Author Topic: Motorcycles I am thinking of getting one  (Read 19602 times)

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
Re: Motorcycles I am thinking of getting one
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2008, 01:47:35 PM »
My normal response to guys who say sportsters are chick bikes...
"just because I'm fat and sluggish doesn't mean my bike has to be."

This in itself should tell you why I ride a sporty. It's my bike of choice.

I could have opted for a softtail for about the same price, but I love my sporty...

As for size - I'm 5'11" and weigh 285lbs. I'm a big dude, but my bike fits me just fine!

Here's a group of 20,000 plus sportster riders who can give you MULTIPLE reasons why sportsters are the most versitile bikes for the money.
http://xlforum.net/vbportal

I hope I am not being confused as saying the "sportsters are a chick bike" statement, I dont feel that way.. I was referring to a very egotistical side of the HD community

I prefer them myself and have considered a sporty to be my next project, but if I was doing long haul vacation rides w/ a wife I would opt for something a bit larger and more of a comfort ride.
“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline yak

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2008, 03:07:34 PM »
Paul thanks for the info.  That was my biggest concern with the sporty...not so much the engine size as I think 1200 would be perfect but more for the long hauls.  The ACE gets tossed around enough on windy days I've been riding it for about 5 years now.  I want the next bike to be something that I am comfortable riding back up to Chicago or going on longer trips with.  The Road King is out of the budget, I'm looking at spending just under 10K if I can. 

Baldbiker do you travel around town or do you go on long hauls with the sporty? If so how does it handle on the open road?  I'll check out your link...

Thanks for the info guys!

Offline baldbiker

• Sly
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2008, 06:29:35 AM »
My normal response to guys who say sportsters are chick bikes...
"just because I'm fat and sluggish doesn't mean my bike has to be."

This in itself should tell you why I ride a sporty. It's my bike of choice.

I could have opted for a softtail for about the same price, but I love my sporty...

As for size - I'm 5'11" and weigh 285lbs. I'm a big dude, but my bike fits me just fine!

Here's a group of 20,000 plus sportster riders who can give you MULTIPLE reasons why sportsters are the most versitile bikes for the money.
http://xlforum.net/vbportal

I hope I am not being confused as saying the "sportsters are a chick bike" statement, I dont feel that way.. I was referring to a very egotistical side of the HD community

LOL - no, I knew you didn't mean it directed towards me!

I was just stating what my response was to THOSE that have that mentality  :*))

I spend most of my time cruising the hills by where I live, and don't normally ride more than 15-20 hours a week (which is actually quite a bit if you think about it.) but it's not all done at once.

When I go on the open road I pay for it.... or should I say my a$$ pays for it... It's an uncomfortable bike when riden for more than 3-4 hours at once.

I have a "mustang wideback solo" seat on order now and have heard that it remedies the problem... so, if a couple hundred bones fixes the problem I down!

Theres an electriglide in the newspaper in my town for a good price - and I'm eyeballin it like crazy for a "trip" bike.

As for size - go to the HD dealer and ask them to test drive them - you will probably not know if you like the size until you ride it...
It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

www.myspace.com/hascoline

Offline Tagus

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2008, 02:25:48 PM »
I´m still deciding if i take my motorcycle driver license or not.

I´m a bit affraid of riding a motorcycle due to the car drivers lack of vision when it comes to motards.

I would love someday to drive a Suzuki GSXR600, they are beautifull or an Harley.

I just keep thinking that even if i protect myself with a suit, boots, spinal-cord protection etc that if i have an accident i wont avoid being paraplegic or something.

I keep thinking about the bad things that can happen and always back-off from taking the driver license.

What advise do you recommend to lose this fear?

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2008, 12:01:25 AM »
Fabio, I say definitely go get your license. But make sure you also take the safety course for beginning riders, it's a must.
It will help you get familiar with the difference of being on two wheels rather than four.

There's physics involved with a bike that lots of people don't realize.
These classes teach you what you may come up against out there on the road and how to be prepared to deal with it. Also how to gain a mindset of thinking ahead and having a plan if an escape is needed.

