Author Topic: Save A Blade  (Read 10596 times)

Offline IRONHORSE

• The Sly Ogre
  • Super Sly
Re: Save A Blade
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2008, 09:57:34 AM »
Cool, Tom! I must admit that the prospect of adding a few extra shaves to a razor has me intrigued, and I've been waiting for someone to use it for a bit, and let us know how it works for real people. Thanks for being the guinea pig! O0

Offline THier

• Super Sly
  • Sorry for bad camera phone pic,,
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2008, 03:41:24 PM »
OK,, got to use it this am,,

first things first,, Head Bladers,, it's not for you, unless you have a handle to mount the blade on, use the save a blade, then put the blade back on the HB, If someone figures out a way to do it then please correct me.

Second,, this thing is pretty loud,, at least it seems that way in a quite house at 4 am, it didn't wake anyone up,, so maybe it is my imagination.

Third, and most importantly,, does it work? It sure seems to, it says to use it to keep blades sharp,, rather then to sharpen them,, but there was a noticeable difference on my Fusion that I use for my face. Will I buy one when this one dies,, as long it it lasts a year or more then YES. If it turns out to be a piece of junk, then we shall see. I will update as I live with it for a while. My Fusion blades usually get tossed after a week or so.

Last,,, would I recommend you to buy one? If the only thing you use is a HB then probably not, it might not be worth taking the blade off the HB, mounting it to a handle, using the Save a Blade, then putting it back on the HB. If you use a "regular" razor,, then YES.

Tom

EDIT   Just went to play with it again,,, You CAN just remove the blade from the HB drop it into the Save a   Blade and use it,,, so,, it is not nearly the  P I T A  I thought it was,, I WILL be using it for my HB as well as the Fusion.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 03:56:53 PM by THier »

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2008, 04:25:14 AM »
Thanks for the review Tom. Where did you pick up this beast?
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline THier

• Super Sly
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2008, 02:41:32 PM »
We went to CVS for flu shots, and was cruising the store and saw it,, so I grabbed it.

Tom

Offline PeripheralxMvmnt

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • A vida não é ruim.
    • Program Hound
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2008, 09:50:52 AM »
I had picked one up too, and you definitely will not get anywhere near 200 shaves out of one cartridge, but it does help to prolong the blade. I shave about every other day (used to be head and face, but now its just head and shaping my beard), and one cartridge will last me about a 1.5-2 weeks. One question i had with it was what about the other side of the blade and the burr that would collect there, but it doesnt seem to really be an issue.

And sorry ladies, but unless you use a Mach 3 or something to that nature, the Venus does not fit in the Save-a-blade.

Immediate results, you get a few more shaves out of the blade. Long term, it adds up fast in money saved from not having to buy blades as often.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080816/sampace1aad00c2d75ff.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Head Bald Guy

• Super Sly
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2008, 11:41:01 AM »
Here is what I found out from talking to someone in the blade business. The Save A Blade basically "strops" the blade, which is what a barber used to do with his razor before shaving you. (For us oldies who remember back then). There are two big issues here, first is that the stropping takes off the coating from the blades leaving a bare metal surface, even though it removes the burs which is what dulls the blade. The second is that it only removes this from one side of the blade, meaning there are burs on the back side.

While this sounds great, it could really be problematic for the users. Remember if it sounds to goo to be true, it probably isn't

HBG

Offline THier

• Super Sly
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2008, 01:01:11 PM »
Here is what I found out from talking to someone in the blade business. The Save A Blade basically "strops" the blade, which is what a barber used to do with his razor before shaving you. (For us oldies who remember back then). There are two big issues here, first is that the stropping takes off the coating from the blades leaving a bare metal surface, even though it removes the burs which is what dulls the blade. The second is that it only removes this from one side of the blade, meaning there are burs on the back side.

While this sounds great, it could really be problematic for the users. Remember if it sounds to goo to be true, it probably isn't

HBG

That is what I was thinking,, but so far it seems to be working pretty good, it is not designed to sharp blades,, but to maintain them, I use mine every other day.

Tom

Offline THier

• Super Sly
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2008, 10:10:48 AM »
Ok had it for a couple of weeks, here is my observation, It works, I changed both the HB and Fusion to new blades, and I couldn't notice ANY real difference in the new vs the old blades, I will do a change after three weeks and see what if any difference. So even at this point, it cuts down blade replacement at least in half.

Tom

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2008, 12:05:32 PM »
I must say I'm surprised that you can't tell a difference between new blades and the old ones after 2 weeks use....that is interesting.....thanks for the update Tom.... O0

Offline Mr. Wilson

• Sly
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2008, 03:36:23 AM »
What do you guys think of cryogenic blades?

Offline THier

• Super Sly
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2008, 05:23:49 PM »
It's been a month,, might be able to go longer,, but I  changed them. There is a difference,, so lets say you can easily get 30plus shaves from a blade.

Merry Christmas everyone.
Tom

Offline bubbadave3

• Sly
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2008, 06:25:01 PM »
If it was in a store, I'd buy it. I'm not buying anything off of television infomercials again after Time Life tried to send a bunch of country cds that I didn't order.

Walgreens sells these products.
Attitude is everything!

Offline TANK25

• A PHILLY GUY
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2009, 05:29:30 PM »
So far so good with me,I picked mine up about two weeks ago.If you don`t like buying things online or over the phone.You can buy them at Walgreens. O0
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 05:13:52 PM by TANK25 »
Don`t sweat the small stuff.<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-users1.imagechef.com/ic/stored/2/090107/sampc1253c6e4ba15e87.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Cam

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • The honey tastes sweeter when you anger the bees.
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2009, 08:15:11 PM »
That's pretty good to know. I'm going to pick one of those up sometime soon. Thanks.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2009, 01:20:05 PM »
So, are you guys saying that this actually works?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.