Author Topic: Oblong heads  (Read 25153 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Oblong heads
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 11:00:43 PM »
Razor, I still think if a guy shaves his head & wears a hat for one year it's still better than
not shaving your head because of what you believe others will think of you.
Many people refuse to shave because of that.   I think if you have a shaved head for a year or even a few months
then you can maybe learn that it is not such a big deal.   Maybe you need some extra time you know.  So during this transition period the hat can relieve some stress.
If you haven't shaved your head at all then you will never know.  But if you have a shaved head then you can have more rational thoughts.   I guess I'm looking at the lesser evil here.   Maybe the person is nervous about showing his bald head to complete strangers.  That shouldn't mean he is not ready to shave it off.   There can be much good in a shaved head, even if you wear a hat. 

Wearing a hat completely defeats the purpose of shaving your head.  And wearing a hat in public for a year will only make things harder, not easier.  And the vast majority of people who are contemplating shaving their heads aren't worried about what complete strangers think -- they're worried about the people they deal with on a day-to-day basis think.  If you're that concerned with the opinions of people you're passing by on the street, then you aren't ready to shave.

If anybody here after shaving for the first time found it more difficult to walk down the street among strangers than it was facing family, friends and co-workers, please speak up and I'll gladly stand corrected.

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 06:57:25 PM »
Ok ok fine Razor.  :)   But it is still better to shave your head and wear a hat than to sit there for hours everyday trying to cover up your bald spots and wonder what you would look like with a shaved head.   
That's crazy!  It's not healthy and one shouldn't have to go through such times.   One should move on from thinking of hairloss everyday, and that can only happen if you shave your head.   Who cares if you wear a hat.  It's still better than keeping your hair, which you know will be gone soon anyway.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 08:21:50 PM »
Ok ok fine Razor.  :)   But it is still better to shave your head and wear a hat than to sit there for hours everyday trying to cover up your bald spots and wonder what you would look like with a shaved head.   
That's crazy!  It's not healthy and one shouldn't have to go through such times.   One should move on from thinking of hairloss everyday, and that can only happen if you shave your head.   Who cares if you wear a hat.  It's still better than keeping your hair, which you know will be gone soon anyway.

They both amount to the same thing -- covering up a bald head.  It's immaterial whether hair or a hat is used to do the covering.  In both cases, the person needs to accept what's happening and take control of the situation.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 11:21:33 AM »

They both amount to the same thing -- covering up a bald head.  It's immaterial whether hair or a hat is used to do the covering.  In both cases, the person needs to accept what's happening and take control of the situation.

So true, Raz. No hats, no combovers, or any other false cover-ups for that matter.
Get it shaved, stand tall and feel the confidence!  Get a "sac", already!    O0

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2009, 11:48:39 AM »
I just don't see the point in shaving and then putting on a hat.  I don't even like wearing a hat when the weather turns cold. 8)  The whole point of being sly, surely, is to show off the dome and give yourself confidence.  If it's hidden under a hat you may as well wear a wig :o

On the other hand, you just gotta do what you're comfortable with, I guess ???

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 07:11:46 PM »
oh now I get it lol.   I guess the way Rob & xnewyawka made their points really made me realize lol.
Right, wearing a hat is equivalent to wearing a wig.  So yeah you might as well wear a wig. lol   
Sorry for my ignorance Razor.   B@n%

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009, 07:59:31 PM »
oh now I get it lol.   I guess the way Rob & xnewyawka made their points really made me realize lol.
Right, wearing a hat is equivalent to wearing a wig.  So yeah you might as well wear a wig. lol   
Sorry for my ignorance Razor.   B@n%

No problem.   ;D

Offline DuffRyder17

• Super Sly
  • Waning days of College Life
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2009, 08:12:52 PM »
just thought I could shed some light here... ok more like throw in my 2 cents...
I got a boat load of respect for ya SBG Math guy...
but as someone who is losing his hair I have to tell you that wearing hat is equivalent to a crutch. and it is a damn hard crutch to let go of.
I have done more than my fair share of hiding behind/under a hat. I love hats, always have, love them to death. but I hate how I've used them for the past 3 years.
IF YOU'RE GOING TO BE A SBG, YOU CAN'T HIDE YOUR BALD HEAD. YOU GOT TO DISPLAY IT< SO EVERYONE CAN SEE IT AND SAY DAMN THAT DUDE IS BALD AND HE LOOKS COOL AS sh*t>
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, That's why it's called the present!

