Author Topic: short buzz to no guard...  (Read 9470 times)

Offline AJB1015

• Sly Jr.
  • Somewhere in between BBC and BBG (bald by genes)
short buzz to no guard...
« on: March 30, 2012, 08:42:48 PM »
Howdy everyone. I just buzzed my hair with a 2.5 clipper guard and dig the look for the most part. I was wondering, based on people's personal experience, if the change from a 2 or 3 buzz is a huge leap to no guard. Did anyone find it to be a great change? Or the opposite perhaps? I suppose with such short hair the look can't be TOO different but am wondering your guys' input on this. thanks

Offline BaldHDbiker

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: short buzz to no guard...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 10:12:29 PM »
It is a big jump. The no guard feels and looks much better.  8)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 10:14:04 PM by BaldHDbiker »

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 03:09:06 AM »
hello.
imho, it is a significant change.
The only thing that is hard to spot is no guard -) shaved
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 03:29:06 AM »
I'll have to agree with the guys here, going from 2 or 3 guard to no guard is a big change.  It feels like velvet (no guard). It looks very nice, too, but not as nice as sly. 

If you don't want to make the change suddenly, just change your guard setting every 4 days or so. Clip your hair every day at the same length (good practice for shaving daily). Then every 4th day take it down a notch. My clippers have a variable adjustment for inbetween settings.  So do 2.5 for 4 days, then 2.2, then 2.0, then 1.8 etc.  Or whatever intermediate adjustment you have.  You'll move gradually to the shorter length. No on will notice the gradual change ... until one day, they will say "Oh, you shaved your head! Looks great."

seahawk guy

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 03:50:33 AM »
Yeah, it's a fairly big jump. But I say "give it a go". If you're not happy with the result it'll soon grow back again.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 05:42:16 AM »
It is a noticeable difference.

Offline balddaniel

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 11:51:14 AM »
A few years ago I was buzzing my head and the guard popped off and I made a pass with no guard at first I was like of crap.  After the initial shock I just buzzed with not guard, I had no choice.  Eventually I started buzzing with a beard trimmer to get it really short.  Have been shaving daily now for more than 7 years and  I love it  :@`  Take the blunge and go all the way.

Bald is Bold

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 12:06:31 PM »
It was about two years ago. I was clippering my hair to a #2 just prior to a trip to Orlando to give presentations in a workshop.  I'd be up front.

The clippers got full of hair, so I took of the guard to clean the clippers.  Forgot (legitimately) to put the guard back on and gave one more swipe over the front and center of my head for a final check ... Oops!  Ok. So I buzzed my head with no guard. Took it all down.  That was my first experience with a buzzed, no guard, head.  Perhaps that was the initial event that lead to today's sly head.  I do prefer bald to buzzed. it does not look that much different, but it feels different.

Offline Cropduster84

• Sly Jr.
  • Bald...by choice
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 09:37:03 AM »
I always buzz with no guard...I'm slowly working my way to sly...

I would definitely work your way down, it feels natural to go from #4 to 2# to 1# to no guard...

Next stop sly...