Author Topic: Early vs. Late-Onset MPB  (Read 52791 times)

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
Re: Early vs. Late-Onset MPB
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2007, 05:11:48 PM »
A red head that I dated for a bit used to say that "Red heads do what blondes dream about" in her most seductive voice.   >:D

The become puppies?
“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline Itsacon

• Little Joe
  • Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2007, 06:44:14 AM »
My hair started receding at 20.  It paused a bit in, but at 25 I can see the steady progression backwards.  I have been comfortable going bald (my dad is bald, except for that screwy ring around hte back of the head, why does he DO that?) for a long time now though, because of the early onset.  I think that the people that have the most issue with me going bald now are all my sisters.

I have buzzed my head a few times, seeing the recession a bit more each time, but come january is the first time I'll razor it.  The wife isn't so keen on any change to the hair, however, and I think that's why I'm suddenly self conscious about shaving it all off.  I am interested to hear if anyone else has this experience with their wives or long standing girlfriends? 
Going Sly for Cancer research in January, Twenty oh Eight.

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2007, 06:57:48 AM »
Joe, That seems to be a typical response from most wives.  Don't know why that is.  But usually they either learn to like it or just accept it because it's something that you like.  The self-confidence and attitude should be what's most important.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2007, 08:05:54 AM »
I agree with SLYinKC. I wanted to go SLY but worrried what my wife would think of the ultimate look. And yes, I did care what she thought, because if she liked it, the confidence and self-esteem boost would be that much better.

While I was on the fence for 6 months, going shorter and shorter, trying to decide to shave it or not, I kept reading the great advice here and got some one-on-one advice PM'd to me as well. They all suggested that once you do it, stick with it for at least 30 days. These guys are never wrong. They've got great advice and know that relief from the anxiety is a blade away

Well, I did it just before Thanksgiving and haven't looked back as I approach my 1-month anniversary. It's amazing how it just becomes part of who you are (if you like it and carry your bald head high, that is). My wife has actually gotten used to it, too. The head rubs are an added bonus.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2007, 08:52:48 AM »
My wife has now had nearly 10 weeks to get "used to it" and she hasn't!  Maybe it's the redhead thing >:D >:D, who knows.  My thinking now is to let it start to grow out around next August because the MPB won't have improved and by then, maybe, the deterioration in my "glorious mane" will be so obvious that she'll have the chance to approve.  If she doesn't, it will come off again because I have to be comfortable walking around w/ the dying remains of the mop--she doesn't.  I can't do that and I'm comfortable Sly, I know I look good in business suits at work as well as in casual clothes other times.  I've gotten so many compliments in the past ten weeks, many of them in front of her, w/ the Sly look, and, as many may recall, you get no compliments about the MPB.  Can you imagine someone  telling you, "Gee, you look good w/ the greying fringe and thinning top--it's a hot look!"  NEVER.  So, if she doesn't come around by August, she'll get a short term revisit w/ the dying mop, then it's gone for good.  She changes, not my appearance.  She'll just have to learn to live with it. :x! :x!  Yes, I've got an attitude. 

ugabulldog

« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2007, 10:07:29 AM »
congrats Rob on your 1 month anniversary... to little joe and saintc: my wife did not like the shaved look when I first did it. Now I have grown it back for winter, and job reasons and now she prefers the shaved look better (due to obvious thinning) and wants me to shave again. We have both agreed it will be better to wait till Spring though and she prefers a little stubble over completely slick. I am still an active member on here even though I am not sly at the moment (sshhh) and even though I prefer a little stubble because this is such a great group of guys and they except people regardless.

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2007, 01:29:28 PM »
I just had my wife and one of my best friends (I have known since I was 15) both tell me how I am 100% better looking without hair. They were actually laughing at me having hair saying "Hair just was not your thing".

and there I was back when I started loosing my hair thinking that I was loosing my looks, etc.
“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

BALDANDRE

« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2007, 02:04:51 PM »
I just had my wife and one of my best friends (I have known since I was 15) both tell me how I am 100% better looking without hair. They were actually laughing at me having hair saying "Hair just was not your thing".

and there I was back when I started loosing my hair thinking that I was loosing my looks, etc.

Yea, that's the thing I get a lot...I actually look better overall without any hair on my head...dudes on the fence need to understand that..

some dudes look better bald (even if they aren't losing it) without a single hair on their heads!

You got a smart wifey there Mars! O0

Offline MrBlonde177

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2008, 03:52:21 AM »
Yeah it sure is a blow to the old self-esteem losing hair at age 18-20, but I'm hoping it'll just take some time to get over it.  I hate hearing crap for it at parties though, they think it's all in good fun but I'm not laughing.  I don't understand how people can be that stupid.   If you see an old friend you haven't seen in a long time who has gained some weight, you don't point it out and make them feel bad, why would you?  A guy at my new years party pointed out my thinning hair up front and the guy had acne.  I could have hit him back with that, but did I?  Nope.  Guess I just don't have it in me to make others feel bad for no reason.   :)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2008, 04:09:53 AM »
Yeah it sure is a blow to the old self-esteem losing hair at age 18-20, but I'm hoping it'll just take some time to get over it.  I hate hearing crap for it at parties though, they think it's all in good fun but I'm not laughing. 

