Author Topic: Reiki  (Read 2733 times)

Offline thebbqguy

• Sly
    • Get Your Prep On
Reiki
« on: January 28, 2012, 08:04:09 PM »
Does anyone here have personal experience with Reiki? 

I've read a little about it, but I don't quite understand it.

Does it actually work in a physical sense or are the effects more spiritual and mental?

TheBBQGuy

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Reiki
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 07:28:53 AM »
I used to do Greyhound Rescue and there was a woman involved that did Reiki with dogs. Personally..... I thought it was a bunch of mumbo-jumbo.

I'm a spiritual guy but I believe there was only one guy in history that could heal by touch..... and He's been dead for a couple thousand years.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 08:08:43 AM »
I used to do Greyhound Rescue and there was a woman involved that did Reiki with dogs. Personally..... I thought it was a bunch of mumbo-jumbo.

I'm a spiritual guy but I believe there was only one guy in history that could heal by touch..... and He's been dead for a couple thousand years.

Yet, He lives!  He did not use Reiki to heal. He just spoke the words or touched someone and they were healed.  And in some situations, still heals that way today.  We don't see a lot of this in the USA, but our missionary friends in developing countries see this pretty frequently.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 12:53:48 PM »

Yet, He lives!  He did not use Reiki to heal. He just spoke the words or touched someone and they were healed.  And in some situations, still heals that way today.  We don't see a lot of this in the USA, but our missionary friends in developing countries see this pretty frequently.

Agreed Mr. Z! I meant dead in the physical sense....those that are spiritual know that He truly lives.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Ravenangel

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 04:23:59 PM »
Does anyone here have personal experience with Reiki? 

I've read a little about it, but I don't quite understand it.

Does it actually work in a physical sense or are the effects more spiritual and mental?

Well, you mentioned a very sensitive topic. I try my best to write an answer which makes some sense, but in the meantime, I do not intend to hurt anyone's personal beliefs, religion or anything else.

I have personal experiences, but they show something else than that you can hear from the "Reiki Masters."

A few years ago, I was really into many kinds of New Age and spiritual thingies, Reiki included. Since then, I have understood: okay, there are things which do work, no matter if you believe in them or not... but this does not mean that one should believe everything that can be read on "spiritual" things.

In my experience, the so-called Reiki thing is nothing special or mystical.
It indeed can happen: if you are open enough (psychically meant), then you can "load up" others with energy, or help them easing some pains, but... that's all. Sometimes when I am in an extremely positive state of mind, I can feel some warmth in my hands, but this is neither mystical nor oh-so-spiritual.

You see, my reasons for becoming sceptic about Reiki was the behaviour of certain "Reiki masters". (I will not mention names.) They said many beautiful and idealistic things about spirituality, healing and universal love, but their attitude was rather different from that. Even if they preached that practising Reiki will lead you to a more open, spiritual and loving state of mind... some of them showed a big amount of bigotry, and these "initiation degrees" and "spiritual symbols" caused many unhealthy "competiting" behaviour in the communities. Not to mention what a bombastic business it was for them... this attitude, in my opinion, is very far from the true spirituality and healing they always spoke about.

So, you asked a very good question.
The thing may work to a certain level, but it is better not to take it too seriously. For most of us, it is very simple: if you are in a honestly good mental state, you become physically healthier, and therefore you will have a more positive atmosphere around you, and touching someone will make them feel better. That' s it. Nothing magical or special.

I would rather not start to discuss the question of prophets and saints, because that is very different from training consciously and intentionally to become, well, "spiritually more developed".

I honestly hope I managed to not write anything that would hurt anyone's feelings.

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 02:31:47 AM »
I know several Reiki masters , and stand on the fnce on it , it does have its place , i am not sure that it is compatible with my own Buddhist teachings .

Offline Dean

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 09:12:08 PM »
I am a Reiki Master of the Tibetan Lineage. In order to receive a healing you have to accept it other wise known as you have to be open to it and believe it will happen, otherwise you will be closed off to it and block what is intended. There are many "reiki masters" that have made a business out of it, and others that have the biggest dang ego you have seen..

That is all i will say as I am not sure how open this forum is yet.

Offline JD Wildheart

• Sly Guy in Training
  • You rock your look, Never let your look rock you
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 12:13:32 PM »
Raven I completely agree with you through personal experiences with people, now I myself am spiritual but mine is focused mainly on personal growth and learning through experience (and boy did it take me a loooong time to learn a few lessons haha)

Obviously everybody walks their own path but I digress. I shan't name it but there's a particular way of life that can and should be inherently positive and affirming as an idiology, however "almost" every person i've come into contact with on my journey who practices or wears that particular hat were just incredibly nasty and contradictory to the beliefs they'll so publicly spout.

as for Reiki (back on topic now lol) it can certainly have it's uses and as a chronic arthritis sufferer i've tried all sorts over the years to allieviate pain. But like everything, it's about who posesses the knowledge and their own characteristics as to how it's used/flaunted some help for the sake of helping,others want the pat on the head and the biscuit for validation it varies individual to individual.
"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Dr-photo

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 01:38:43 PM »
I've only come across it through a friend who having just started( about 15 years ago) helped us with a particularly weak herb we had. And it worked! I am not one who normally believes any of this kind of thing, but I was dumbfounded. He's still practicing/ teaching etc As a living now, and I still don't know how I feel about it. I'm pretty straight forward, I believe in positive thought and action, but classical religion  is so messed up with politics and wealth I don't give it the time of day. Buddhism to me is more a way of life than a religion and I agree with most of its principles from what I understand. Hope I haven't upset any one too much
only dead fish go with the flow