Author Topic: Ted Williams - the man with the golden voice  (Read 2435 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Ted Williams - the man with the golden voice
« on: January 07, 2011, 11:42:06 AM »
Here's a very inspirational story if you haven't heard it already:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nw_SCrxA1y0?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/nw_SCrxA1y0?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
Re: Ted Williams - the man with the golden voice
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 01:10:08 PM »
This is such a great story. I wish Ted all the best!  O0

Thanks for posting this Tyler.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline texanron

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 02:27:55 PM »
I hope he takes care of his 9 kids now.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 02:45:33 PM »

My first thought when I heard that fact was that with having 9 kids and being in his 50's it makes me wonder why some of them aren't helping him. Surely some of them are old enough to at least offer some sort of housing for him.

Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure

Offline Sooner Steve

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 08:53:08 AM »
I agree it is a great story with a potential great outcome.  However, does anyone else smell a train wreck coming with this guy.  It is difficult to overcome years of addiction by being placed in the public spotlight.  I hope for the best.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts." - Coach John Wooden

[img]http://tickers.Tick

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 09:43:15 AM »
I agree it is a great story with a potential great outcome.  However, does anyone else smell a train wreck coming with this guy.  It is difficult to overcome years of addiction by being placed in the public spotlight.  I hope for the best.

I agree with Steve (nice to see you back on board!)...... this poor guy will have a tough time adjusting to any new found fame. My guess is that he's having his 15 minutes of fame and once everyone has used him for their own purposes he'll be right back where he was. I hope that's not the case.

As for the kids..... just because you father them, it doesn't mean that you're a Father.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Sooner Steve

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 09:54:54 AM »
Mikekoz:  Thanks.  It's good to be back.  Following up on your statement about this guy.  I say "Anyone can be a Father; It takes a special person to be a Dad".  There is a big difference in my book.  
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts." - Coach John Wooden

[img]http://tickers.Tick

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 03:30:06 PM »
I saw something about him going into detox now--the pressure on his psyche was too much.  Hopefully he'll gain insight and the ability to handle his new found status. 

Offline sellitman

• "Shiny"
  • Sly
  • Love My Henson Ti-22 Safety Razor!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 06:38:16 AM »
I saw something about him going into detox now--the pressure on his psyche was too much.  Hopefully he'll gain insight and the ability to handle his new found status. 

Unfortunately I asaw a story yesterday that said he left detox early. Not good.  $#*t
"There is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God’s grey Earth as that prince of foods... the muffin!"- Frank Zappa

Offline Nonick

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 10:09:28 PM »
Gee...bummer. :(  I hope he can find himself and get honest with what's important  :@`

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 07:54:25 AM »

My first thought when I heard that fact was that with having 9 kids and being in his 50's it makes me wonder why some of them aren't helping him. Surely some of them are old enough to at least offer some sort of housing for him.

I wonder if it had anything to do with him perhaps being absent from their lives while drinking/drugging in the streets. If that is the case they might feel like they are in a better place without him.
Also, I saw the Dr. Full (Phil) show where this guy was on and the Doc placed him in some luxury rehab on an island just off the coast of Texas. He was expressing resistance to being in treatment all the while that the Doc was offering him his life back. Clearly he thinks he has a ways to go before he hits bottom.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 08:14:45 AM »
I wonder if it had anything to do with him perhaps being absent from their lives while drinking/drugging in the streets. If that is the case they might feel like they are in a better place without him.
Also, I saw the Dr. Full (Phil) show where this guy was on and the Doc placed him in some luxury rehab on an island just off the coast of Texas. He was expressing resistance to being in treatment all the while that the Doc was offering him his life back. Clearly he thinks he has a ways to go before he hits bottom.

I hadn't thought about it like that. That's a good point!