Believe it or not, once you shave it, the wisecracks pretty much stop.

I don't understand how people can be that stupid.   If you see an old friend you haven't seen in a long time who has gained some weight, you don't point it out and make them feel bad, why would you?

You'd be surprised, some people do.  Trust me, I've been on the receiving end of that one.  Some people are just rude.

Offline dinosaur

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2008, 07:37:46 PM »
so i opened this thread and began reading the various early v. late arguments... but somehow it became a discussion about redheads? oy you guys are ridiculous (but i love it, of course)

anyways, my two cents: i came in here all gung-ho ready to post about why Early mbp is waaaaay worse than Later. you know cuz when you're old, you're old and who cares, old ppl get bald - fact of life. haha no offense, that was just my initial observation... but i thought about it more and realized that wasn't so much the issue. really, at any age it's going to suck because you're forced to part with something you've likely had your whole life! a person who starts balding at 30 or 40 has known their hair for a good decade or two longer than a person of just 20! and to adapt to a new appearance/style change when you're older and more set in your ways must be incredibly difficult! that, plus the whole "you dont know what you got til it's gone" aspect of it.

that said, there are still a plenty of set-backs to early mbp. for one, we're still "out-on-the-prowl" for young hotties to trick into dating us. by trick i mean woo, of course.  it just makes it harder to compete for the cuties when you're the only one in your circle of young single guy friends who has to worry about a condition that is traditionally associated with being old. when you're young, you wanna be young forever! or at least until you find a potential mate.  thoughts like "i'll never get any girls if i'm BALDING!!" begin to plague your mind.  haha oh man. however, with this site, all that is irrelevent because now we have a venue to express our thoughts and concerns, and share stories and support with one another.

so i began to to think of ways in which balding at a younger age can IMPROVE your quality of life:

1. Humility - dealing w/ MBP has caused me to become a more humble person. not just concerning balding, but any other type of event that people may go through. sometimes you just take things for granted because you haven't seen the other side.
2. Confidence - this one gets tossed around a bunch but it's true. you begin to grow thicker skin as you embrace this new change. things people say/said/or do don't affect you as much, and you can become more comfortable with yourself. this is a trait that will help the young bald guy in his career, social- and love-lives.
3. Social life - chances are if you've embraced Sly-dom at a young age, you can establish the link between sly and you. people will begin to forget the you with hair and will probably mention they could never imagine you WITH hair as Sly-ness becomes a part of your persona.
4. Dating/Marriage - no worrying what the wife you think when you shave your head, because you will probably meet her as a bald man! eliminates the dread of the "my wife hates it" factor because your future spouse met you when you were bald and probably fell for you because of it!

BALDANDRE

« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2008, 10:31:31 PM »
Dinosaur!!!!!

Dude what you said rocks...older dudes should listen to this great message...

You know I hate to say this , but maybe going bald early was the best thing to happen to you dude..

With your attitude you're gonna go far my friend..

You've only been shaved smooth for ONE DAY...come on fess up..wisdom like that usually takes at least a good amount of years sly!

O0 O0 O0

DAT Boy

« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2008, 09:59:57 PM »
Dudes, it has to be better meeting your future wife when you are already bald then dealing with it years later, when you've been together. 
It is impossible to totally predict what a wife/spouse/significant other will think or say about your look.  My wife met me when I had a full head of hair.  Now decades later, she misses the hair.  We had some major "discussions" when I finally came to grips with my MPB and shaved.  She did just about everything to include threaten the "or else...!", which was worse than anything physical. 
Now, I shave the "front" portion and buzz everything else real close.  It's still a compromise.  But ironically, people at work who I see occasionally, don't notice the difference.  They think of me as bald, and if I have some fuzz on the back portion, they dismiss it as me being lazy.  Only follically challenged guys seem to notice whether I shaved that day, or got lazy and buzzed, or used an electric razor.
Younger guys have more mental baggage about going bald early in life.  Later on, not too many people care.  Personally, I'm more concerned about being able to see my face in the mirror the next morning, vs. how I look.  Funny how perspectives change as we age.
Oh, and yes, I'm new here (first posting).

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2008, 12:11:53 AM »
DAT Boy, welcome to Sly Bald Guys!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline bonanza50

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2008, 11:08:26 AM »
I went to a military college and had my head shaven at 17. I thence kept it cropped short and that mitigated the appearance of my early MPB.