Offline Sean25

• Super Sly
  • 2010 sly fantasy football champ!
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2009, 08:18:36 PM »
All this hat talk is making me want to talk about it.  I agree with it being a crutch.  Since I started losing my hair I look for people who wear hats a lot and when I catch them take it off for a second, they usually have some thinning or receding going on.  I am that guy but I've played baseball my whole life and even before I started losing my hair i wore hats  ALL the time.  Plus I play baseball so even after shaving my head I'm going to be wearing hats.  I think it may be hard to convince people that its not so much a crutch as just me being me..  Another bump in the road.  Do any of you still wear hats?  Is it going to bother my head if I wear them somewhat often?

Offline Ghost1988

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2009, 08:42:51 PM »
All this hat talk is making me want to talk about it.  I agree with it being a crutch.  Since I started losing my hair I look for people who wear hats a lot and when I catch them take it off for a second, they usually have some thinning or receding going on.  I am that guy but I've played baseball my whole life and even before I started losing my hair i wore hats  ALL the time.  Plus I play baseball so even after shaving my head I'm going to be wearing hats.  I think it may be hard to convince people that its not so much a crutch as just me being me..  Another bump in the road.  Do any of you still wear hats?  Is it going to bother my head if I wear them somewhat often?

it wont bother your head but itll bother your confidence. i feel guilty as hell whenever i wear a hat now and im always nervous cuz if i take it off its obvious im balding, so i dont want to like meet a girl one day with a hat on then take it off the next time i see her cuz itll be a shock to people of how i look. ide rather show my receding hairline off so people can see the real me and get used to it instead of covering it up so they have no idea anythings wrong.

it kinda sucks though cuz i used to ALWAYS wear a hat when i had hair cuz i dressed "ghetto" or w/e you wanna call it for awhile so i pretty much had a matching hat with every outfit i wore lol. now i cant do that cuz i feel uncomfortable.

the only time i ever wear a hat now is when i was too lazy too shave and my hair started to grow back. it looks like s*** so ill throw a hat on. its a rarity though.

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2009, 08:48:53 PM »
just thought I could shed some light here... ok more like throw in my 2 cents...
I got a boat load of respect for ya SBG Math guy...
but as someone who is losing his hair I have to tell you that wearing hat is equivalent to a crutch. and it is a damn hard crutch to let go of.
I have done more than my fair share of hiding behind/under a hat. I love hats, always have, love them to death. but I hate how I've used them for the past 3 years.
IF YOU'RE GOING TO BE A SBG, YOU CAN'T HIDE YOUR BALD HEAD. YOU GOT TO DISPLAY IT< SO EVERYONE CAN SEE IT AND SAY DAMN THAT DUDE IS BALD AND HE LOOKS COOL AS sh*t>

Thanks for the respect bro, likewise I have lots of respect for you.   Very good points. O0   

Offline time2shine

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2009, 10:30:24 AM »
I'm in the same boat as Sean, I always wore a hat growing up (pre-MPB), and I still will wear a hat (not as often), because it's something I'm used to.  On the same hand, I also completely agree with the point that a hat could be used as a crutch, as you are almost deceiving a person the first time you meet them.  But honestly, I don't think it's something to get worked up about.
Everybody I know, knows I'm bald, and I choose to be bald.  Fellow sly guys may disagree with me, but wearing a hat once and awhile isn't going to harm my relationships.  I'm just not an extremist when it comes to the hat subject.

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2009, 06:03:34 PM »
everyone wears a hat once in a while, even me :o  Its only when we start hiding behind it like a wig that it becomes a problem O0

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2009, 06:58:07 PM »
everyone wears a hat once in a while, even me :o  Its only when we start hiding behind it like a wig that it becomes a problem O0

Exactly. 

Offline MLNHD

• Super Sly
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2009, 03:42:25 PM »
Welcome, Reykjevik ~ 

Most, if not all of us on this forum have spent prodigious amounts of time with the hand mirror twisting this way and that in front of the big mirror, trying to ascertain what shape our noggin is, and what will it look like razored down to the nubbin.  We naturally agonize over whether this feature or that will be highlighted, just how noticeable this palpable bump will be, and what the heck the overall look will turn out to be. 

You've no doubt noticed that every face on this forum looks different.  And, you've also probably seen that no two bald heads are the same.  Guess what!  That's because we are different!  A longish face doesn't preclude a slick head.  I think what you'll notice when you shave is that without hair, your forehead sort of goes away, and what people's eyes will be drawn to are your eyebrows, eyes, and facial features.  Give it a go.  You're a good lookin' chap and skinning it down is the only way to satisfy your curiosity.  You will have, as each of us has, your own, unique look.  Go for it!   
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 04:24:24 PM by MLNHD »
Sly addict since July 22, 2007.