Author Topic: Thinking about it  (Read 6379 times)

Offline theebaldguy

• Sly Penguin
  • Super Sly
Thinking about it
« on: November 07, 2012, 07:41:42 AM »
I've been paying more attention to the forum posts regarding safety razors of late, and it has piqued my curiosity. I've never owned or used one, but remember my dad having one when I was a kid. He's been gone for almost 35 years, so I have no idea what his particular safety razor was, though it would be nice to know that, and even nicer to have his old razor to cherish.

I'm not sure I could bring myself to try shaving my head with a DE safety razor...looks pretty intimidating! How long does it take to become proficient at DE shaving? I currently use the Fusion. While I don't dislike modern cartridge razors, they don't require much skill to use, and are very expensive. I know I'm preaching to the choir here...LOL.  ;)

In reading up on subject of DE shaving, I'm seeing that many report having less irritation than what they get with a cartridge shave. My skin is fairly sensitive, and with Fusion I usually can't shave every day without irritation.

I'm finding myself drawn to the classic, simple design of a safety razor. I want to learn more.  8)

Just say no to rugs!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Thinking about it
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 10:29:42 AM »
I've been paying more attention to the forum posts regarding safety razors of late, and it has piqued my curiosity. I've never owned or used one, but remember my dad having one when I was a kid. He's been gone for almost 35 years, so I have no idea what his particular safety razor was, though it would be nice to know that, and even nicer to have his old razor to cherish.

I'm not sure I could bring myself to try shaving my head with a DE safety razor...looks pretty intimidating! How long does it take to become proficient at DE shaving? I currently use the Fusion. While I don't dislike modern cartridge razors, they don't require much skill to use, and are very expensive. I know I'm preaching to the choir here...LOL.  ;)

In reading up on subject of DE shaving, I'm seeing that many report having less irritation than what they get with a cartridge shave. My skin is fairly sensitive, and with Fusion I usually can't shave every day without irritation.

I'm finding myself drawn to the classic, simple design of a safety razor. I want to learn more.  8)
If you are thinking about it... than you should definitely get off that fence and begin your safety razor journey with a DE razor.  Is it intimidating?  No. 

As a former fan of the cartridge razors (Fusion, Hydro5, and Magnum5)... there is nothing better and more fun than shaving with a DE razor.  I get better and smoother face and dome shaves.

If you are starting off... I would suggest to face shave first.  It only took me about a week to get comfortable.  However... when I first took the plunge in the DE world... I went for it.  Meaning, I DE shaved both my face and dome.  My dome shaves took me about a month or two to get comfortable.  As always... YMMV (your mileage my vary)... you might learn quicker or later.

Again... if you are thinking about it... I say go for it.  If you have any questions please PM me or just post up a question and the other sly members and myself will be glad to help you out.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 10:34:30 AM »
Here is Mantic59's link:  He is like the cool uncle of the safety razor world.  He has some great youtube videos on the traditional way of shaving.  I learned a lot from his videos.  Also... google... Geofatboy.  He also has some good shaving videos.

http://sharpologist.com/shaving-videos

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 10:36:45 AM »
Check out www.badgerandblade.com.  I am a member of this forum that is dedicated to the traditional way of shaving.  I learned a lot from this fine forum.  They have many quality members like SBGs.

WARHAWK O0

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 01:27:11 PM »
Check out www.badgerandblade.com.  I am a member of this forum that is dedicated to the traditional way of shaving.  I learned a lot from this fine forum.  They have many quality members like SBGs.

WARHAWK O0

I agree with Warhawk, B&B is a cool site to learn about DE shaving.

Double Edge shaving is one of the best journeys I ever embarked on.  I highly recommend that you give it a try.  It is easy once you get the knack of it and most certainly gives you the smoothest, closest, irritation free shave you will get, if done correctly.  There is also such an awesome "Old school" feel to DE and "Wet" shaving.
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline theebaldguy

• Sly Penguin
  • Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 06:03:04 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for the encouragement! I just pulled the trigger and ordered an Edwin Jagger DE89L. Does it come with a blade or two to get you started? I didn't order any blades, figuring I'd just scope out the local options like Walmart or Rite Aid, etc. Same thing for shaving soap and/or creams. I already have a cheap brush and bowl that I bought at Rite Aid a few years ago. I'll get something nicer when I can afford it.

I have never been a user of after shave products, but I have to say that the Osage Rub that Warhawk seems to favor looks very interesting.

I'm looking forward to trying out DE shaving!  O:O
Just say no to rugs!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 06:40:36 PM »
I have the Edwin Jagger DE89L... you are going to LOVE it. It is a BEAUTIFUL piece of craftsmanship and a great shaving tool. It will not come with blades BUT if you PM me your snail mail address I'll gladly send you some various blades to try.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 07:06:37 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for the encouragement! I just pulled the trigger and ordered an Edwin Jagger DE89L. Does it come with a blade or two to get you started? I didn't order any blades, figuring I'd just scope out the local options like Walmart or Rite Aid, etc. Same thing for shaving soap and/or creams. I already have a cheap brush and bowl that I bought at Rite Aid a few years ago. I'll get something nicer when I can afford it.

I have never been a user of after shave products, but I have to say that the Osage Rub that Warhawk seems to favor looks very interesting.

I'm looking forward to trying out DE shaving!  O:O
Congrats on purchasing the Edwin Jagger 89L (EJ89L).  You are off to a great start. O0

WARHAWK O0

theman

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 07:45:17 PM »
 ;) Enjoy , It has been a few years since I have shaved with a DE, but it has been fun and brought back some old memory's !  Wish I had my dad's old razor's .  But got close to it ! 

It's a man thing  ;) :) 8) so we might as well enjoy it and have some fun doing it with class !

Good Luck Bro..

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 11:47:07 PM »
@theebaldguy

So how has the DE journey treated you so far?  Good points, bad points, questions, thoughts?  We want to hear them all!

Offline theebaldguy

• Sly Penguin
  • Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 09:28:10 AM »
@Bluebriz

I haven't really been able to fully embrace DE shaving yet.
Just say no to rugs!

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 05:40:09 PM »
Are you having some problems with it or just don't have the time at the moment?

Offline eric79

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 07:59:07 PM »
One more good forum to look at is SRP they have a section for DE shaving as well. I have learned a lot form youtube and trying things out from the forums. You got a good razor just find the blades you like and go from there. Amazon has some good options for cheap. I got the hang of DE in about a week. It is taking me a lot longer to get use to SR shaving. I use my DE on my dome now and that didn't take long to get use to it after you get the technique on your face down. I had a lot of issues about skin bumps and ingrown hairs that I haven't had since I switched. Good luck to you and if you have any question you can PM me as well as many of the other guys on here. When you start DE shaving you will develop favorite blades and soaps and brushes the best thing I can tell you is to try what you want. You don't have to buy the most expensive things.  O0

Eric

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 07:37:56 PM »
There's a slight learning curve to DE shaving, I'm still trying to master it. I started with Astra SP blades, I'm going to try Feather blades next.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline gutsygirl

• Surviving Chronic Illness with a Smile :D
  • Sly
  • Gutsy is as Gutsy does!
    • Naturally Gutsy - surviving gastrointestinal illness with a smile!
Re: Re: Thinking about it
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 10:52:56 PM »
I ordered a DE shaver today and I am looking forward to giving it a go.  Though, as a lady, I don't have a beard to practice on first....  :/   I got a plastic Wilkinson DE Razor, black color.  I don't have various blades to try yet but thinking about getting one of those combo packs with different brands in it to start me off.
CRPSablaze.wordpress.com, NaturallyGutsy.com

Enter your email address: