Author Topic: Very Hurtful reactions from mother...how to cope/deal?  (Read 14741 times)

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
Re: Very Hurtful reactions from mother...how to cope/deal?
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2012, 02:30:42 PM »
You young guys will make it !  A hundred years ago when I had hair, I let it grow out but back in those days wild and wooly and full of fleas never been curried below the knees  ;D I couldn't even stand it .  But in those times had to do it .  There are always going to be people , and those we love .  But we learn in life first you take care of yourself, and then others.  And as we all grow up !  It shows to our elders we are coming of age to decide on what , and who we shall be.   O0 8)
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Viking

• Sly
  • The artist formally known as Gearhead.......
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2012, 05:50:31 PM »
This seems to be quite an extreme case but I think we do have to think how going sly can affect others around or close to us. I'm sure for some mothers it must make them think about thereselves, suddenly they have a son who is loosing his hair, how old must that make them feel!! So I do think we need to consider the views of others but obviously if they really love you then they will accept your choice even if they aren't too keen.

I'm sure it must be an uneasy position for you at the moment but I'm guessing once the old lady is used to it and realises that you are just the same as before (just a bit lighter up top!) she'll drop her hostility!

Offline Surly Seabear

• Learning the way of Sly
  • Driven to make others laugh...
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2013, 05:49:48 AM »
My mom hates it.. :Xo!.but then she is a 82 year old guilt and fear monger...Doesn't mater the look, she hates it if it isn't a clean 1940s/50s.  When I had a Fro she hated it and said I looked Jewish(which we are) when I grew my gotee I suddenly looked Mexican (ok, and that is bad because?) when I grew a ponytail I looked like a dirty hippie(hey, I bathe)...point is mom has hated everything I have ever done and is horribly racist...so I am polite, respectful, but I am myself...If my wife is cool with it, than that is all that matters.  My Mother in law is always kind and supportive. 
"Life's like a movie, write your own ending
Keep believing, keep pretending
We've done just what we set out to do.
Thanks to the lovers, the dreamers, and you."

Offline Jamieon

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2013, 08:05:46 PM »
That is what I love about opinions...They're not fact !

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2013, 03:21:25 AM »
"Friends are God's compensation for relatives."

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2013, 09:17:51 AM »

That REALLY made me laugh !!!

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2013, 12:26:18 PM »
My parents aren't fond of it, but that's fine. Just remember you're capable of making your own decisions and life is easier if you don't seek others approval.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline g_bald

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Bald IS beautiful... and it will always be so!
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2013, 01:52:08 PM »

:*))

I've never heard that before, but like a mastercard commercial, that is PRICELESS!!!!

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »
Richard Bach, the guy who wrote Jonathan Livingston Seagull, wrote several other books. From one of these, I think it was entitled "One" comes an idea that set me free from meddling family:

"The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life."

It doesn't sound to me like you're getting much respect or joy from mom. Maybe time to untie the apron strings? I read somewhere in here that if you have a healthy relationship you can talk to her about this but clearly you can't have a healthy relationship or a rational discussion with a person who would dump this kind of crap on you.
Imagine if she were a co-worker instead of your mother and she said these things to you. Would you hang out with her again? Would you trouble yourself to try to engage her in conversation?
Should mom's approach have been different because she's your mom and she loves and respects you?
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.