Author Topic: The shady shadow thread  (Read 28982 times)

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
The shady shadow thread
« on: October 03, 2006, 12:27:48 PM »
The only thing I dislike about my bald head (besides the redness issue I mentioned in a different thread) is the shadow.

Shadow...aaaahhh!

Bald people with dark skin are truly blessed in that respect - the shadow doesn't show.

But milky white fellows like myself (I'm very pale for a Greek) are - some more than others - suffering from this thing called shadow.

When I shave my head, and no matter how thoroughly I do it, no matter how much skin cells are sacrificed in the process, I always end up with a bright blueish shadow.

Here's the thing: you're contemplating to go bald (by choice) and you see these bald actors on screen - eg B. Willis - and you think "wow, that looks great! So...clear and shiny and smooth...". And then you decide (but not based on that criterium alone) to shave your head. And the first thing you realise is "hm...doesn't quite look like the clear and shiny and smooth plate I saw on Bruce Willis in that film...it's not white, it's blue!".

Well, guess what, he's using various make-up to cover the shadow - having an army of make-up artists in your trailer is a big plus. But I don't have a trailer, and I don't have my own make-up artists.
Or some other actor is completely bald and has only little hair left on the back of the head, and that doesn't produce much of a shadow when shaved off. Or he's got blond hair and that won't produce much of a shadow either.

So, the reality for me is, I have to live with the shadow.

True, when I'm old and bitter I won't have any natural hair left, so I will have that look I love in about 50 years from now.

But right now I'm young and restless, and my blood is boiling and I want that clear, smooth and shiny look right now, not when I'm in a wheelchair giving that hot nurse that tends to me my most charming toothless grin. 

Any suggestions on how to achieve that much desired look?

Who loves ya, baby?

Offline Yeti

• "Fear profits a man nothing"
  • Sly Moderator
  • Super Sly
  • Big, Bald, & Friendly... ~Yeti
    • Yeti's Realm (MySpace Page)
Re: The shady shadow thread
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 05:56:21 PM »
hehehe I must have a look to find this shadow, but my pate is so beautiful hehe like Yul Brenner(sp?) in WestWorld (minus any bullet wounds to his mechanical melon haha)
~Yeti
-------------
Tyler's Assister w/ creation of SBG & 1st Mod (now I am Elusive, but ALWAYS watching. hehe
-------------
BIG, FURRY, & BALD: Tattooes almost 300 hrs, Piercings several, Gamer; Internet 13+ yrs, Movies, Music, Drinks w/ friends, Ladies, my kids.
-------------

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 06:11:50 PM »
You're lucky, Yeti, being a Canadian Yeti (these have fair fur) - there are other Yeti species with dark fur, and they have a hard time with the shadow.

Seriously, being fair haired the shadow doesn't show in your case. If you have darker hair (like me) you usually get a blueish shadow tone, and it looks weird.
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline Yeti

• Sly Moderator
  • Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 06:18:23 PM »
 Sounds like my "black sheep" Western cousin Bigfoot....  he's dark, smelly, stupid, and gets seen on occasion. Unlike the Yeti, normally only seen by Sherpas high in the Himalayans. hehehe NOT comparing you to him, the story just reminded me hehe   ;)
~Yeti
-------------
Tyler's Assister w/ creation of SBG & 1st Mod (now I am Elusive, but ALWAYS watching. hehe
-------------
BIG, FURRY, & BALD: Tattooes almost 300 hrs, Piercings several, Gamer; Internet 13+ yrs, Movies, Music, Drinks w/ friends, Ladies, my kids.
-------------

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 06:24:55 PM »
Sounds like my "black sheep" Western cousin Bigfoot.... 

HAHA, I grew up in Bigfoot country!  You would be amazed at how many people claim to see one every year.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Yeti

• Sly Moderator
  • Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 06:27:25 PM »
I am "sadly" very aware   lmao  He is always writing home whining about "I think they saw me again, sorry!"  lmao    ::)
~Yeti
-------------
-------------
-------------

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 01:23:21 AM »
Nevermind Yeti and my tangent...

Anyone know how to help HappyHarry?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Yeti

• Sly Moderator
  • Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 01:37:37 AM »
I seriously have no clue, I am as white as they come and am not aware of this shadow effect, but then again, maybe I am not getting harry's comment correctly. I will re-read. It's not language barrier issues, I thought I read dark skin = no issues and I am well the Yeti   (WHITE! lol) and dont have a blue halo hehehe    :-\
~Yeti
-------------
-------------
-------------

Offline seanc7nyc

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 12:34:31 AM »
Happyharry,

Not sure if this will work for you, but I'm a pale Irishman and after i shaved my head I had the shadow.  I bought this product by Olay that is a lotion, and contains a very minimal amount of sunless tanning ingredients...

It blended my shadow in nicely.  It's not even meant for the head, it's a body cream.  I exfoliated, then applied a thin amount to my entire head and neck, with a little extra in the shadow area.   

Hopefully what works for the pale Irish can work for the blue Greeks.

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 02:49:04 PM »
Hey sean, thanks for the tip. Certainly sounds promising. I shall check it out and let you know how it went.

By the way, I like the Irish. They're unbelievably friendly, and solid drinkers, too - I, for instance, start feeling dizzy after the second beer... ;)
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline Yeti

• Sly Moderator
  • Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 03:32:16 PM »
Sean, you've been quite the active participant since joining! Keep up the good work and awesome info provider!   ;)
~Yeti
-------------
-------------
-------------

Offline seanc7nyc

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 11:17:43 PM »
Thanks, Yeti.  I've read a bunch of your posts on here and you seem like an awesome guy.  Great to meet you and I look forward to learning more about you.

Greek.  I, as an Irishman love the greeks and admire your  abilitiy to withstand the sun's pressure. As for driniking, I could pound a bunch in my day.  But now at 29, I need to pace myself and ready the gatorade for the morning.  But in my heyday, it was ugly.

Great to be on the boards.  Thanks for welcoming me, guys.  Great site.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 04:15:14 PM »

By the way, I like the Irish. They're unbelievably friendly, and solid drinkers, too

That nice complement about the Irish put me over the top to register.  Knew about the drinking part.  Never heard that we were the friendly sort.  I'm a second generation Irishman.  Grampa Mickey immigrated from Galway, Ireland at the turn of the 20th century.  I grew up watching my grampa and dad REALLY get along with people, so I did pick up the friendly thing from them.  Although no "problem" drinking was in my upbringing--my dad is probably the friendliest "drunk" (for lack of a more moderate term) I've ever met....never seen him get mean because of a few pints.  I picked that up as well.  Got to be more careful as a family man because I love to recreationally swill and quaff.

'nuff of that.  Of course I'm new to the forum.  Haven't yet shaved my head.  I've had to warm my wife to the idea.  PLUS I need to find the right time frame (over the weekend, etc.)  Which is why I chose this topic.  As a first-time, fair skin "Mick," I imagine I'll be facin' the blue shadow thang.

Sounds like a quality self-tanning lotion on a properly cared for scalp mitigates the "just-shaved" look.

Guess that's it for now.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 06:52:20 AM by Robmeister »

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 06:20:22 PM »
Haven't yet shaved my head.  I've had to warm my wife to the idea.  PLUS I need to find the right time frame (over the weekend, etc.) 

Thanks for the post and welcome to Sly Bald Guys!

If you haven't already, just explain to your wife that it will always grow back.  I know a lot of guys that said that right before they did it the first time.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 06:39:24 PM »
Thanks, Tyler

I actually did just that over dinner a little while ago.  Just so happens that she came home from the gym this evening and said she saw a guy about my size, shape and skin tone that she said looked good with the shaved look.  She said he looked very "deliberate" about the whole bald / getting in shape "package."

We haven't been to the gym in over 2 months since we moved into our new home (Littleton, Colorado).  So we made a deal based on what I need to do anyway...when I lose 15 lbs (half way to my ideal weight of about 215 - 220), then I shave my head without any further protest.  She said she'd help out.  She's up on the latest natural skin care products and would be interested in seeing how they help make a scalp as healthy as can be.

Frankly, I think that once she gets used to it and sees the whole "package" coming together...she'll be fine.  I just wanted there to be some amicable common ground. 

I weigh in tommorrow morning and will hit the gym, having a cool "total package" goal to look forward to.  I'll keep you posted. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 11:47:41 PM by Robmeister »