Author Topic: Motorcycles I am thinking of getting one  (Read 19761 times)

Offline Dtopford

• Sly
  • after the shave
Motorcycles I am thinking of getting one
« on: April 17, 2007, 04:11:56 PM »
Hey all do any of you ride bikes as your primary transportation?

I used to ride dirt bikes back when they all had 2 shocks in the back LOL and I am thinking of getting a street bike to fight the gas pumps with.

Now back in the day I was a fairly accomplished rider on the dirt however it has been a long time since I have ridden.

So do any of you have any suggestions for me on how to get started?

PS riding in SOCAL SanDiego area kinda scares me because of the numerous idiots out here, but I know I would be riding in a less populated area a long time ago if I lived there.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Motorcycles I am thinking of getting one
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 07:35:36 PM »
Hey Dtop, as you know from your dirtbike days its a matter of personal preference.  WHat I HAVE found between my Suzuki dirt and my American street bike is that service and parts are far better on the American made models.  I had to wait over 2 months for a replacement fuel part for the Suzuki and the cost was outrageous.  Seems there are always tie ups getting the parts into port.  Mileage doesn't really differ on a lot of them.  Is this just for work and back or for longer rides.  Heavier the bike, more control, at least out here in the wind zone.  I need a bike that saddlebags can fit for carrying stuff too and from work and like the lower profile of the Harley for handling on the less urban roads I have to travel.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Dtopford

• Sly
  • after the shave
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 08:08:34 PM »
yea I want to be able to ride it daily to and from work. Also I want something that I can ride 1000 miles if I choose to do it. So I am thinking a cruiser or some type of hybrid between a cruiser and a rocket. I also want to ba able to have saddle bags for the same reason.

I am thinking of doing one of these motercycle training course for beginners just because it has been so long since I have ridden.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 08:34:43 PM »
The motorcycle course idea is great.  In Illinois they will help you get your license that way as well.  Taking the test here with a big bike was a real pain as it was done on a course and manuevering tough.  I'm not sold on the rocket for distance because position change is tough.  With a more standard road or cruiser you can put extended controls on, forward pegs with the engine guards, etc. giving you room to stretch out your legs.  Best shot, hit the dealers, try them on and see what fits you best.  One thing on the Harleys, resale value remains high
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Dtopford

• Sly
  • after the shave
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 09:30:21 PM »
unfourtunatly so is the sticker I like harleys they suit my personality I think, but they also cost quite a bit.

Offline VFRWolf

• Sly VFR Rider
  • Super Sly
    • My off roading page
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 06:37:13 AM »
Dtopford, take the motorcycle safety course, you won't regret it.  IMO, first bike, go with used, something similar to what they use in the class.  250 Rebel, light weight, easy to ride, until you get more experience.  I've seen many new riders want larger and bigger, wind up hurt or worse.  Get some experience before getting a larger bike.  You can pick up small bikes used fairly cheap, ride it for 6 months to a year, and get most of your money back when you upgrade to a larger bike.  I say this, my wife went through this a year ago, you will drop it, why not drop something you paid $2k for instead of something you paid $10k for.

That being said, I'm a gear nazi.  I've wrecked 3 bikes, only 1 was my fault, each time gear saved me, and I would have come out better had I more gear.  My wife wrecked her bike last year, went over the handle bars, came out of the wreck with a broken hand and wrist.  Had it not been for her jacket, gloves, boots, and helmet, it would have been a lot worse.  Invest in a good full face helmet, armored jacket, (they make nice denim and leather biker stuff with shoulder, elbow armor, doesn't have to look like Speed Racer stuff) pants and boots.  It's not if you go down, it's when.  Two types of bikers out there, those that have gone down, and those that will.  Good gear is expensive, but skin grafts are much more expensive, and more painful.

