Author Topic: Needs urgent assistance.Moving File Error.  (Read 1378 times)

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
Needs urgent assistance.Moving File Error.
« on: May 26, 2008, 04:20:38 AM »
Hey All. Any help for computer minded people would be appreciated.

I am attempting to move an .avi file from my C drive onto my external 16gb USB flash drive. I had successfully done 2 .avi files which were about 700mb each. However now each one I have tried to do is unsuccessful and giving me an error message:

Error Copying File or Folder-Cannot copy(Filename).The parameter is incorrect. All 6 of these files that I need to move are in .avi format.

I'm using Windows XP with a Compaq nc6000 notebook.

Offline TheTrucker

• Super Sly
    • Knitting On The Road
Re: Needs urgent assistance.Moving File Error.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 06:34:03 AM »
Hmmm, I'd check the integrity of that flash drive. Could be you removed it without ensuring that it was ready to safely removed which can bork the file system thanks to Windows' absurd way of handling them.

One way to handle it would be to see if you can copy the existing files from the flash drive back to your hard drive (unless you already have backup copies there). Then reformat the flash drive.

Never unplug the flash drive until you have selected to safely remove it as this ensure that all read/writes are truly completed and the drive is unmounted prior to removal.
Mason

Linux: because a pc is a terrible thing to waste.

What do you mean guys don't knit????

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 07:17:14 AM »
Thanks Trucker, I was successfully able to copy the files from the flash drive back onto the harddrive. For some reason on again moving the .avi files onto the flash drive, all 5 transfers were successful.

I'm at a loss.

Offline TheTrucker

• Super Sly
    • Knitting On The Road
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 07:58:14 AM »
Great! It was probably just a Windows initialization glitch with that flash drive. Windows can be pretty goofy at times.
Mason

Linux: because a pc is a terrible thing to waste.

What do you mean guys don't knit????