Author Topic: Jergens Natural Glow is a DHA product (Dihydroxyacetone)..?  (Read 14106 times)

Offline Bald-E-1

• Learning the way of Sly
Jergens Natural Glow is a DHA product (Dihydroxyacetone)..?
« on: August 06, 2013, 09:25:27 AM »
I've just had my first treatment of laser hair removal and im unable to use any tanning product that changes the skin or affects pigmentation in any way. So i just now thought i'd do some research on bronzers that wash off in the hope that they have no affect on the skin.

Im still not finished with that but what i've discovered is that Jergens Natural Glow is a DHA (Dihydroxyacetone) tanning product. A quick Wiki will tell you that DHA products work by reacting with the amino acids on the dead layer of your skin to create a browning effect.

The thing that concerns me about DHA products and i suppose this is currently and widely debated, is that even though its FDA approved, its not FDA approved for inhalation, including application to the area of the eyes, lips, or mucous membrane (nose for example), or internally. It has also been known to cause contact dermatitus.
The chemical fragrance in some products can trigger allergies aswell as asthma which i have experienced first hand using a DHA bronzer - and this is triggered purely though skin absorption, which means it has travelled to the lungs (?).

Which brings me on to my next concern - absorption. A quote from the same Wiki article ;
"The FDA released a report that DHA is absorbed into deeper layers of skin and may be less safe than previously thought. However, any absorption into the living areas of the skin could pose a potential risk, even if none of it made it into the bloodstream, said Dr. Darrell Rigel, an NYU professor of dermatology. The fact that some does potentially get into the bloodstream raised additional red flags for him that he said needed to be further explored."

So just some slight concerns i have about these products, particularily because if you are using it as a daily moisturiser or such, it will be absorbed by the nose, lips and eye area (partially), even if you try to avoid it (simply by accidental spreading), and as the FDA suggests, it is being heavily absorbed.

Heres the part im not sure about ; all this info is regarding products that contain DHA as an active ingredient, im not sure if this is just bad labelling but Jergens lists two active ingredients (Octinoxate and Oxybenzone) but not DHA nor the concentration of it and is listed amongst the remaining ingredients.

Could this mean that Jergens does not fall into the active DHA catergory of products ?

Im completely confused here. I'd just thought i'd raise a possible flag here since im not very well informed on this subject and its a highly recommended product.

A big thank you to anyone who can chime in.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
Re: Jergens Natural Glow is a DHA product (Dihydroxyacetone)..?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 12:12:00 AM »
Heres the part im not sure about ; all this info is regarding products that contain DHA as an active ingredient, im not sure if this is just bad labelling but Jergens lists two active ingredients (Octinoxate and Oxybenzone) but not DHA nor the concentration of it and is listed amongst the remaining ingredients.

I raised concerns a few years ago about the hazards of Oxybenzone. If one were to google that substance one might find out that Oxybenzone is one of a number of substances that fall into a category referred to as Synthetic Estrogen. I can't remember the name of the website that I got that info off of but a couple of well meaning dudes pointed out that the site was a left wing green conspiracy website and that I was being alarmist and a conspiracy theorist for even bringing the matter up.
So I took a quick personal inventory and admitted my wrongdoings and I felt better for it. >:D
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

MarshalArtist

Re: Re: Jergens Natural Glow is a DHA product (Dihydroxyacetone)..?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 03:46:40 PM »
I can tell you oxybenzone is not a synthetic estrogen.  It is an ester but not an estrogen. One is a salt of an organic acid (benzoic in this case) and one is a female sex steroid. 
If DHA is not listed as an active ingredient, I would guess it isn't in the batch you have.  If it were there, it would be active.