One more piece of advice in this long winded post.  (can you tell I take riding seriously?   ;D )  Bikes go where you look.  Your mind needs to be on riding, not on your work day, your family, or what happened in the news.  If your mind is wandering, and your eyes wander, it's not a good thing.  Learn to look ahead, where you want to be, look through curves, I constantly talk to myself while riding to keep my mind focused, especially on curvy roads. (no, I'm not a knee dragger).  Good thing is, behind a full face helmet, no one will know your crazy for talking to yourself.   O0

Brand?  I'm partial to Honda's.  If you want something reliable, they are the ticket.  Maintain them, change the oil regular, and they will last forever with very little maintenance. 
Rob
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/071117/sampa714ba256de1d637.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 07:18:25 AM »
yea I want to be able to ride it daily to and from work. Also I want something that I can ride 1000 miles if I choose to do it. So I am thinking a cruiser or some type of hybrid between a cruiser and a rocket. I also want to ba able to have saddle bags for the same reason.

I am thinking of doing one of these motercycle training course for beginners just because it has been so long since I have ridden.

The course is a great idea, like everyone else said. VFR also hit it on the head about getting something light and easy to handle right out of the gate. Some insurance companies will also give you a discount if you've taken the course. I've had a motorcycle license since I was 13 but don't currently have anything with two wheels. (Kinda ironic I think) Trying to remedy that situation though.

Good luck in your search!
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 08:02:43 AM »

One more piece of advice in this long winded post.  (can you tell I take riding seriously?   ;D )  Bikes go where you look.  Your mind needs to be on riding, not on your work day, your family, or what happened in the news.  If your mind is wandering, and your eyes wander, it's not a good thing.  Learn to look ahead, where you want to be, look through curves, I constantly talk to myself while riding to keep my mind focused, especially on curvy roads. (no, I'm not a knee dragger).  Good thing is, behind a full face helmet, no one will know your crazy for talking to yourself.   O0

Pay attention to this one from VFR, no truer words have ever been spoken, especially in the urban setting.   Drivers today are doing every thing but paying attention to the road and we are much smaller objects out there than any other vehicle.  Riding take 110% concentration, constantly looking ahead and expecting something to happen so that you are prepared for it.  Watch for road surface problems, vehicles off on shoulders or side roads, etc.  I always assume the other guy is not paying attention and make sure I am.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 08:07:25 AM by Paul »

Offline Dtopford

• Sly
  • after the shave
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 09:09:58 AM »
I agree completely on the gear I am planning on leathers and a full face helmet. I learned that hard lesson very young with dirt bikes. LOL took about a month for the scratches and stuff to go away. (LOL that was the last time I ever rode without a helmet.) Yes I agree on the smaller bike and the course. I am moving again twards the middle of May after that I will see where mony is to get this ball rolling.

Thanks for the input guys and keep them coming.

Offline skinhead002

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 08:06:42 AM »
I'd like to get this topic going again 'cause I'm thinking about getting a bike(again after all these decades...) and want one of the big dual purpose bikes, either the Suzuki DR 650 or the Kaw KLR 650(not the 2008 since the big change).

Any insights?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 09:41:21 AM »
Hey Skinhead, are you talking about the Suzuki VStrom?  My father has one of those and really likes it.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline skinhead002

• Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 05:36:51 PM »
Not the VStrom.  The DR 650 is the more traditional dual purpose, semi-off road, semi-road bike.  I've got a buddy that really wants me to get back into it.  I use to ride off-road in the 70s(I rode Huskies and Penton/KTMs).

Offline frostillicus123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Forgot to Shave this morning
    • My Twitter Explict Language
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 05:55:56 PM »
I want a motorbike, i would love to get a harley, or a custom bike.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/071111/samp9a1d5d13c394b3da.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 10:57:53 PM »
Hey Dtop, I will echo what VFR and Paul have said and stress the point of safety.
Take the rider course, it will really help you understand how the machine works. It's much more than just shifting gears.
Invest in a good helmet, leathers, boots and gloves. It's worth it now, and much more to pay later if you should go down unprotected.
I advise full face, and some sort of armor or kevlar in your jacket.

I just moved to the west (AZ), from New York and I thought driving was tough there, well it's a whole new ballgame here. People just do whatever they want out here, It seems signaling is too much for them, it may interfere with their phone call.
And there is no helmet law, either. I shudder to think is all I can say.

I had a full face helmet, and will be getting another when I get my next bike.
Good luck with your new bike and ride safe.

Joe

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 04:48:03 PM »
I'm getting my father a Harley custom as soon as I finish college, for paying my rent while I'm going to school!

Enter your email address: