Author Topic: Academy of Country Music Awards 2009  (Read 5300 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Academy of Country Music Awards 2009
« on: April 05, 2009, 10:50:39 PM »
Anyone else watch them this year?

I'm glad to see that Zac Brown Band won Top New Group

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
Re: Academy of Country Music Awards 2009
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 11:47:31 PM »
Anyone else watch them this year?

I'm glad to see that Zac Brown Band won Top New Group

Hell yeah, SicEmOnAChicken  ;D

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
    • Welcome to our little part on the web
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 03:55:19 AM »
Glad to see Jamey Johnson won song of the year. "In Living Color". I also like a song he has out called "High Cost of Living". To me this guy is real country music unlike so much of the popcorn/bubblegum singers that have come out over the last few years. John Rich nailed it to with "Shutting Detroit Down". A song very appropriate for these times we are in.
Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 07:05:15 AM »
I have fallen away from listening to country music.  Well I wont say that I do not listen to it anymore, I just havent gotten into it like I have in the past.  My taste of music changes all the time it seems. 

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 01:37:51 PM »
It really isn't Country anymore it's Country/Pop.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 01:53:21 PM by Tom Gallagher »

Offline Rev Sly

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 01:44:15 PM »
You are absolutely right Tom - give me some classic George Jones or Willie Nelson.

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 04:57:01 PM »
You are absolutely right Tom - give me some classic George Jones or Willie Nelson.

A fellow Pest Control Operator and you like two of my favorite country singers. You da man!!
Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 08:48:32 PM »
It was a horrible show.  I missed the first  hour -- I DVR'd but haven't gone back to look at it.  I may zip through it just to find Jamey Johnson's performance, though it would probably be easier to just look it up on You Tube.  The only worthwhile performances of the evening were Reba's and Trace Adkins'.  Trace really stole the show.

It was a huge mistake to allow the fans to choose Entertainer of the Year.  Kenny Chesney was right when he said last year that it cheapens the award.  That's how someone like Carrie Underwood gets to walk away with the trophy -- because she has legions of obsessed fans who will vote for her hundreds of times.

I can remember a time when I used to enjoy these award shows.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 08:49:15 PM »

Correction:

Offline Ghost1988

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 08:53:01 PM »
ugh.....ill pass lol. unless cowboy troy wins something lol. thats the only country singer i know because he raps too haha.

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 09:46:51 PM »
It was a horrible show.  I missed the first  hour -- I DVR'd but haven't gone back to look at it.  I may zip through it just to find Jamey Johnson's performance, though it would probably be easier to just look it up on You Tube.  The only worthwhile performances of the evening were Reba's and Trace Adkins'.  Trace really stole the show.

It was a huge mistake to allow the fans to choose Entertainer of the Year.  Kenny Chesney was right when he said last year that it cheapens the award.  That's how someone like Carrie Underwood gets to walk away with the trophy -- because she has legions of obsessed fans who will vote for her hundreds of times.

I can remember a time when I used to enjoy these award shows.

I recorded it, too, so I could watch the one or two performers I cared to see. I'm glad I did. The opening monologue was a weak attempt at trying to be funny and relevant. Doesn't work for the Oscars, either.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 11:29:08 PM »
I agree, much of country is getting to be too much like pop music.  But, that is what is bringing a lot of fans to country.  I still prefer the down and dirty country or outlaw country.  A great new band that sounds a lot like cash is the Railbenders. 
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 01:30:20 PM »
I agree, much of country is getting to be too much like pop music.  But, that is what is bringing a lot of fans to country.  I still prefer the down and dirty country or outlaw country.  A great new band that sounds a lot like cash is the Railbenders. 
Thanks for the tip  O0 I will have to look them up

Offline Tyro

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 02:58:20 PM »

Correction:

Razor/Tom I'll have to disagree with your assessment of current "Country" music.
The Country in today's Country music is more Country than it has been in past decades.
You're labeling it Pop. Not so. Very few of today's country artists have hits in the Billboard Top 40. Artists of the 70's like Kenny Rogers, John Denver, Crystal Gayle, Eddie Rabbit, Olivia Newton John, Glen Cambell, Lynn Anderson, Dottie West, Barabara Mandrell, Alabama, Larry Gaitlin, Conway Twitty, Dolly Parton, Roy Clark, Roger Miller, Lorretta Lynn, Ray Stevens and the Statler Bros. had huge "cross over" chart toping hits. The same could be said for some of 90's Country but to a lesser extent. Billy Ray Cyrus, Alan Jackson, Faith Hill, Shania Twain, Hank Williams Jr. Garth Brooks, etc.

Certainly the country artists that were given awards last night are more country than the ones I mentioned. Carry Underwood is Country and no way is she Pop.

"The strongest principle of growth lies in human choice." -George Eliot

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 03:49:38 PM »
ugh.....ill pass lol. unless cowboy troy wins something lol. thats the only country singer i know because he raps too haha.

Ghost..if you would like country with some "rap" in it you might like a guy named Colt Ford...try it out sometime

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A