to the slick shaved dude.  The young guys seem to experience new-found attention from the ladies when they shave, and those ladies are worth pursuing because you know they are most likely not superficial when it comes to the hair department.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline Bald Kahuna

• Team Sly
  • Sly
  • Paddling outrigger w/Princess Kahuna-Maui coast
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 03:13:19 PM »
Welcome! your're at the right place- I've never experienced such a supportive bunch of guys. You will learn so much about products... where to buy them, what to buy, and how to use them plus ongoing monitoring of results. BUT, I have observed, even more valuable are the good listeners and the advice they can give you in all matters of life - just ask and someone will be there.
Bald Kahuna

Offline OzPete

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 08:42:56 PM »
Welcome Andrew!

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 09:17:51 PM »
Welcome Andrew
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Scott

• Sly Bureau
  • Celebrating 5+ Years of SLYNESS!
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 10:48:47 PM »
Welcome Andrew!  Many on this wonderful forum (me included) were at where you are and know how you're feeling about your hair loss.  The key is to accept it, shave it, then embrace it.  Your friends will either be supportive or not, the choice is up to you on how you deal with them, but in my opinion, the hair-loss jokes need to be stopped because if the guys are making fun of you, just wait, they'll have their day soon.  Hair loss happens to most men and for some it begins in earnest in your 20's.  By shaving it now you're taking control of the situation, not letting it control you.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 11:16:36 PM »
Like BillyL said, this can be a blessing in disguise.  I always did a good job with the ladies but I never expected how GREAT of a job you could do with a shaved head.  You'll get your confidence back and then some. 
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline bem75

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 11:59:14 AM »
Welcome Andrew.  So many of us were/are in the same boat as you.  I experienced similar things to you.  My friends teased me a bit about losing my hair, as I was the first one to lose it.  However, when I shaved my head, they all shut up pretty quickly.  I got comments like "you look younger", "you look like a bad ass", "you look great", etc.  They also said that they were impressed that I had the balls to do it.

I did exactly what you are doing.  I buzzed it shorter and shorter and then I just shaved it off one day.  It was empowering as hell.  My wife's girlfriends compliment me now, when the have never complimented me before.  Women look at me a longer now and I get a much friendlier vibe from them.

Go for it.  Embrace your Slyness and gain back the confidence that you have lost.  People will notice your confidence and the women will come running for you.

Enter your email address: