Author Topic: Need some advice  (Read 2066 times)

Offline prot66

• Learning the way of Sly
Need some advice
« on: February 17, 2014, 05:32:43 PM »
Hi guys!
I am new here and I am from Poland so first of all please forgive me for my bad English.

I am 21 and have "perfect" hair, I mean I have no problem with hair loss... BUT I just dont like it because I look too childlike and dont feel comfortable with it.. so I would like to start shaving my head. At the beginning I dont want to do that with razor but want to try electric clippers and shaving it (or buzzing) with no guard. - cause I think 3mm (0.11 inches) is too long

But here I have a few worries:
1. Wont it hurt my head while shaving without guard?
2. Is it possible to shave it evenly?
3. After shaving I dont want it to look "sly bald".
I have searched on the internet and find for example these clippers which are shaving on 1mm (0,03 inches) with no guard http://www.topbrand.cz/fotky17528/fotos/_vyrn_909TN1210F0.jpg . ROWENTA TN1210F0
So I am just asking what do you think and look forward to your comments.  :) Thank you

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
Re: Need some advice
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 06:20:46 PM »
Welcome, sir.

Clippers are designed so that they will not hurt your skin, so do not worry about using them without the guard. And yes, it is very possible to get an even length all over your head.

As for looking Sly smooth after the clippers, well, that depends upon what you think is too smooth. No guard is going to get you almost to a shaved look. If that is too bald for you, I would suggest you start off using the guards on the clippers working your way shorter and shorter until you get the length you like.

Remember that if you do go too short, that perfect hair will grow back to the length you liked within a couple of weeks.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 06:23:08 PM by Cave Dweller »
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 07:44:50 PM »
Welcome.

And how close to "Sly" it looks will also depend on your hair color and thickness. Thin and light color hair does not provide much contrast to the skin color ... versus black and thick hair which, even if short, will clearly be more noticeable.

As Cave Dweller said ... start off using the clipper guards and keep going shorter until you find the look which you like.

However, though I think Sly (or "near sly") can look great on anyone of any age ... I can't think of a time it made the guy look older (which is your objective).
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline zzaapp

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 10:44:09 PM »
The clipper that you show could cut you if you point the clipper straight at your head.  It is hard to see from the picture of the clipper whether or not it has a flat plate surface.  I prefer a design that has a good sized flat surface that positions the blades to cut your hair, and not your skin. 

Try looking at this Andis 13 to see what I'm talking about.  http://www.sallybeauty.com/andis-haircuttingkit/SBS-395051,default,pd.html#start=15&sz=12 

The clipper you are considering could be used safely with care, but I think a flat surface makes it easier to use without a guard.  It's a matter of personal preference.

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 05:39:30 AM »
At your age I had similar feelings, wanting little or no hair.  I kept it at short buzz cut which is what I would recommend for you to start. 

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 05:50:42 AM »
Pozdrowienia dla SBG. Znajdziesz wspaniałe porady przez przyjaznych ludzi !

Offline prot66

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 09:58:00 AM »
Dziękuję! Thank you all for response.  O0

Enter your email address: