Author Topic: Maybe I should get pierced again...  (Read 28697 times)

Offline IRONHORSE

• The Sly Ogre
  • Super Sly
Re: Maybe I should get pierced again...
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2008, 12:48:37 AM »

I'm 28, though... I'm still young enough to rock, right?

Mick Jagger and the boys are still rocking... and I think THEY all just passed the century mark :P

GASlick

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 01:38:20 AM »
Do whatever you feel you need to do.  Remember though, it's not just you anymore.  You have a son.

Kids add a whole other level.  You are no longer first, they are.  Trust me - I have two!

Any of the three career paths you listed; law enforcement, teacher or business world - probably not a good idea to pierce yourself.  And remember too, the rock and roll lifestyle has a way of aging you pretty quick.  A lot like  a pro athlete.  28 is "old age", with a few exceptions.

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 04:24:33 AM »
Do whatever you feel you need to do.  Remember though, it's not just you anymore.  You have a son.

Kids add a whole other level.  You are no longer first, they are.  Trust me - I have two!

Any of the three career paths you listed; law enforcement, teacher or business world - probably not a good idea to pierce yourself.  And remember too, the rock and roll lifestyle has a way of aging you pretty quick.  A lot like  a pro athlete.  28 is "old age", with a few exceptions.

Agrees with the above.... O0

Musician000

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 02:34:59 PM »

Very true. I agree that I am no longer first, though what kid wouldn't want his dad to be a rock star... haha. Actually, I know direction wouldn't work out because I wouldn't be able to handle being away from him for that long. I left the last serious band I was in right before they headed off on their first major tour... and for the past 7 years or so they've pretty much been touring all around the world playing upwards of 300 shows a year. I wouldn't be looking for that extreme of a rock and roll lifestyle...

So, finding some compromise might be the best route. There are plenty of guys who hold down respectable day jobs while rocking out at night in local groups and such. A discreet tattoo I can cover up might be a good idea... unlike the guys in my old  band with virtually every inch of their body tatted... haha.

I can tell that I might be able to have a confident stage presence with my new sly look, too. That's a big thing that's brought it all up. I miss performing in high energy concerts... getting into the music and feeling the energy of the crowds.

GASlick

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 05:43:42 PM »
I think you may be on the right track with a nice discreet tattoo.

There are lots of "mainstream" guys that rock out on the weekends.  Go for it.

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008, 07:55:57 PM »
Brother you have big responsibilities now with the wife and kid, BUT if your not happy with yourself then they won't be either. If getting a piercing or tat is what is going to make you happy then go do it. Things like piercings and tats don't hurt anyone as long as its not at the expense of your family.

Offline captain blackleg

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2008, 09:47:27 AM »
Piercings are fun and for the most part very temporary if you choose, I say if it'll make you happy, do it.

marty22

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2008, 10:53:59 AM »
sounds like u need to take it one step at a time my friend.....

Offline J.J.

• Sly
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2008, 12:06:34 PM »
I'm 28, though... I'm still young enough to rock, right? I took some years off to play Mr. Mom and attempt to tone down my lifestyle, but that might very well be the lifestyle I belong in.

My hesitation and this "crisis" I mention has to do with that crossroads... about whether to head into the business world, law enforcement or become a teacher... or maybe I need to jump back into the music world and give the rock and roll lifestyle one more shot before I settle...

No matter what you do, follow your heart.  No one but YOU can know what's right or wrong, what's safe or spooky, and what will satisfy YOU in the long run.  You are going to find, my friend, that those crossroads appear many more than just once in your life. 

You are still very young, and you have your whole life ahead to navigate the moments of uncertainty.   Don't ever let a number...like age...get in the way of your dreams.   That number is gonna keep getting bigger, regardless of what you do.   

We all know our own limitations or handicaps; the trick is take them in stride as we shoot for the stars!

marty22

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2008, 01:10:34 PM »
great new pic JJ!

Offline J.J.

• Sly
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2008, 02:29:58 PM »

Offline J.J.

• Sly
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2008, 02:33:51 PM »
Going Sly was the first step...
I still have yet to get my first tattoo, though... something I've wanted dearly since I was in grade school. Tattoos are so permanent that I've been waiting for just the right time... no rush on that one.

I never got my ears pierced because I was always self-conscious about them. I always obsessed over how they stick out from my head and the right one does moreso than the left. I thought getting ears pierced might just draw attention to that... but maybe just a subtle bit of jewelry in the ear might help accessorize this newly Sly skull.

I've been wanting to get my ear(s) pierced for a few years and I'm still on the fence.  Ditto for a tat. 

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2008, 02:43:14 PM »
JJ...just do it!  It doesnt hurt at all.  Promise.  I did mine over 24 years ago.

Offline J.J.

• Sly
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2008, 02:49:44 PM »
JJ...just do it!  It doesnt hurt at all.  Promise.  I did mine over 24 years ago.
Hey Timm, pain is not the worry.  I shoulda done mine 24 years ago, too...

Offline SlyBaldDude

• Sly
    • Standing Out In the Crowd
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2008, 03:28:08 PM »
I've wanted to have pierced ears pierced since I was in my 20's.  Never felt like I could do it cause of church and stuff.  Now that I just turned 40 I find I really don't care much what other people think,  but alas,  it is true that people assume things about you based upon what you look like.  I live in a pretty red-neck area.  Someday maybe .. when I get a motorcycle and leather pants which will be around 45 I think.  I believe it was Mr. Spock who said,  "Having is not as pleasurable as wanting.  It is not logical but it is often true .."