Author Topic: Any ideas on what a good razor would be for me?  (Read 4312 times)

Offline Jesse_Stillwell

• Sly Guy in Training
Any ideas on what a good razor would be for me?
« on: September 22, 2012, 03:40:05 PM »
I am pretty new to shaving my head and shaving in general. I don't grow much hair on my face so I never really had to shave.

I have been using the Fusion Proglide by Gillette lately and it seems to get a close shave. The only trouble I have with it is; It's somewhat funky to hold in certain spots especially with my right hand, and I nick some spots on my head once in a while. I use Gillette series gel and shave against the grain, Rinse with cold water, and put on a little lotion.

I am not sure if I should go electric, straight, or stick with what I got. I like being able to run my hand against the grain and feel no stubble.

Also how long should blades last if you shave everyday? (BTW I have thin hair)

I am most interested in the headblade or straight razor at the moment.

What do you guys think?

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
Re: Any ideas on what a good razor would be for me?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 03:43:16 PM »
Imho, if you started with that, go on with it. you will get the hang of it. Changes are welcome,  but one at a time, so if you make a mistake, you know what was that.
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 04:23:24 PM »
HB is the way to go mate, the ATX that has just come out. Get yourself some HeadShed, HeadSlick and ClearHead. If you want that perfect shine, get yourself some HeadLube Glossy whilst your at it and you won't go far wrong. Get a pack of the 4 & 6 blade cartridges too, so you can determine which is the best blade for you. The ClearHead is an absolute god send. If you do order through there website, make sure to click on the link on this website for your 20% off. I'd say a blade would last anywhere between 3 to 4 weeks, if cleaned properly and prepared for the next shave. For me, about 2 weeks as i have thick hair. Any questions just ask.

P.s the HeadBlade sport is awesome aswell.

Offline Jesse_Stillwell

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 04:47:56 PM »
HB is the way to go mate, the ATX that has just come out. Get yourself some HeadShed, HeadSlick and ClearHead. If you want that perfect shine, get yourself some HeadLube Glossy whilst your at it and you won't go far wrong. Get a pack of the 4 & 6 blade cartridges too, so you can determine which is the best blade for you. The ClearHead is an absolute god send. If you do order through there website, make sure to click on the link on this website for your 20% off. I'd say a blade would last anywhere between 3 to 4 weeks, if cleaned properly and prepared for the next shave. For me, about 2 weeks as i have thick hair. Any questions just ask.

P.s the HeadBlade sport is awesome aswell.

Thanks a bunch Mark. A lot of good info there. I will try out the headblade and their other stuff as well. That was the only thing I was worried about is how long the blades last.

Have you ever tried an electric shaver on your head?

Thanks again for all the info.

Offline medpsy82

• Sly Jr.
ue
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 05:53:46 PM »
Blade life can vary by person, mine last me about 2 or 3 weeks on average when shaving every other day or so. One thing to look for when changing a blade is if it is tugging more than normals or scraping the skin harsh. One thing to remember is that shaving, no matter if head or face, is about technique. If the technique isn't there then no blade or razor is going to be good. Technique comes with practice and no fear it will come.

I use the Sheik Hydro 5 now for my head and did use different Gillette razors in the past, I just like the closeness and feel of the Sheik better. Never used the HB razor before so I can't offer anything on that, but I have heard that many types of blades do fit the HB handle. Also remember to use a light touch when shaving, too much pressure can be devastating. The trick is reduction not removal, removal leads to cuts and irritation.

Remember, No Worries.
[img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/120919/samp3c41427fc0c77b87.jpg[/img]    ~No Worries~

Offline antoniom

• Sly
Re: ue
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 08:06:54 PM »
Blade life can vary by person, mine last me about 2 or 3 weeks on average when shaving every other day or so. One thing to look for when changing a blade is if it is tugging more than normals or scraping the skin harsh. One thing to remember is that shaving, no matter if head or face, is about technique. If the technique isn't there then no blade or razor is going to be good. Technique comes with practice and no fear it will come.

I use the Sheik Hydro 5 now for my head and did use different Gillette razors in the past, I just like the closeness and feel of the Sheik better. Never used the HB razor before so I can't offer anything on that, but I have heard that many types of blades do fit the HB handle. Also remember to use a light touch when shaving, too much pressure can be devastating. The trick is reduction not removal, removal leads to cuts and irritation.

