Author Topic: Robmeister's Fitness Goal  (Read 59588 times)

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
Re: Robmeister's Fitness Goal
« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2008, 01:47:07 PM »
Ok...I'm gonna cut back my official accountability report to once every two weeks to my bros....

But I must again voice my astonishment at this slow-carb, one-day-off eating program (website provided earlier in this thread). 

Just weighed in to see another 2-lb drop immediately following my mad-scarf-day-off.  Usually I eat anything I want on the day off.  Well yesterday was my first day off where I ate MORE than I wanted.

Like Mr. Ferris outlines in his program, I went out of my way to be ridiculous in my calorie intake.  I literally ate--not all in one sitting--an entire loaf of fresh French bread...each slice loaded down with real butter, brie cheese and cherry jam.  On top of that I ate probably about 10 Reeses Peanut butter cups (5 packs) with 8 ounces of whole milk after each pack.  And throughout the day I polished off an entire 2-liter jug of Coca Cola....the real, sugar-laden stuff.

Just got off the scale and was 2 lbs lighter for a total of 8 lbs lost in 25 days (2.2 lbs per week avg).

Life is good when stuff goes right  :@`

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #136 on: January 30, 2008, 02:17:41 AM »
That's awesome Rob!  I gotta get back on that plan full time.  I'm doing about 70% of my meals that way, but I will be getting more serious in the next couple of days.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Cameron

• Sly Jr.
  • My wife and me. She loves the look!
« Reply #137 on: January 30, 2008, 08:23:21 AM »
Great thread.  This was a fun read.  Rob, do you think your day on/day off is preserving muscle very well?  That weight loss is awesome, but I wonder how much of that is lean mass.  If you're reasonably maintaining lean mass, I'm instantly adopting that for my next cutting phase! :)

I was reading through, and you mention doing 200 lb benches for really, really high reps (50, 100).  How is that going for you?

A few months ago I was hoping for something similar, but I approached it differently.  I started doing 135 x 20, then 150 x 20, etc.  And I got pretty far, but what I noticed was that I was putting in massive effort while my max was really suffering.  Where I once could throw down 300 for at least a few easy reps, after this process, I couldn't even do one.  My observation is that I think muscles will adapt themselves to a narrow range of reps--meaning either low reps, high weight, or really high reps, low weight, but I couldn't really succeed at both.

But I would love to see you prove me wrong!   O0
That'll do, donkey.  That'll do.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #138 on: January 30, 2008, 10:44:10 AM »
Cameron, thanks for the dialogue....helps me sharpen up.   Good points you bring up. O0

2 reasons I'm probably not losing muscle mass:

1 - I eat A LOT of protein
2 - I am doing resistance training (weights)

The "baby steps" / Super-high rep thing is actually an experiment.  Believe me, I'm really tempted to throw on the plates and back off on the reps.  But I'm gonna see this through for the next 4 months and see what the results are.

A couple things I'm noticing so far:

1 - I'm getting a bit of cardio added into the resistence training by doing so many reps
2 - I'm getting through the resistence training in far less time (I usually follow the Bill Phillips program of 6 sets per body part.)

A couple theories I have (since I'm not a knesiologist):

First:  The idea of eventually benching 200lbs 75 times straight just simply SOUNDS RAD no matter how ya slice it.  (I'm at 25 reps right now....1/3 the way there.)

Second:  It seems like that would build muscle endurance.

I'm looking at getting back into martial arts (Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu).  I know how it feels to be strong but burn out quickly when sparring.   Yeah, a lot of that is cardio conditioning.  But 16-oz. gloves get heavy way too quickly right now.   So another experiment is if this approach might add the endurance (not to mention SPEED) component to simple power and strength.

Anyway....we'll see. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 10:46:49 AM by Robmeister »

Bald_freak

« Reply #139 on: January 30, 2008, 04:31:34 PM »
As long as you stay consistant the pounds should keep melting off. Eventually you'll plateau, then it's just a matter of maintenance and upkeep.

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #140 on: January 31, 2008, 04:05:27 AM »
This whole thread gets me amped to get into training again.

My biggest vices are Beer and all manners of food. Thankfully my Better Half likes to cook healthy meals and keeps me check otherwise I'd be 300lbs. But in the past when I have gotten really serious about my fitness, I've been able to loose the weight easy enough.

Robmeister, I have lifted weights since I was 14(My Dad had his own weightroom in the rear of my Mothers hair salon,which was on our property) and I have always went the weight less reps over the less weight more reps route. I've never been the most cut of anyone but could always hold my own in strength and endurance. 3 years ago I was able to push up 250lbs twice which I was pretty happy with. I have sadly let myself go over the last 6 months or so. The result of sitting on my ass for 9 hours in a call centre but I get a lot of motivation for reading your posts on here.

Wish you all the best Bro in your continued progression!

