Author Topic: Im 22 & 3months old should i go bald  (Read 20987 times)

Offline Lee Layfield

• Sly Guy in Training
Im 22 & 3months old should i go bald
« on: December 16, 2012, 10:13:46 AM »
Ive been on this site a few times now and have joined and this is my first post. As the title states im just over 22, my hair has always be high and since around 18 started receding, my crown is OK nothing shocking but my front is pretty bad, my hair used to be pretty thick as well but appears to be thinning now as well as receding, it also looks worse in well lit areas.  I mentioned going bald to my family and they all told me not to do etc, (im sure we've all heard that part before) Im happy to go bald but would also like to keep my hair for a little while longer say a year or 2 or until it goes to an extremely noticeable level.

Ive looked around the forums and seen people younger than me going bald but i am unsure about my head shape? can some please recommend when I should go bald and if I have the right head shape to pull it off (i would prefer an honest answer though im sure ill get it  :) ) Lastly im not confident due to my appearance and feel id have to really fight my way to get my confidence back and complete your 30 day rule as it wouldn't take much to knock me down and end up regrowing my hair again even if it looks bad :(

i Hope i attached the file correctly

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Re: Im 22 & 3months old should i go bald
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 11:20:37 AM »
My advice would be to buzz your hair progressively shorter in the coming weeks.  This lets you gradually adjust your appearance and you can stop at any point / length that you are comfortable with.  Should you get to a zero or no guard buzz, you'll have an idea of what you will look like sly.

It sounds like you are thinking about your hair a lot and that is causing a drag on your life.  As most of us will attest, we experience a boost in our confidence and self-esteem when we went sly.  There are many important things in life, worrying about hair shouldn't intrude on them.

isleepinthebuff

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 11:23:14 AM »
In all honesty I dont think your hair is that bad. If you want to keep your hair for longer then do so as it's not at the stage of looking like to desperately need to go sly

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 12:16:03 PM »
I'll agree with the fellow above. Get your clippers out and start buzzing. Start with a longer style.  It's pretty easy to use a wahl clipper with a #8 on top and then progressively shorter as you get to the lower parts of your head.  Next week or two start with #7, then #6, etc. Until you've taken the guard off and your almost there.  Buzzed to no guard looks almost bald, but shaving your head bald has an incredible feel to it.  It's a big feel difference.

If you look around on this site, you'll see a lot of guys ask "I don't think I've got a good head shape ....". Then they shave their head and prove that they've got a great head shape and there really is no issue. 

Alternate to the above procedure, is to take a vacation. Buzz right to no guard, shave it immediately. You'll have enough time to grow some hair back afterwards if you don't like it.

But I would strongly recommend the 30 day rule.

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 01:37:20 PM »
Welcome Lee !  You aren't going to know unless you buzz it.  I will grow back.
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline YoungSlyBaldGuy

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 01:41:29 PM »
In all honesty I dont think your hair is that bad. If you want to keep your hair for longer then do so as it's not at the stage of looking like to desperately need to go sly

I agree with this ^^^ It looks pretty decent to me. I shave mainly because my crown has thinned a little and I'm conscious of people behind me seeing that.  (I'm 22 and 4 months).

You should look at the many hairstyles of Jude Law. His hair has been receding a long time, but fine in the back.

Offline fanta

• Bald By Choice
  • Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 02:19:40 PM »
Hi Lee.

We're the same age.

In my opinion, your hair is not horrible at all. But if your hair is a problem for you, and if you thought about shaving it all off (and so did you, as you're here), I think you should shave it. Nobody can tell if your skull is OK, and you're the only one able to say if you're nice when bald.

If your hair bothers you, just get rid of it, you may increase your self esteem after that. I did the choice to get bald 2 weeks ago, and have no regret, at 22 y-o too. You should at least give a try. And if you think you could look smart with a shaved head, why should you wait 2 years (as you said) before getting sly ? If you don't like your new look, it will grow again anyway.

Good luck :)

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 02:37:57 PM »
Go for it! Like switchblade said, that's the only way to find out how it'll look. And your hair will grow back if you don't like the way sly looks on you.
Hair is over rated.

Offline leighmundo40

• Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 03:03:07 PM »
Hey and welcome!

Like the others have said, your hair looks pretty OK to me, but try cutting it shorter and shorter to see what you think. There isn't a rush and it will gradually give you an idea of what it might look like.

It's your hair, you can do with it what you like!

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 03:43:23 PM »
Welcome,

As others have said your hair doesn't look bad at all.

But I highly recommend at least clippering or shaving solely for the experience!

As said above "It will grow back."
Lynchy

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 04:07:30 PM »
Yeah, what they all said (above). Solid advice.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 08:05:12 PM »
The truth is, there's probably never going to be a moment where you feel 100% sure that you're ready to shave.  It's always a leap of faith and usually well worth it in the end. 

I can understand wanting to hold onto your hair for as long as possible.  Been there, done that.  The problem with that approach is that it constantly preys on your mind and you're constantly evaluating whether you're "there" yet. 

I don't think it looks too bad yet, but clearly it's bothering you.  I agree with the guys who suggested buzzing it and gradually going shorter as you feel more comfortable.  Take it down to #2 to start and go shorter when you feel ready.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 08:44:55 PM »
Welcome aboard! I would try a nice short buzz like the others said.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Kevin G

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 01:39:37 AM »
Great advice from everyone.  I especially want to point out something that Razor X said-  

"I can understand wanting to hold onto your hair for as long as possible.  Been there, done that.  The problem with that approach is that it constantly preys on your mind and you're constantly evaluating whether you're "there" yet."

This is a key statement and very true.  Honestly if you are worried about it now, it will only torment you more and more.  I was in this same boat when I joined these forums back in early October.  I kept trying to hang onto what hair I had for years and even used a hair concealer.  But it eventually kept getting worse and became more difficult to hide my bald spots.  This all caused a lot of mental stress for me.  Do not let this happen to you.

I finally did something about it and decided to get it cut short after lurking these forums for a while.  Started with a #2.  Immediately I took it to a #1 and liked it even better, but I have to admit it took a little while to get used to.  Then I took it to a #.5  two weeks ago.  Just yesterday finally took the plunge to sly and love it.

If I was you I would start with a #2 buzz cut then progress down to a #1.  Honestly once you go to a #1 and lower you will get a good idea of your head shape and what you will look like bald.  Now granted your hair does not look bad right now, but ask yourself do you really want the stress?

And by all means stay away from hair implants or Propecia.  Thank God I never messed with that stuff.  Implants will leave scars on your head and Propecia can make you impotent.  You probably were not thinking about this stuff, but I just figured that I would throw this out there anyway.  Take care and good luck.  Keep us posted on what you decide O0.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 01:44:42 AM by Kevin G »

Offline Lee Layfield

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 05:01:44 AM »
Wow thanks guys so many great responses in so little time, and im happy to say im going to start buzzing my hair shorter and shorter once every few weeks until I find a good length and when i feel the time is right im going to go SLY.  

I suddenly don't feel as bothered about my hair as I did 24 hours ago it as if I gone through the 5 stages of denial anger depression bargaining an finally acceptance pretty quick. Also i had seen on a few post people mention regain and Propecia or transplants i have thought of this for about 5 seconds and thought that's crazy id rather go bald than lose out on so much money for a transplant that may fail or regain that may also fail and cost way to much, it would also mean id still have to wash/style an deal with hair and against just going sly well its no contest at all.

Im going to embrace whatever my hair wants to do and let it be after all its just hair and confidence is worth so much more :).
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 05:08:53 AM by Lee Layfield »