Remember, No Worries.
`what part of nc are you in? also i've used schick to and loves their blades when you feel your blade gel dull or not cut as good as it should or the lubricating strip begin to wear down replace the blade or you could try extending the life of your blade stick with what is working for you

Offline Jesse_Stillwell

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: ue
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 12:08:46 PM »

Remember, No Worries.

Great post, most appreciated. I tend to put a little pressure on my blade while shaving, I will try not to. I haven't noticed any irritation from it. Thanks again for a great post

Slynito

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 12:15:35 PM »
Most of those multi-bladed razors are kind to the scalp. Many use the Fusion when beginning. Many like the head blade and have great success. I'm using a double edge now. I found the Panasonic is the best electric for me and use it often...find your favorite and cling to it.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 12:27:18 PM »
Probably the best razor to start with would be either a Gillette Fusion Proglide or Mach III. Either will give you a great shave without nicks or irritation. In fact, it's pretty darn hard to cut yourself with a Proglide.
If it's cost you're concerned with, the Mach III will suit you. Let us know how you do.

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 12:55:33 PM »
I'm a HB fanatic but I would like to try the Gillette fusion proglide. Do a lot of people recommend it?

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 01:10:22 PM »
HB is a learning curve--one I didn't think the result was sufficient to warrant the pursuit of the skill.  A straight razor--never in my own hands and I can't afford a barber with the skill everyday! ;D
My experience, for what it's worth, is the Fusion is a good tool, reliable and gave me very few minor knicks, close--but a little pricey.  I loved the M5 for its shave and price, but then they went and became hard to find locally.  But now I'm really happy with the Schick Hydro 5, pricey, but long lasting.  Like you what hair I have on my head is fine and so blades last a long time.  I don't shave below the ears so I don't know what that would do to the life expectancy of the blades.  I use Headslick and really like it, a little goes a long way with a brush.  I can recommend the SH5 highly.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 01:17:32 PM »
I'm a HB fanatic but I would like to try the Gillette fusion proglide. Do a lot of people recommend it?

I would suggest you give it a go, if money allows. You won't be disappointed in the shave.

As saintc suggests above, maybe give some thought on the Schick Hydro 5. I use it as well, and get a good shave, but need a few more passes for some reason. It will cost a bit less than the Proglide, especially for refill cartridges.

Offline Mike_412

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 01:31:51 PM »
I'll echo the comments on the Gillette ProGlide.  It's an absolutely fantastic razor.  The only drawback is the cost.  However, I can easily use a blade on my head for 10-14 days so the average cost per week isn't that bad imo.  It's worth it.  Closest shave I've gotten and never any irritation.  Longest lasting shave for me as well.  Best part about it for me is I only need a pass or 2 to do the job.  Other razors I sometimes need to make 3 or 4 passes to get the job done.

The Schick Hydro 5 is also a pretty good razor if you want something at a lower cost.  I went through a phase where I liked it better than the Gillette, but I think that was the product of a honeymoon phase I seem to fall into when I try a new razor.  Still a good alternative if price is an issue.

The one thing I would add for either razor is to stick with the manual version as opposed to the power.  I never noticed a difference between the manual and power Gillette.  This will save you money as the manual cartridges are slightly cheaper than the power ones.  The Hydro 5's use the same cartridges for either the manual or power, but the power handle is naturally more expensive than the manual version.

Good luck and happy shaving.

Offline Jesse_Stillwell

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 02:29:36 PM »
Thank you all for the helpful posts. I am gonna try out the headblade sport here soon along with the HBheadcare products. (atx got too many bad reviews for me to try it right now) I think I will stick with the fusion proglide for the time being until I get the sport.

At walmart you can get a fusion proglide manual (here in CO) for 9.47 comes with handle and two blades. Sounds like a half decent deal to me. (I couldn't believe how expensive the replacement blades can get.)

Again thank you all for the valuable advice.

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 02:49:24 PM »

I would suggest you give it a go, if money allows. You won't be disappointed in the shave.

As saintc suggests above, maybe give some thought on the Schick Hydro 5. I use it as well, and get a good shave, but need a few more passes for some reason. It will cost a bit less than the Proglide, especially for refill cartridges.

Just had a look now and it's pricey, more than I would like to spend if I'm honest. The razor seems to be going for £15 ($25) and a pack of 10 cartridges will set me back £28 ($45). I guess it all depends on how long a cartridge would last and then work it out like that, seems a bit expensive though.