Author Topic: New guy trying to get the nerve  (Read 12388 times)

Offline tjmitchinwi

• Learning the way of Sly
  • Shaved near the Frozen Tundra!
New guy trying to get the nerve
« on: December 27, 2007, 07:20:33 AM »
Hey guys....
I have been trying to gather up the nerve to go sly and I am petrified. I have been losing my hair since I was 16 and I am 35 now. I shave it using clippers down to a 3/8 cut, so I do like it short. I just don't know if I am ready to go to the shaved look. 1) I am afraid of having an ugly head, 2) being pasty white here in Wisconsin and 3) scaring my kids (lol).
I have enjoyed reading everything on the website, and I have gotten some great advice and testimonials. I have had some life changing events over the past year and I need a change.

I would greatly appreciate any words of wisdom out there as I get closer to the day.
Thanks.

<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080102/samp3ce2c5b705d1ad85.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: New guy trying to get the nerve
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 07:25:24 AM »
dude, welcome. i think it will look sharp. you remind me of a younger schro (but don't remind him of his age experience with life.) go for it bro. you are so close now that it reallty wouldn't be that big of a step. and if you decide that it ain't to your liking, it will grow back quickly.  paulie

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

GASlick

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 07:47:18 AM »
Welcome to forum.  I think you'll look really sharp being sly.  When I first did it, I was a little nervous too.  It is great.  I was in need of a change too and haven't turned back in two years.  Keep us updated and show us the new sly you.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 08:04:39 AM »
You are half way there bro...go for it.  Like Paulie said...it will grow back quickly if you dont like it.  But.....You must give it the 30 day run......then after that if you dont like it......well.....too bad youre stuck with it...cause if you shave your head everyday for 30 days straight you kill all of your root folicals and well they just wont grow back!  LOL...just kidding bro...I think you would look great.  AHHHHHHHH what the hell...just do it....at least once...you wont know until you try.  Right???
Looking forward to seeing a new pic of ya....SLY!
See ya
Timmy

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 08:26:08 AM »
First off welcome to the forum tj.  Great to have you with us.  Second, it is pretty common to be nervous about any major change that someone makes in life.  But if you are already clipping it short, it won't be much of a change.  As Timm said, if for some reason you don't like it (and that is highly unlikely) it will grow back quick to where you are already at.  Though from your pic you are gonna rock the sly look, bro. O0
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 09:03:34 AM »
Welcome TJ.  I can vaguely remember being scared to death of the change, myself.  From looking at your pic, I think you will look great.  Just remember, life is just way to short to always be wondering about something you want to do.  Especially this, since it will grow back.  This would be the perfect time, since you have a long weekend coming up and if you don't like it, you'll have a good start on growing it back.  My experience (and that of every other guy on this forum) is that our fears are way too overblown.  It is usually only a big deal in our minds.  Besides, once you get the idea in your head, you have to do the deed or it will just drive you nuts thinking about it.

Best of luck.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 09:10:45 AM »
You got the bug ... now do the deed!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 09:24:51 AM »
Wecome TJ. You've already gotten some great advice from the bros ....

I was as petrified as you before doing it.  It was definitely awkward in the very beginning, but that very quickly transformed into freedom.  I genuinely wish I didn't wait this long to do it.

Give it 30 days completely shaved.  You're already buzzing it short ....
“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 09:54:28 AM »
You've got a young-looking face.  The horseshoe makes everyone look older.  You could easily take 5 years off your appearance by getting rid of yours.  Like the others have said, it will grow back in a few days in the unlikely event that you don't like it.  The worst that can happen is that you have a few days with a haircut you're not thrilled with.  The best that can happen (and the more likely outcome) is that you'll be thrilled with your new look, feel a lot more confident and ask yourself why you didn't do it sooner. 

Another point to remember:  when was the last time you saw a guy with a shaved head and thought, "That guy would look great if he only had a horseshoe of hair around the sides of his head?    ::)

Offline joergHH

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 10:17:51 AM »
Welcome TJ!

You sit on the fence, now come on and jump. You will feel very very good having done the deed. It's a good start for 2008.

If you don't like it, it's just hair and it will regrow.

J

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 10:19:02 AM »
tj....welcome 2 the sly fraternity.  glad tha ya found us.  it's normal 2 b a little scared when U  R  thinking 'bout shaving your dome smooooth.  we all have been there....however....since U  R  having thoughts about doing the deed, u will never ever B comfortable until u get a quality razor and shave that noggin'.  btw...timmy is wrong u r not 1/2 there u R 85% there already.  so... why don't u get the rest of the 15% taken off.  i promise u ....that u won't regret it.  anyways....with all that said... just do it when u r ready. 

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 10:57:29 AM »
Welcome TJ!

You sit on the fence, now come on and jump. You will feel very very good having done the deed. It's a good start for 2008.

If you don't like it, it's just hair and it will regrow.

J

Come on TJ.....we are here to catch ya man....just close your eyes..and jump...wait ..dont close your eyes..you might cut yourself.  What you need to do maybe is go to a barber...take your own razor...tell him to Smooth you off.......dont look in the mirror while he doing it.......have a cigar ready....stick it in your mouth.....have him spin you around .....and BINGO!  There ya go...bro....Awesome looking hair cut....

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 11:02:15 AM »
Another point to remember:  when was the last time you saw a guy with a shaved head and thought, "That guy would look great if he only had a horseshoe of hair around the sides of his head?    ::)

TJ, Razor reminded me of another point that helped to push me off the fence.  Probably the thing that you are fearing the most is change and what other people will say or think.  From the looks of your pic with the horseshoe, most people probably already consider you to be "bald".  So why not take the leap.  It's not as big of a leap as it probably looks from where you are at right now.  I would much rather for people to say that I have a "shaved" head that to say "you know, that balding guy".

We're all behind you and we've been where you are right now.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 11:08:56 AM »
I do that Rick....when I see someone wiht a horseshoe....Im like ok dude...take it off...looks like you have something from a windstorm stuck to your head and it hit you from the back and wrapped itself around your head.  I dont know what their mission is.  Do these guys with horseshoes....do they think it looks stylish...or is it that they are just really hanging onto the last bit of hair they have left.  Im just asking TJ.....what is your view on the horseshoe?  Not trying to be sarcastic...it is just that I have never asked a guy with a horseshoe.....Because more than likely if it is that they have it there cause they dont want to be considered "BALD'...well my friend....most people look at you from the front when they are talking to you....not the back...so what do you think they see when they talk to you?  I have heard it over and over again..when someone is trying to point out a person in a crowd...."You see that guy over there who is Bald on TOP?"  Well just do it  bro....you wont be sorry.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 11:19:48 AM »
TJ, welcome to Sly Bald Guys.  These guys have all given you some great advice.  Like anything in life, you won't really know what it's like to do something unless you actually do it. 
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.