Riding is such a great feeling, nothing like being out there on the road.
I say go for it, but remember- safety first.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Offline yak

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2008, 06:49:36 AM »
I agree xnewyawka...The safety classes are a great place to start.  I know in IL if you pass the safety class you can get your license without taking the exam at the DMV. 

I've taken the begining course and the advanced rider courses they are very good. 

Fabio- if you are like me you will find that you drive/ride completely different.  I take extra time on the bike, I typically ride slower than I drive and pay attention to everything.  Most instances are avoidable if you are prepared, but you have to be prepared, consantly watching. 
It took me a month being in Memphis before I was comfortable with the traffic and the rodes until I started going on real rides ( more than just down the street or something)

Motorcycles are faster, more agile and easier to get out of close calls.  There is a beauty about riding that is a great experience.

Offline BlackJamesRackham

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2008, 12:45:42 PM »
I've always wanted to get one...but I dunno...I just hate the thought of know that I would be sharing the road with some of the knuckleheads who drive cars. But I feel like I want to get one just to try it out. I would def. go with a sport bike, which I feel like would suit me more.
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Offline baldbiker

• Sly
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2008, 04:10:11 PM »
I've always wanted to get one...but I dunno...I just hate the thought of know that I would be sharing the road with some of the knuckleheads who drive cars. But I feel like I want to get one just to try it out. I would def. go with a sport bike, which I feel like would suit me more.

You won't have to worry about the knuckleheads... it's the soccer moms you have to keep an eye out for!!!!

When your not in a cage (car, truck, van, or anything else surrounded by glass and metal) you get a better sense of what is going on around you. Just keep in mind that NOBODY ever see's you - it's you seeing them that will save your life on a bike.

Kudos to those who said take the RSC - once you've taken a course you will feel MUCH more comfrotable on a bike!
It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

www.myspace.com/hascoline

Offline yak

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2008, 06:30:58 AM »
baldbiker is right, watch out for the soccer moms.  Yesterday on the way to work while approaching a stop sign the mom in the mini van in front of me just switched lanes,  I was paying attention so I just shifted to her old lane and pulled up beside her and let my vance and hines to the talking while I staired at her ....it was fun I think she was scared...

I ride every day to work, been riding for about 7 years now had a couple close calls but I was always able to avoid them because I was paying attention and had escape routes planned.  You have to know go left or right. 

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2008, 01:17:51 PM »
I think one of the biggest mistakes inexperienceed bike riders make is thinking that the brake is their best friend in dangerous situations. The opposite is really true. Don't be afraid to accelerate thru/away from problems. This is where having a big enough bike with some OOMPH is important. I've owned four bikes over the years and I've ridden many more. Most bikes have enough zip when you get on the throttle to get you out of tight spots.

When I was a pretty inexperienced rider in my mid teens (30 years ago) I asked an old timer how I was doing riding. His short terse response.... "Too much brake Man.... Accelerate thru problems".
With over 30 years of riding under my belt I've found this to often be true.......

And by the way... there's nothing else like a Softtail......
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2008, 02:19:34 PM »

NOW THAT'S WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR!!   I have spent the last three weeks looking for the one I want.  Now I will spend the next three weeks figuring out how I can afford it.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2008, 02:27:51 PM »

You still talking about bikes? :*))
“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2008, 03:37:21 PM »

You still talking about bikes? :*))

Of course he's talkijng about bikes!!!! If he was talking about a woman he would like a nice firm tail.... :*))
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Tagus

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2008, 05:52:52 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys.

I keep hearing from my mates how fun it is to drive his motorcycle to the beach at night to drink a beer.

Just grab the bike and off he goes, so yeah i think sometimes to feel the pleasures of life we have to take some risks or else we better stay at home.

Offline Marz

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2008, 06:08:45 PM »
Life is for livin' man... if you ain't out there soakin it all up, your really just waiting to die.