Author Topic: Court Appearance  (Read 11281 times)

Offline Jack21

• Sly
  • Panta Rhei
Court Appearance
« on: December 06, 2010, 06:45:16 AM »
I have to be in court on Friday. Its a very minor thing (I'm contesting a traffic ticket), but I was wondering what your thoughts were vis a vis my hair. There is a part of me that thinks that I should let the stubble grow out for a week to perhaps "soften" my look a tad. I've reached that point where I really have started to dislike anything longer than 5 o'clock shadow. Non issue?

A sword unto Gideon and unto God

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Court Appearance
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 06:51:11 AM »
Non issue?

You're answer.  If this is the arraignment, you'll enter a plea and they will set a trial date.  If that's done and this is the trial date you'll probably have a conference with the prosecutor before--keep it friendly, he may have already seen a problem in the file you don't know about, i.e. the attesting officer isn't in court.  The issue is the law and facts, not the personalities.  Smile a little. 

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 01:51:32 PM »
It never hurts to come across like a nice guy, with or without hair.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 01:52:14 PM »
Shave it if you dislike a shadow. Many police officers shave their heads , and the judge is not going to decide in your favor because of your hair or no hair only the facts.
GOOD LUCK!
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Neville

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 03:59:18 PM »
I guess it is true that people often, rightly or wrongly, judge people by their looks. Maybe a softer image might be an idea?

Offline Jack21

• Sly
  • Panta Rhei
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 05:31:25 PM »
This particular officer does have a shaved head. Unfortunately for me I have no evidence other than my word. I have no real hope of winning the case, but I wasn't about to just pay a fine and thereby admit guilt when I had broken no law. I'll just end paying the fine after going to court and probably being berated by the judge for wasting the court's time.

Shave it if you dislike a shadow. Many police officers shave their heads , and the judge is not going to decide in your favor because of your hair or no hair only the facts.
GOOD LUCK!

Offline Jason66

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 05:41:09 PM »
Dude, I was in a similar situation a cpl months ago and I stupidly chopped off my long goatee and actually dressed up for it. I looked better then half the attorneys in there. People there looked like $#!+.... The judge did comment to one kid in an oversized tee-shirt and pants hanging down off his a$$ "nice of you to dress for the occasion" but other then looking ridiculous, I don't thing it'll make too much of a different. Then again, I wasn't there on tickets ... So I guess, like the others said.... SMILE... but don't change your appearance for it...

Offline Jason66

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 05:46:05 PM »
Na man... they normally try to plea even when they have you dead on... So worth the trip and taking the chance... they normally will reduce it at min.. unless he had a hard-on for you... then you still walk out with what you was going to get anyway... good lucK... if he don't show up, it's even better....

Offline Jack21

• Sly
  • Panta Rhei
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 06:56:28 PM »
The guy just made a mistake. He pulled me over at 7:00 for doing 29 in a school zone that goes into effect at 7:15. He then wrote 7:15 on the citation, the exact minute the school zone law goes into effect. It wasn't even 7:10 by the time he left my car. I was going to say something to him, but then thought better of telling a cop that he was wrong. The cop made an honest mistake, but he should have let me off when he looked at his watch and realized that he had made an error. Anyway, hair or no hair I am pretty sure that I will be one of about 3 people in court with a coat and tie.

Na man... they normally try to plea even when they have you dead on... So worth the trip and taking the chance... they normally will reduce it at min.. unless he had a hard-on for you... then you still walk out with what you was going to get anyway... good lucK... if he don't show up, it's even better....

Offline Jason66

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 08:11:10 PM »
If that's the case, I would fight it. I would take/bring picture of the signs showing the time/speed. Also of the spot you was pulled over, if possible showing the signs. If you made any call right after or from your house as soon as you got there, look at bill and see what time they where made. Exp. if you have a cell call at 715, You would show the judge you called your wife to tell her about it, and it was after, & still B4 715. or if you went home and made a call (anyone made a call) from home phn at 7:30, but mapquest shows it would take 20 or so to get there (copy of mapqest) can show he was wrong.

Even if it's bull... when you start pulling out phn records it looks good.

On top of that... It was too close. I would tell the judge  ... How do you know his watch was correct. It could have been 2-3min fast even if he did pull you over at 715... Plus, he pulled you over, ran your plate, wrote you up.. and it was still 715.... He put 715 when he looked at his watch and realized it it was only 705 and it didn't start until 715.

I wln't even take a plea on this if your facts are correct. Just on the simple fact that his time could be off 1 minute... He would have been wrong... I don't know if you had any other seeders, if not, point that out.. I think you stated you was a teacher (?),,, and this was a school zone... even better... Bring all that up... Judges are people too and normally don't want to "f" with normal hard working people. BUT don't be afraid  to talk and point all that out... You Got This One..

Offline Jason66

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 08:14:54 PM »
sorry.. "speeders" not "seeders"..

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 09:46:03 AM »
If it's his word against yours you will lose. Trust me.

Offline skinhead002

• Super Sly
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 10:47:25 AM »
Ask the officer/court to provide the audio of the cop calling out on traffic with his dispatcher. That is time stamped and will show the time of the stop. Additionally, the cop may have video on board his cruiser/bike that will be time stamped as well.

I'm a cop. Sometimes we make mistakes and yes, cops do lose in traffic court. I would NEVER be a policeman without my audio and digital recorders.

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 12:19:38 PM »
This link is a little off-topic, but I figured anyone who needs some help asserting their constitutional rights during a police encounter would enjoy this:

I've gotten a warning instead of a ticket for the majority (2/3) of my speeding violations.  The things I always keep in mind when pulled over are:

1.  Have license and insurance in hand before officer approaches.
2.  Look directly in the officer's eyes.
3.  Say 'sir' or 'ma'am' after every single thing you say.  Be courteous.  As much as you want to believe it, most police aren't actively trying to ruin your day.
4.  Remain calm.  I know many people (including myself at one time) have an innate fear of police and they can smell it from a mile away.
5.  Most importantly, NEVER admit guilt.  Example:  "Do you know why I pulled you over?"  DON'T say "I guess I was speeding", say "No sir, I'm not exactly sure.  What's the problem?"
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline Jack21

• Sly
  • Panta Rhei
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 02:00:25 PM »
I don't even think half of the cruisers in this city have video. Obviously they all have audio, but I don't know whether he would even have called in a routine traffic stop. He just wanted to write up the ticket, get me to sign it, and have me out of there as soon as possible to get the next guy. I understand having  cruiser in hiding in a school zone. If it helps get people to slow down in school zones its a good thing. The thing is that he was WAY too early in starting to issue tickets that day. The citation also says that beacons were flashing and they were not. My firm belief is that (as Tom said) if its his word against mine I lose.

Ask the officer/court to provide the audio of the cop calling out on traffic with his dispatcher. That is time stamped and will show the time of the stop. Additionally, the cop may have video on board his cruiser/bike that will be time stamped as well.

I'm a cop. Sometimes we make mistakes and yes, cops do lose in traffic court. I would NEVER be a policeman without my audio and digital recorders.