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #141 on: February 11, 2008, 11:20:13 AM »
Time for an update:

Here’s the deal to refresh the main impetus of this fitness thrust of mine.

June 4th we will be driving to So. Calif. to visit family & friends.  Would like to lose 45 lbs by then (have lost 10 lbs and we’re ¼ of the way there, so I’m just a little behind).  We’ll be staying at the Huntington Beach Hyatt (right on the beach).  I’ll be teaching my son how to surf and getting’ on a board myself after many years.   So there ya have it.  For all those reasons I want to be a ripped stud when I strip down to my trunks.

All is well in all aspects of my program.  Monday February 11, 2008 finds me a bit ahead on my running goals and just slightly behind on my resistance stuff.  Also I’m just 2 lbs behind where I should be according to my progress chart.  Have dropped another 2lbs for a total of 10 lbs in 38 days.  That amounts to an average of 1.8 lbs per week (just shy of the 2 lbs per week I need to meet my goals).

Running, I’m up to 5.6 mph for 2.6 miles (from 4.8 mph for 2.0 miles). 

Reps, I’m up to 30 – 15 – 7 (from 12 – 6 – 3)  I’m starting to hit a wall so am pushing through some major BURN.

Onward and Upward !

r.b.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #142 on: November 26, 2008, 09:07:58 AM »
OK....new deal now that I've got DIABETES....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll post my Day #1 stats as they are posted over at the P90 / P90X Site:

Day #1 - 11/3/08

Weight: 247
Waist: 43"
BF%: 26%

Resting HR: 84 = PRETTY BAD (1 on scale of 1-7 [7=Best])
Blood Pressure: 154/94
Cholesterol: 269
Triglycerides: 700 (so high that no hdl/ldl readings are possible)

Diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2 Sept.15, 2008
On meds for High Cholesterol, High Blood Pressure and Hyperglycemia (High Blood Sugar)

UPDATE:

Day #24 of round 1 - Power 90

Weight: 239 (8 lbs lost)  O0
Waist: 41.5" (1.5 inches lost)   O0
BF%: 24% (2% lost)   O0
Resting HR: 74 = 3 on scale of 1-7, 7=Best (improvement of 10 "points")   O0
1-week average BLOOD GLUCOSE: 155 mg/dl (90 to 110 = normal) = improvement of 37 points!!!   O0

[Blood pressure, cholesterol & triglycerides work pending, Dec.29th]
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 07:40:53 AM by Robmeister »

Offline Wil87

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Low Lie The Fields of Athenry
« Reply #143 on: November 26, 2008, 09:18:37 AM »
Congrats Rob!!

Well done for sticking with it man!!

Keep up the good work !!!  W3!ght

marty22

« Reply #144 on: November 26, 2008, 09:20:01 AM »
watch the cholesterol and tryglecirides. Almost did me in.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #145 on: November 26, 2008, 09:22:07 AM »
watch the cholesterol and tryglecirides. Almost did me in.

DAMN NEAR DID ME IN TOO !!

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #146 on: November 26, 2008, 09:28:16 AM »
Check this guy out.  He's one of my online accountability buddy's (a SLY brother too!!)

Started out similar height and weight as me (6'1" - 250 lbs), but he's in his 50's, man.   

Did the New Years resolution thang at the beginning of this year, did a round or two of Power 90....then a round or 2 of P90X and here's where he was at 9/28/08 (Day #270).  Here he's down to like 185-190.

2 months later and he's still loggin' in his workouts 6 days a week, man.

And he ain't no isolated case......just a mellow dude from California fed up with luggin' around a bunch of extra luggage all day, everyday.......nor is he one of the published "winners" used in marketing.

Bottom line:  THIS SH*T WORKS !!!

I have 246 days to go.   That would.....**ehemm**...WILL be great to be so lean for Rocklahoma in July '09!!!

« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 09:40:37 AM by Robmeister »

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #147 on: November 26, 2008, 10:39:36 AM »
WOW!
Hell of a transformation.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #148 on: November 27, 2008, 07:58:55 AM »
Rob,
I didn't even notice the fact you were diagnosed with diabetes. Keep that in check. My mom was diagnosed diabetic (at the same time she was going through heart valve replacement and a underperforming thyroid). Man, the diagnosis was actually a blessing in disguise. As a result of getting her system right, she's dropped 45 pounds and feels better now than she has in many, many years.

Oh, I checked out that P90 website...amazing stories, incredible transformations. I'll post a note on my fitness points so not to hijack your thread.

Keep up the good work and Happy Thanksgiving to the Colorado Meisters (tell the kids their Uncle Schro sends them a big hug).

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #149 on: November 27, 2008, 12:40:34 PM »
What kind of diet does this program involve?  The website doesn't really say, or if it does, I couldn't find it.  I think I'm already doing most of the exercises required.  But one of my goals for the new year is to try and modify my diet so I can shed a few pounds of body fat.

Enter your email address: