Author Topic: Razor burn :(  (Read 4840 times)

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
Razor burn :(
« on: May 25, 2010, 06:00:16 PM »
I'm a total newbie at shaving my head still because I KEEP GETTING RAZOR BURN.. and im tired of it, My shaving routine typically is after I get out of the shower I wet my head with warm water. Apply edge shaving gel, go once all over my head WTG, rinse, Reapply edge, then go ATG

I noticed though I don't get the desired smoothness on just one pass ATG i have to do it a few times, I think this is causing the razor burn.

How do you guys get a super smooth shave without hacking your head up

Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Razor burn :(
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 06:10:13 PM »
Do you finish up with an astringent, then a non-oily after shave balm?  If not, you might want to do so to eliminate anything like bacteria or the like that might be causing the irritation.

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 06:15:21 PM »
Do you finish up with an astringent, then a non-oily after shave balm?  If not, you might want to do so to eliminate anything like bacteria or the like that might be causing the irritation.
I don't, I just put some moisturizer on after that kinda soothes the irritation.
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 06:31:39 PM »
Then I'd suggest an astringent after shaving, hydrogen peroxide is cheap and effective as is witch hazel.  Then a oil free after shave balm, I am partial to Nivea Extreme--very light aroma, but no oil to clog pores, finish w/ sunscreen. 

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 07:00:32 PM »
It takes a while for your skin to toughen up and get used to the blade.  Try to avoid shaving over the same area repeatedly (I know it's difficult   :)  ) while you're skin is still adjusting.

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 07:57:43 PM »
It takes a while for your skin to toughen up and get used to the blade.  Try to avoid shaving over the same area repeatedly (I know it's difficult   :)  ) while you're skin is still adjusting.

its so hard not to lol. I hate the sandpapery feeling of stubble
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
This is good advice.  It takes your skin time to adjust, just as it did when you first started shaving your face. 

Also, try running the blade at a more flat angle against your head when going ATG.  Make sure the rubber/lubricated strip is making good contact.
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline SBG Math Guy

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • me with little shadow
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 08:37:21 PM »
very simple,  get a proper shaving cream or shave gel.  I admire both Headslick and Bald Guyz shave gel.
Try one of those and see the difference.  When I started shaving my head about 22 months ago I used a cheap shaving cream and I paid the price.  That's what's happening to you right now. 

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 08:45:40 PM »
Cold water rinse is the only thing that I can add.  It helps to start closing pores.  I do exactly like you do.  Except I cold water rinse in the kitchen sink after I'm done.  And I use an aftershave balm without alcohol.  If you are on the cheap, Gillette makes an aftershave lotion that works for about 2-3 bucks.  For a little extra, I like Prairie Creations or Art of Shaving Aftershave balm.  

Offline omegapd

• Sly
  • "Fuzzy"
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 12:36:35 AM »
 If you are on the cheap, Gillette makes an aftershave lotion that works for about 2-3 bucks.   

I picked up the gel version of this today (the gel is in a blue tube and the lotion is in a white one). $2.12 at Wal Mart and it works just as well as anything else I've tried.  O0
- Eric W-

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 06:50:27 AM »
Then I'd suggest an astringent after shaving, hydrogen peroxide is cheap and effective as is witch hazel.  Then a oil free after shave balm, I am partial to Nivea Extreme--very light aroma, but no oil to clog pores, finish w/ sunscreen. 
How would you apply the Hydrogen peroxide, just with your hands? or what? I have some of that.
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 07:13:37 AM »
 If you are on the cheap, Gillette makes an aftershave lotion that works for about 2-3 bucks.   

I picked up the gel version of this today (the gel is in a blue tube and the lotion is in a white one). $2.12 at Wal Mart and it works just as well as anything else I've tried.  O0

I like the gel too, but it has alcohol in it.  Plus they smell good. 

Offline ynmaker

• Sly Jr.
  • Any idiot can take a good pic w/ a digital camera!
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 07:16:15 AM »
I have not had much of a problem with burn.  I shave once a day w/ headslick and HB and follow with cold water, witch hazel, and neutrogena razor defense. 
I met a guy over the weekend who has been shaving for 18 years.  He said he has the best luck with Fusion razor and Vaseline Intensive Care Aloe lotion as a shaving cream.  He claims the lotion makes the razor glide easier and the Fusion is very forgiving.   I asked about clogging the razor, and he said hot water rinse and tapping on the sink keeps it clear. 
I have not tried it yet.

Offline omegapd

• Sly
  • "Fuzzy"
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 11:13:58 AM »
How would you apply the Hydrogen peroxide, just with your hands? or what? I have some of that.

I'd do some reading on the effects of peroxide before using it- it's probably safe for the occasional head splash but not sure over the long haul. Plus, it'll appear to whiten or bleach your skin after a few uses. You can get Witch Hazel at any Dollar Store for less than $2. It'll be near the rubbing alcohol (and probably peroxide).
- Eric W-

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 12:53:05 PM »
Cold water rinse is the only thing that I can add.  It helps to start closing pores.  I do exactly like you do.  Except I cold water rinse in the kitchen sink after I'm done.  And I use an aftershave balm without alcohol.  If you are on the cheap, Gillette makes an aftershave lotion that works for about 2-3 bucks.  For a little extra, I like Prairie Creations or Art of Shaving Aftershave balm.  
I do a coldwater rinse after every headshave too, I don't think its a bacteria thing as much as it is a sensitive skin/ too many passes on the same spots and stuff..
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010