Author Topic: Maybe I should get pierced again...  (Read 28690 times)

Offline The Zook

• One Blade Renegade
  • Super Sly
  • Collector O'Razors
Re: Maybe I should get pierced again...
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2008, 03:46:25 PM »
Sounds like you need to find yourself first.

I went through the whole tattoo/piercing thing (again) when I was about 31 only to realize that it wasn't 'things' that made me who I was, it was actually me that did that. It was a means to an end I guess, and now I don't wear any of my piercings, but do proudly show off one of my 6 tattoos, which happens to be of my kids' names.

I do however miss my labret piercing and if it weren't for my job I'd 'probably' still have it today.

Offline time2shine

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2008, 04:20:53 PM »
Now that I just turned 40 I find I really don't care much what other people think

Wow.. you look much younger than 40, dude.  Wouldnt have guessed.  8)

Offline SlyBaldDude

• Sly
    • Standing Out In the Crowd
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2008, 04:59:45 PM »
I eat a lot of dill pickles.  The vinegar preserves me from the inside out ..

Offline J.J.

• Sly
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2008, 06:04:22 PM »
I eat a lot of dill pickles.  The vinegar preserves me from the inside out ..

Pardon me while I run out for a big jar of pickles...

marty22

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2008, 06:09:40 PM »
OK SlyBaldDude. If eating pickles presrves you, I'll get some and give up my plastic surgeon.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2008, 06:11:53 PM »
Someday maybe .. when I get a motorcycle and leather pants which will be around 45 I think.  I believe it was Mr. Spock who said,  "Having is not as pleasurable as wanting.  It is not logical but it is often true .."

That's when everyone will think you're having a midlife crisis.   ;D

Offline Scott

• Sly Bureau
  • Celebrating 5+ Years of SLYNESS!
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2008, 11:45:41 PM »
Piercings are fun and for the most part very temporary if you choose, I say if it'll make you happy, do it.

Exactly why I got mine pierced - you can always take them out if you choose.

[/quote] I've been wanting to get my ear(s) pierced for a few years and I'm still on the fence.  Ditto for a tat. 
[/quote]

I've wanted to have pierced ears pierced since I was in my 20's.

I know you guys might be apprehensive about what others will say or think, but in this day & age it's really not that big of a deal.  Go for it if you want it.  I was very worried in particular about my parents's and friends's reactions, but they were fine with it.  A lot of people have told me that the earrings complement my slyness.

Offline Drewbull

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2008, 12:49:07 AM »
I'd say go for it bro... it's not like you can't take the piercing out.  One piercing that you can hide is a Septum piercing.  Personally I think they look kinda cool.  You can get a retainer and flip it up inside your nose to hide it when necessary.  I did have one but took it out once and couldn't get it back in.  My wife would freak if I got it done again.   ::)
Untitled:  The Art of Being Unique

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2008, 08:22:53 AM »
I say just go for it.  I have only one ear pierced, but I wouldnt be without it.  It looks really cool with a bald head.  I am definitely thinking of getting my other ear pierced soon so that I can look more balanced.

After going Sly I decided my 14 ga. earrings were just too diminutive for the sly look, so I went to the piercing shop and had them put in 10 ga.  BTW, your ears look perfectly balanced.  I say go for it.

Red

Hey Red: love your 10 ga earrings.  Feeling tempted to get some like that...they look so cool with a shaved head. O0

Offline Penguins Fan

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2008, 07:06:37 PM »
I'm 45, been married for six years, been shaving my head for more than four years and we have a nine month old baby boy.  I did Howie Mandel for Halloween at work - got a hoop in hear ear and I left the earrings in.  My missus isn't wild about guys with earrings but pierced ears look great with a shaved head.

I did make sure it was okay to wear them while at work.   I'm in a professional enviornment and I didn't want to cause any problems.
Let's Go Pens!

Offline Vash

• Be Kind For Everyone You Meet Is Fighting A Hard Battle
  • Super Sly
  • Bald, Bearded, Tattooed, Awesome!
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2008, 08:18:46 PM »
My hair was my source of power, and without it I thought I could just fall into being a "normal" guy. That "normal" guy has been struggling this past decade... trying to live life tame hasn't been too kind to me and it's about time to take some bold steps towards asserting my individuality again.

In my experience, there is no "normal" only people who are more or less outwardly individual. Some people seem to struggle to find the level of outward individuality that best suits them. And for many, that level can change over time, in either direction and back again.

Remember that someone consciously trying to live at a different level of outward individuality than feels natural for them tend to appear uncomfortable in their own skin and that tends to be picked up on by folks around them. Just saying.

So forget about "normal", and maybe go for being "normal for me". And don;t be surprised if your personal "normal for me" changes from time to time. 

I never got my ears pierced because I was always self-conscious about them. I always obsessed over how they stick out from my head and the right one does moreso than the left. I thought getting ears pierced might just draw attention to that... but maybe just a subtle bit of jewelry in the ear might help accessorize this newly Sly skull.

They say that the things we dislike about ourselves we either try to hide or we decorate.  ^-^

I, personally, think just about every guy with a shaved head looks good with earrings, but I may be a little biased, as I clearly lean toward the more decorated kind of self expression. If you wanna go heavier gauge, just remember that you can close fully if you change your mind, generally until you hit 0g (general rule, not a law, each body and ear lobe is different).

But whether it'd be right for you means taking a lot of things into account (i.e.;Job, Significant Other, Lifestyle, etc), but ultimately the only reason you need is simply that you want to have piercings or not.

Most importantly, as with most things in life... trust yourself.

best of luck  O0

~Vash

FB: Vashon Bench
Twitter: @gingerbeardpdx
Instagram: @gingerbeardpdx

Offline Penguins Fan

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2008, 04:33:01 PM »
Well, Musician, did you decide what you want to do?

As for being a rock star....I think your son just wants you to be his Dad...just be there for him.  I work with a fine fellow who is in a band that plays on weekends, which would give you the opportunity to do something you enjoy, but it has to come after being a Dad. 

As for the earrings, if you can get permission for it on the job, then do it.  A bit of a confession....I HATED earrings on guys when I first started noticing it in the early 1980s - it seemed that a bunch of latent teenagers were trying to emulate lousy British bands they saw on MTV videos at the time.  When I see a twenty-something with messy hair and ugly clothes and a fake diamond stud in each ear, I still think it looks stupid.

As previously stated, pierced ears look great with a shaved head, whether you do each ear once or twice.  I battled with my wife (not any real arguments, I just gave in to keep the peace - until this past October.  The first time I really liked the look of a sly guy was almost five years ago when I saw a gentleman at Valentine's dinner with his wife - the shaved head and earring looked great on him and I wanted to do the same ever since. 

Howie made the shaved head-earring look more popular, but he didn't invent it.  I do it because I like how I look with it, not because I want to look like someone on TV (except for last Halloween).  I am fortunate because my employer is okay with it.  So, if you have the itch, scratch it.
Let's Go Pens!

marty22

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2008, 06:10:45 PM »
Pneguins Fan: a pic when u can!

Offline Mr. Wilson

• Sly
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2008, 06:15:29 PM »
here is a pic of me with my ears pierced

Offline Penguins Fan

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2008, 07:29:41 AM »
Penguins Fan: a pic when u can!

A friend took a cell phone photo of me.  When I receive it I'll post it.
Let's Go Pens!