Author Topic: Oblong heads  (Read 25151 times)

Offline Reykjavik

• Sly Guy in Training
Oblong heads
« on: January 31, 2009, 06:00:00 PM »
I know head shape, bumps, etc. are common talk here and you guys are probably sick of it...but I am worried about shaving my head due to how tall it is. I have a huge forehead and I'm afraid shaving it is going to make my head look more like some elongated capsule than a dome. Do you guys have any advice for this sort of situation?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Oblong heads
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 06:29:15 PM »
It would be easier to give advice if you posted a photo.  If you've got a receding hairline, shaving your head can make your forehead seem smaller rather than larger.

Offline Reykjavik

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 06:43:01 PM »
Sorry, forgot about that.

Not sure if you remember, but I had a post here not long ago where I shaved my hair off into a buzz. My hairline has been receding and it's turned into an obsession. I should have shaved it with a razor instead of buzzing it so I'd know what it'd look like, but chickened out. I just feel like my head is too tall to achieve slyness. It's really thin too, tends to look wider from straight ahead.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 05:58:10 PM by Reykjavik »

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 07:05:51 PM »
We are never sick of hearing the same story over and over. 
The only problem I find is if you don't shave your head there just isn't much that people can say to change your mind.   I or anybody else can come up with the best expressions or words of wisdom as to why you should shave your head, but none of that really matters because everything is in your hands.   If you refuse to use a razor on your head then anything that is said really has very minimal use. 
So, now what's left is to do it.   If you only use clippers to make it short, you will most likely not like it.  That's been the experience with many people.   You have to use a razor and make it really smooth to see how a shaved head goes on you. 
I really feel bad for you that you feel a shaved head will not suit you.  It's an unfortunate situation because man shouldn't have such fears.  Life is too short.   I delayed shaving my head by 3 years because of such fears.  I wish I had shaved it off sooner.

Offline Reykjavik

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 07:12:52 PM »
You're absolutely right, Math Guy. There's only one way to find out and that's to do it. I was sooo close to razoring it, but couldn't take myself past the buzz. I just have to face my fears fully and do it, not half way. It would be much easier for me to take the plunge if the shape of my head was more rounded.

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 07:19:28 PM »
and the thing I would say is why don't you shave it and wear a hat whenever possible?  You know if you think you will be nervous showing your shaved head then wear a hat at places where you can (such as going to a store, going out for a walk, etc.).   You can do that until you gain the confidence you need.   
If you shave your head it might take some time to get used to your new looks, and so during that transition time you can wear a hat as much as you can until you are pleased with what you see.
What do you think?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 07:21:40 PM »
You're absolutely right, Math Guy. There's only one way to find out and that's to do it. I was sooo close to razoring it, but couldn't take myself past the buzz. I just have to face my fears fully and do it, not half way. It would be much easier for me to take the plunge if the shape of my head was more rounded.

Your head looks fine.  You know what the buzz looks like, so just shave it.  If you don't like it, you can be back at the buzz cut length in a couple of days.  The worst that can happen is that you won't like how you look for the few days it takes to grow out.  Small price to pay to find out for once and for all.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 07:24:37 PM »
and the thing I would say is why don't you shave it and wear a hat whenever possible?  You know if you think you will be nervous showing your shaved head then wear a hat at places where you can (such as going to a store, going out for a walk, etc.).   You can do that until you gain the confidence you need.   
If you shave your head it might take some time to get used to your new looks, and so during that transition time you can wear a hat as much as you can until you are pleased with what you see.
What do you think?

I think wearing a hat would be counterproductive.  The only way to get over being self-conscious about showing your bald head to the world is to just brazen it out and do it.  It's much easier to do out in public around strangers that you'll never see again.  It's a little harder to do with family and friends, but you have to just push through and do it.  After the first time, it gets easier.  And the anticipation of what might happen is always scarier than what actually does happen.  Most of the time it's a huge non-issue.

Offline clipped

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 09:40:04 PM »
The only way to get over being self-conscious about showing your bald head to the world is to just brazen it out and do it.  It's much easier to do out in public around strangers that you'll never see again.  It's a little harder to do with family and friends, but you have to just push through and do it.  After the first time, it gets easier.  And the anticipation of what might happen is always scarier than what actually does happen.  Most of the time it's a huge non-issue.

RazorX, you got that right. I am still using a clipper, not sure when or if i get to shaving, but it's the same going down to a clipper shave. It's really not a big deal to anyone. We create this fear, because it's such a change. It was intimidating to ask my barber to clipper shave it all off; got used to that; then it was intimidating to buy a clipper and commit to doing it myself. But everytime I do, I look at myself and say, gee, this tight buzz looks better than that spikey sparse stuff.  My wife even complimented me on doing it myself today.     

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 09:57:09 PM »
What do you think?

I think wearing a hat would be counterproductive.  The only way to get over being self-conscious about showing your bald head to the world is to just brazen it out and do it.  It's much easier to do out in public around strangers that you'll never see again.  It's a little harder to do with family and friends, but you have to just push through and do it.  After the first time, it gets easier.  And the anticipation of what might happen is always scarier than what actually does happen.  Most of the time it's a huge non-issue.

One step at a time Razor.   I understand what you are saying but for a guy that has not shaved his head yet, it might be too much pressure.   A guy who hasn't shaved his head yet and is nervous about it probably doesn't want to think of having to show his bald head to everyone he sees.   Once he shaves his head there will be opportunity to grow in confidence.   He needs to understand that he doesn't have to show his bald head to everyone he meets.   Once he realizes that a shaved head is good then he will consider showing his head to everyone around.   

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 10:24:47 PM »

One step at a time Razor.   I understand what you are saying but for a guy that has not shaved his head yet, it might be too much pressure.   A guy who hasn't shaved his head yet and is nervous about it probably doesn't want to think of having to show his bald head to everyone he sees.   Once he shaves his head there will be opportunity to grow in confidence.   He needs to understand that he doesn't have to show his bald head to everyone he meets.   Once he realizes that a shaved head is good then he will consider showing his head to everyone around.   

I'm sorry, but there's no point in shaving your head and hiding it under a  hat.  If  you're going to do that, then you're just not ready to shave yet.   And exposing a bald head to people you don't know isn't really a big deal.  It's a common enough look that nobody is going to take any particular notice of it.   Trust me, I was probably the most nervous person in the world about what people would think about my newly shaved head, and even I didn't care about what strangers thought. 

In fact, showing your bald head among strangers is a great way to boost your confidence for showing it to the people you really do care about.  That's why so many guys do it when they're on vacation -- so they can get used to it before they go home and face friends, family and co-workers.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 10:35:23 PM »

RazorX, you got that right. I am still using a clipper, not sure when or if i get to shaving, but it's the same going down to a clipper shave. It's really not a big deal to anyone. We create this fear, because it's such a change. It was intimidating to ask my barber to clipper shave it all off; got used to that; then it was intimidating to buy a clipper and commit to doing it myself. But everytime I do, I look at myself and say, gee, this tight buzz looks better than that spikey sparse stuff.  My wife even complimented me on doing it myself today.     

And you know,  you'll be surprised at how many people won't even notice the difference between the tight buzz and shaved smooth.  As far as most people are concerned, your head is already shaved.

You're right -- we create all this anxiety and fear in our minds.  I used to have a whole list of reasons why I couldn't shave my head -- they might not approve at work, my family would give me a hard time, I was too pale, might not have the right head shape, etc., etc.  All the usual excuses.  And then suddenly one day I realized that the only thing that was preventing me from doing it was me.  It occurred to me that if I could just find the strength to do it, the rest of the world would have no choice but to deal with it whether they liked it or not.   

This is where the therapeutic aspects of going sly come into play.  It's therapeutic because you're putting yourself first for a change, and doing what you want to do.  It's therapeutic because you're confronting a fear -- and there is no better feeling in the world than confronting and conquering a fear. It's well worth the slight risk that it might not look good.  Even if it looks horrible, it grows back to #1 buzz cut length in about a week and in one more week, the world will have forgotten all about it.

Guys, I know it's a scary thing.  But if you're down to a #1 buzz or shorter, that's less than 1/8" of hair that's standing between you and a fresh start.   Take that leap of faith and you won't be sorry.  If I can do it, anyone can. 

Offline Ghost1988

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 10:41:15 PM »
you kinda mislead me. your head looks FINE i would hardly say your hairlines receding. take a look at my hairline. when i grow it out i look like jason statham lol. and you forehead isnt big AT ALL. i thought you were joking at first when you said that. it looks normal to me? i have a very long face and big forehead so trust me i know big foreheads lol.

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 10:50:07 PM »
Razor, I still think if a guy shaves his head & wears a hat for one year it's still better than
not shaving your head because of what you believe others will think of you.
Many people refuse to shave because of that.   I think if you have a shaved head for a year or even a few months
then you can maybe learn that it is not such a big deal.   Maybe you need some extra time you know.  So during this transition period the hat can relieve some stress.
If you haven't shaved your head at all then you will never know.  But if you have a shaved head then you can have more rational thoughts.   I guess I'm looking at the lesser evil here.   Maybe the person is nervous about showing his bald head to complete strangers.  That shouldn't mean he is not ready to shave it off.   There can be much good in a shaved head, even if you wear a hat. 

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 10:53:11 PM »
you kinda mislead me. your head looks FINE i would hardly say your hairlines receding. take a look at my hairline. when i grow it out i look like jason statham lol. and you forehead isnt big AT ALL. i thought you were joking at first when you said that. it looks normal to me? i have a very long face and big forehead so trust me i know big foreheads lol.

If you think you've got a badly shaped head, remember it can always be worse: