Author Topic: A question  (Read 6304 times)

Offline Aphac

• Learning the way of Sly
A question
« on: February 03, 2013, 02:40:20 PM »
I've always had a nice thick head of hair. Even when I started losing it nearly 20 years ago, most of my head had really thick hair. Now my thinning top and crown just looks bad. I made the decision to shave my head some time ago but now is the time to do it. My only question is, should I first get a close buzz - like a 1 or a 2 from my barber? I ask because a friend shaved is head abruptly and his head looked blue until the newly exposed skin darkened a bit. About half of my head has very thick hair which has not been cut close in 30+ years. Is it worth going down to the skin in stages or should I just get it all done immediately?

Thanks in advance

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: A question
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 02:45:24 PM »
Welcome! I don't think it matters one way or the other, but it's good that if you go all the way right away, make sure you have the proper tools to do the deed, and also the mental toughness to deal with the reaction of others. But if you buzz first, you and others can get acclimated to you having shorter and eventually no hair at all. Good Luck (posting a pic would help if you need some more advice)
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline slyjoe

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 02:51:58 PM »
Welcome Aphac.

It doesn't really matter, like SlySirHarry said. Get it as short a possible if you want to. If you really want to be a sly veteran(or something close to that) break out a razor and shave it.
"Sly til the day I die"

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 02:53:32 PM »
There is no "correct" answer. A lot of us (me included) did it all at once and were awestruck (in a good way) at the immediate change. Others have done it in very small steps so few people would actually notice - and they were quite happy with that approach. and others straddled the two paths.

You just have to do what seems best for you.

To me, doing it bit by bit is like pulling off a band-aid ... there's a lot of discomfort until you finally feel relief!
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 02:59:34 PM »
Welcome  O0 and just Getter Done  ;) 8)  You will love it ! 
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline slyjoe

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 03:02:04 PM »
There is no "correct" answer. A lot of us (me included) did it all at once and were awestruck (in a good way) at the immediate change. Others have done it in very small steps so few people would actually notice - and they were quite happy with that approach. and others straddled the two paths.

To me, doing it bit by bit is like pulling off a band-aid ... there's a lot of discomfort until you finally feel relief!
I loved that last line. What is that a metaphor? I failed english, and basically everyclass so im not that "smart"
"Sly til the day I die"

Offline Aphac

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 03:08:45 PM »
I'm leaning towards just getting it done. Either way though, I need the supplies. I will check out the other forums for equipment options.

Offline lsflipper

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 03:25:07 PM »
I decided to shave it off and did it all at one time and did not regret it. Buzzing it first for a while would not satisfy me, it meant I still had hair and I didn't want hair anymore. But everyone is different. It has to be your choice. Going bald for the first time is a bold move.
Larry the bald guy

Offline Kevin G

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 04:54:00 PM »
Welcome to the forum Aphac.  Honestly if you are leaning towards just getting it done, that is what I would do.  I went the more gradual route and buzzed it for about 2 months before shaving it completely bald.  And for me it was just like everyone told me when they said that you will wonder why you did not do it sooner.  I really had wished that I would have shaved my head much sooner.  

But buzzing your hair at first does have some benefits too, if you are unsure.  For me it allowed my family and most importantly myself get used to the new look.  It also let me assess what condition my scalp was in(I had a very dry scalp that I did not know about) and do something about it before the big shave.  If you do go with the buzzed option at first, I would go down to at least a #1.  Going to a #1 or lower will give you a real good idea what you will look like bald.  Once you shave it completely bald it will be total relief like Frontier Guy said and I am sure that you will be happy that you did.  

As far as equipment I would recommend that you try the Shick Hydro 5 razor.  If was what I first shaved my head with.  I also tried the Gillette Fusion Proglide and Headblade ATX and both are fine razors.  The Shick has once again become my favorite.  You just can not beat the comfort of the blade.  I do think that the Gillette shaves slightly closer but with the Shick once you start shaving ATG with it, you will still get a very nice BBS shave.  While I liked the ATX at first, in the end I ultimately did not like the 4 blade razors that came with it.  They felt the most abrasive of the three razors.  I am going to try some other blades with it at some point because the ATX really is a neat razor.  Now if only Headblade would come up with an adaptor to use the Hydro 5 razors on the ATX, hmm...  O0.

As far as shaving cream/gel goes, Nivea and Aveeno makes some nice stuff.  A lot of people also love Headslick by Headblade.  I used to not be too crazy about it, but I have had a change of heart.  So check it out.  I am sure many other people here will give you some suggestions too.  Keep us updated on what you do, take care.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 04:56:19 PM by Kevin G »

Offline Aphac

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 07:03:26 PM »
Thanks Kevin for your thoughtful input. I will check out the equipment you mentioned.

Offline Kevin G

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 07:21:48 PM »
You are most welcome Aphac.  Feel free to ask as many questions as you like.  I would be more then happy to help you anyway I can.   And I know that everyone else here feels the same way.  The community on SBG is pretty awesome.

Offline Crusher0209

• Super Sly
  • Life is short and you never know when it will end
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 03:34:29 PM »

I loved that last line. What is that a metaphor? I failed english, and basically everyclass so im not that "smart"

Slyjoe to answer your question it is a simile but they are almost alike so it can be easy to mix them up. Aphac I hope all goes well for you

Offline slyjoe

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 04:02:11 PM »

Slyjoe to answer your question it is a simile but they are almost alike so it can be easy to mix them up. Aphac I hope all goes well for you
I am quite familiar with simile's...ha ha
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 04:03:54 PM by slyjoe »
"Sly til the day I die"

Accepted

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 05:46:51 AM »
if you've been losing your hair for 20 years, you might as well do the buzz n then shave it... also helps you adjust in phases, but either way works, you just need 2-3 days to get the color right :P

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 10:56:32 AM »
Here's another one that just did it. But then I'd been sporting an 1/8th inch buzz cut for ten years so I was close to bald anyway.
Hair is over rated.

Enter your email address: