Author Topic: MPB with a Hairpiece-Would like to shave my head.  (Read 26174 times)

Offline JSS5579

• Sly Guy in Training
MPB with a Hairpiece-Would like to shave my head.
« on: June 16, 2008, 04:44:45 PM »
Hi All!
Hope someone can offer some advice and/or encouragement. I have been without hair since I was about 19 or 20 years old. (Male Pattern Baldness). I started wearing a hairpiece when I was 22 years old. I am now 52. I have been reading your forum threads for a while now.  There is hardly anyone that has seen me without it except my immediate family (wife and 4 kids). I am really fed up with wearing a hairpiece. It is expensive and really a pain. At first, in my younger years, it gave me a lot of confidence and I think helped my appearance. But, now, at 52 years old, to me, I don't think there is any advantage to it. Moreover, I have two boys, 25 and 23 who are now losing their hair the same way I did. I think that it makes them uncomfortable with me having hair and they don't. I know that I feel uncomfortable "for them" since I have gone through it in the past and even am uncomfortable myself with hair now, because of their hairloss.
I keep threatening to shave my head (to wife and my two girls) ( my boys live on their own) and my wife and girls don't really want me to go without the hairpiece.
The thing is, we are leaving on vacation on Saturday to go south and I plan on not wearing my hairpiece at all down on vacation. If things go right for the week, I think I would like to go all the way and shave my whole head while I am down there. I should be pretty tan up top by the end of the week.
I am scared to death to come back though and go to work, see friends, neighbors and family members when I get back. Also, should I just shave my whole head the first day or try to go for a few day with the "sidewalls of hair" that I do have?
Thanks for a great forum!
Scott

"Don't tell me how rocky the sea is, just bring the darn ship in"
                                                                     Lou Holtz

marty22

Re: MPB with a Hairpiece-Would like to shave my head.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 04:54:13 PM »
take it off and go to a No 1 for the trip!

Offline BaldBen

• Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 05:03:21 PM »
take it off and go to a No 1 for the trip!

Marty, is that all you have to say? Be a mensch and tell this guy a bit more. If anyone can help this fellow it certainly is you.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
Ben Franklin

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 05:10:35 PM »
I agree. Take it down to a #1 for the vacation trip. It'll give you and the family a chance to get use to it before returning to the grind. You've been struggling with this for many years. Take the plunge and we'll get you through it. Believe me, taking care of a bald head is a whole lot eaiser and less expensive than taking care of your hairpiece.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 05:16:57 PM by fr8train »
Tis better to have a bald head than no head at all.

marty22

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 05:14:31 PM »
Hey BaldBen! I only get a few moments to post at work and I said it very succinctly. Take it low while on vacation and see how it looks and feels and if there are any comments. Ben, I had transplants and a patch of skin cancer. My situation was different.

DEAR JSS: I do share your frustration. Feel free to write me at m45922@aol.com. Ben, I'll deal with u later.  We need a pic of you to help. Only positive comments will be made.

Be nice to me. I had a screwed up day at work. LOL
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 06:18:14 PM by marty22 »

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 05:14:39 PM »
Welcome JSS5579,

Sounds like a good plan. I think you may imagine everyones reaction to be much greater than it actually will be. Initially you will get the "Whoa, what happened" and such but after a week, you will be yesterdays news.

remember to wear sunscreen when getting that dome tan!!!!! A sunburned scalp is painful, dangerous and walking around with snake skin type peeling is not the way you want to introduce your freshly shaved head to the world.

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 05:17:27 PM »
Remember, it's only hair. If for some reason you don't like it -- I'm betting that you will -- it'll grow back before you know it.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 05:26:03 PM »
Welcome to Sly Bald Guys!  I think you'll feel 1000 pounds lifted off of your shoulders when you shave your head.  I also think you'll help each of your son's to do the same.  It's different times now and by doing this, you could really help set your son's free if they are having issues with losing their hair.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 06:42:27 PM »
Vacation is the perfect time to shave the dome for the first time.  It's much easier to expose your bare scalp to the world around people you don't know, don't care about, and will never see again.  By the time your vacation is over with, you should feel more comfortable with it and that will make it a little easier to face the gang at the office.

Going to work with a shaved head for the first time is always scary and a little uncomfortable, but the discomfort is over with in a few minutes.  It's not nearly as bad as the anticipation.  Just take a deep breath and do it!  ;)

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 10:47:32 PM »
scott:  welcome 2 the sly fraternity.  glad that ya found us.  your upcoming vacation will B the ultimate time 2 "retire" the rug & embrace your baldness.  i say shave your dome and just go all the way.  U won't regret it! O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline MagmaBabe

• Sly Bureau
  • thanks guys!! I love ya's to bits <3
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 02:35:38 AM »
some great advice from the guys, especially Razor and Marz.   O0

welcome to the forum Scott  :)
I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances ~  Martha Washington

Offline zetaeffe

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • The Bald by Choice Men group
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 03:56:51 AM »
Go for the shave!
On the topic of reactions when you show at work bald: sure there will be reactions
but not cause of the bald head itself, cause of the sudden change in your appearance.

I've learned from my own experience that people are conservative, they expect you
to look always the same, to match the image they have of you in their mind.
When you shave your head (and get rid of the hairpiece) you no longer match
what they expect you to look, hence the shocked reactions... but as just said
they are reactions to the change, not to the bald head itself.
They need some time to adjust to your new image and they will be ok.

My advice for this problem: tell everybody what you are going to do! This way
they won't be shocked when you will show up bald at work, instead they will be
curious and will look forward to the new you, and some will even encourage you!
This will make things much easier! Just be honest with them... tell them that you
will come back different from your holiday, that you are fed up of the hairpiece
(most of them already know you wear it...) and you are going to get rid of it.
You'll be surprised by the positive reactions!

Good luck and keep us updated!  O0

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 04:27:10 AM »
Welcome top the Forum JS!! There's some good advice from the brothers posted above.

Try shaving it shorter and shorter over a couple of week period until you're down to no guard. Give that a few days or week and then finish it off by shaving. This will sort of "ease" the family and friends into your new look.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline joergHH

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 01:57:53 PM »
Welcome, Scott!

These are very good advices. Vacations are a good time for changing one's look.

Talk to your family and maybe to your friends and coworkers and tell them what you want to do and why.

Back home you will get just a few comments, most will be positive. That's the experience of almost all of us.

Best wishes, nice holidays and jump over the fence and  do the deed. And remember, it's hair, it will fast regrow.

J

Offline joergHH

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 01:59:49 PM »

Be nice to me. I had a screwed up day at work. LOL

Have a nice evening and a better day tomorrow!

J