Author Topic: Motorcycles I am thinking of getting one  (Read 19749 times)

Offline whitetoast

• Sly Jr.
  • Big & Bald & SLY
    • What I do?
Re: Motorcycles I am thinking of getting one
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2007, 06:45:22 PM »
I never rode a lick but one day I just decided to get my permit (written exam here in Massachusetts) passed with flying colors. took the safety course and said if I like being on the bike Iw ill get one, if not I am out the cost of the class and one weekend of my time. It was the best thing I could have ever done as far as biking goes. Here, if you pass the class, you get your license, no exam at the RMV/DMV. you get a certificate to send in and they re-issue your license with the motorcyle designation on it.

The class just teaches you everything you need to know. I am looking to take the advanced rider course in the Spring as my bike is probably up for the winter now. I have a 2002 Kawasaki Drifter 1500 AND I LOVE IT!! It is a tribute to the old Indian chiefs with the big fenders and slick styling!

GOOD LUCK!

-toast
http://www.nfsnet.com
http://www.whitetoast.us
[img width= height=]http://www.whitetoast.us/images/plate.jpg[/img]

Offline GaugedFreak

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 07:41:10 AM »
Check out a VStrom 650 or 1000 (not a beginner bike). I have a 650 and it's great. Excellent commuter gets over 50MPG without the side bags. I've added a Givi tall Windscreen (not pictured) and Givi bags all the way around it. It's peppy, since it has the same engine as the SV650, just a different tune for more midrange power. The 650 would be well suited for beginners though. Not overly effected by wind blast like those smaller 250s are. The Vstrom does sit a bit high though. However since you have dirt biking experience this probably wont bother you unless you are pretty short. Definitely go for the rider course! It's a very valuable tool.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 07:52:23 AM by GaugedFreak »

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 04:39:56 PM »
VStroms are great!  My father and his friends all have them for when they do tour rides.  He also has a 650, but it's blue.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Uncle Fester

• Fester says...
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 06:23:58 PM »
Fester has been riding motorcycles for over twenty years.  Right now, I'm riding a Honda Valkyrie, which is a pretty big bike.  I read VFR's post...lots of great advice in there.  You should read it a couple of times, really.
When I'm dead and gone, no one will give a rat's ass about what kind of car I drove or what kind of house I lived in.  All that will matter is that I positively impacted the life of a child.

rickybobby

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 09:28:17 PM »
Started thinking of getting a cycle. Made mistake of telling my guy at work that i wanted a harley.I dont like speed necessarily just want to chill and cruise slowly. Thinking about a sportster w/ minimal upgrades(windshield, rear seat fo my bitches...lol)Now everyday my guy at work wants to go 2 harley store rite across work parking lot.....i want to but no real$$$ for it....

DAT Boy

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2008, 12:02:57 AM »
Ricky, there is also a hugh used Harley market out there.  One of the nice things about H-Ds is that lots of people will work on them, if you need someone else to do the work, and there are lots of places to buy after market parts.   O0
In my area, if you have a metric bike that is over 10 years old, none of the local repair shops want to touch it.  They say that they will fix one thing and two things might break.  Also, there are so many new bikes to fix, they don't need the business of the older bikes. 
Another thing to consider is parts support and after market goodies aren't as plentiful for metric bikes as for H-Ds. :-\
Right now I'm working a deal on a 1990 Heritage Softail, which is very affordable compared to the new bikes ($$$$!) C#)P
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 12:05:03 AM by DAT Boy »

rickybobby

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 10:52:10 PM »
because i respect hogs too much and rite now i dont have a garage or a proper storage area for it...ill just dream and hope!!!!

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 11:23:34 PM »
I love my Yamaha V-Star.

DAT Boy

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2008, 04:10:33 AM »
Yeah, and I like the Harley I just got :)

And because I want to pamper my bike, I'm having a Tuff Shed put in next to my house as a motorcycle garage.  ;)

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2008, 05:13:15 AM »
I love both Japanese bikes and Harleys and have owned both. One thing to keep in mind..... Harley's really do have a certain aura and mystique that comes with them.
When I used to go out in my truck I was just regular old Mike but when i rode my Harley somewhere I was magically transformed into Russell Crowe in women's eyes. Women love Harley's and Harley guys.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2008, 07:35:14 AM »
Looking at trading in my Sportster for a Softtail Deluxe this year.  Anybody heard or had first hand experience of negatives with that model?
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2008, 10:55:09 AM »
Paul, as an avid Harley-Davidson fan, I highly recommend making the step up to the Softail family.
I have not heard any complaints and they have gotten great reviews. There are also a few new models you may be interested in too.
There's a new "bobber" they have now that harkens back to the 40's- 50's style bikes. They would chop off the back fender and just sort of keep em' pretty basic, that was customizing back then. Simpler times. I am a big fan of the older style bikes, (circa '67 -'73 Duo-Glide).
It's a nice looking bike though, and would be a good step up from your Sporty.

Keep me posted on how it goes, as I am currently not riding and am fiending badly, lol.  :(
you can pm if need to.

Joe

rickybobby

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2008, 09:27:42 PM »
u guys suck...make me really wanna take the plunge....ok there's a new fund i'm starting...Rich's Ride A Hog Fund...msg. me for the address u guys can send me money....rich really needs a hog...his hair is gone and only riding a harley will make it rite...yeah that's it!!!!!

DAT Boy

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2008, 10:09:51 PM »
Ricky, I got a Harley for a few reasons:  they're American, they're fun, and you can always find someone who will work on them as well as the parts/support system to keep them running.   C#)P

My last metric bike was a '79 Yamaha.  It was a good bike, and I got it for next to nothing, but I didn't have the time or talent to keep it running and the local bike shops won't repair a metric over 10 years old, because: "if we fix one thing, two more will break" (lame), they have enough newer bikes to fix and don't need the business (some truth), if you buy a 12 year old metric for a grand and take it in for a major tune up you may spend more on repairs than what you paid for the bike (another partial truth). B@n%
So, save your cash, do some research on what will work for you, and find a deal on some classic, older American metal that will give you years of fun (or grief) depending you your outlook.  Like slyness, you have to take the plunge and stay faithful to your dreams and desires.

rickybobby

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2008, 09:17:39 PM »
whats a metric bike????