Author Topic: What words shall we "Banish" this year .  (Read 6640 times)

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
Re: What words shall we "Banish" this year .
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 03:02:46 PM »
"can't"!   

Agreed, but that word needs to be used in the English language. 
But to expand on, what I think, is your thought:
"Can't never could do nothin'

Exactly!  O0

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 09:00:55 PM »
"I know right?!"
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline Nonick

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 09:02:44 PM »
irregardless

+1 for this entry. I abhor this misuse of the language. :x!

Count me in on this one!   O0

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 12:43:01 AM »
irregardless

+1 for this entry. I abhor this misuse of the language. :x!

Agreed
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Troy

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 12:25:10 PM »
"amazing"

Offline cvasara

• Super Sly
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 12:26:46 PM »
"And, Bam"

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
Ronald Reagan--40th President

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 01:08:47 PM »
Ya know, I actually enjoy learning the meanings of all this new amazing internet slang.  Throughout my journey on the interwebz I've found there's like seriously no way to document it all, lol.  Irregardless, a few sites like Urbandictionary.com have tried to do it, but they can't do it all.

It's funny how one person writes a definition, then BAM! There's like a hundred different variations of it in the next few days.  But whatever.  Just sayin.

(My bad if this is irritating to some of y'all  O0)   
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline cvasara

• Super Sly
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 04:00:01 PM »
Ya know, I actually enjoy learning the meanings of all this new amazing internet slang.  Throughout my journey on the interwebz I've found there's like seriously no way to document it all, lol.  Irregardless, a few sites like Urbandictionary.com have tried to do it, but they can't do it all.

It's funny how one person writes a definition, then BAM! There's like a hundred different variations of it in the next few days.  But whatever.  Just sayin.

(My bad if this is irritating to some of y'all  O0)   

A long, hard, first day at work for the first day back.  Thanks for a late afternoon chuckle.

At least you didn't start it with, 
"So,"
That word, to start a sentence, whether it's spoken, or written, just makes me cringe.
Ya Know ?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
Ronald Reagan--40th President

Offline b.driscoll

• Super Sly
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 06:41:41 PM »
How about''having said that''..................or ''with that being said'' and then there is conversate,is that even a word?

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 08:26:48 PM »
Can we extend this to phrases?

One thing that really peeves me is when people say "Not to be such-and-such", and then go ahead an be such-and-such. As if the prefix absolves them from what they say.

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 09:59:49 PM »
"Epic"...which sucks since before it started to be over used, I tended to use it from time to time...

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2011, 12:31:27 AM »
How about the word 'but?'  I am going to say a whole bunch of crap, and then I will add 'but' to the end and negate everything I have just said.  People don't really think what adding that word really does.

I also agree with the first word in this thread, 'like.'  My kids say that all of the time, and I always need to say something, hoping some day they will catch themselves from saying it.  Kid: 'I was taking this test that I studied hard for, and it was like really hard.'  My standard response is, 'Was it hard, or was it like hard?'  At least it helps me with my sanity.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2011, 06:59:24 AM »
I haven't posted on here for a while, but I have been keeping up with the site via RSS feeds. This thread peak my interest!

"Literally" is a word that I hear getting over used. Just now I heard someone say "I literally pulled it out of the trash." You literally did it....phew.....for a minute there I though you only figuratively did it.

It irritates me to no end! You either did or didn't do something. To add the word "literally" to a sentence it seems unnecessary, most of the time.

One thing that really peeves me is when people say "Not to be such-and-such", and then go ahead an be such-and-such. As if the prefix absolves them from what they say.

I couldn't agree more! O0
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 09:44:39 AM »
How about the word 'but?'  I am going to say a whole bunch of crap, and then I will add 'but' to the end and negate everything I have just said.  People don't really think what adding that word really does.

I also agree with the first word in this thread, 'like.'  My kids say that all of the time, and I always need to say something, hoping some day they will catch themselves from saying it.  Kid: 'I was taking this test that I studied hard for, and it was like really hard.'  My standard response is, 'Was it hard, or was it like hard?'  At least it helps me with my sanity.

As usual.... my Friend Stu hits a home run..........
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2011, 05:52:46 AM »

I agree Bear. How about this one then : "At the end of the day".