Author Topic: Close cut, but not sly yet.  (Read 4778 times)

Offline ynmaker

• Sly Jr.
  • Any idiot can take a good pic w/ a digital camera!
Close cut, but not sly yet.
« on: May 04, 2010, 09:52:50 AM »
  Hello all.  I'm a long time lurker to this site.  I'm in my mid 40's and have had thinning hair for the last several years.  My hair on top is very thin and fine and I've been getting shorter hair cuts over the years.  Until last Saturday I've been keeping my hair about 1/2 - 3/4 inch long on top.  (I gave up parting my hair several years ago.)
  I knew I didn't want to go the comb-over or drugs route.  Surgery and hair systems where also out of the question for me.  All of the above are neither a remedy, or a solution. 
  I don't think I suffer from any lack of confidence.  I was never one to spend too much time with my hair.   I just didn't like the way my hair looked, and I know things where only going to progress...
  Last Saturday I asked my barber to buzz it down short.  He tried a #2 on the sides and a #3 on top.  I thought it looked as silly, if not more silly, than usual.  I went with a #1 all over.
  As you all have said, the instant relief and satisfaction are very real.  I didn't discuss this with anyone.  I just did it.  My wife is not too excited.  She thinks it looks worse than before.  Our ten year old son really dislikes it.  But both are coming around.  (I think.)  I've have some snickers and complements both at church and work. 
  I know a #1 buzz isn't sly, but I really like it.  I look at photos from the last several years and see quite a bit of scalp shining through.  Last Christmas my 98 year old Grandmother mentioned my hair was thinner each time I visit.  She told me "Going bald is nothing to be ashamed of."   
  Anyway, I don't know if I'll go further with this.  I bought a Headblade and some HeadSlick a couple weeks ago, just in case.  I just wanted to say, THANKS!!!  All of you on this forum are an inspiration, particularly those who have, after years of other methods,  embraced your fate and genetics, and started down the road of the rest of your lives.  The rest of my days, or years, or whatever, will be spent being focused about things that are important, not things as silly and superficial as hair, or the lack of it.
I don't spent much time in front of a mirror, but now when I do look, I really like the guy looking back.
Thanks again.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Close cut, but not sly yet.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 10:00:59 AM »
Welcome.  At least you're prepared to do what it takes.  At #1 the urge to finish the job can be pretty strong--so yielding is one way to find out if you like it.  If you don't like it right now, you'll be back to a #1 in a week or so anyway.  And, this is just one of my many personal things: sunscreen is important to avoid skin problems, and it's a lot easier and neater to apply to a smooth melon.  So if you're not comfortable w/ a hat-smooth is the safest for your scalp.  
Enjoy the freedom.  
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 10:11:40 AM by saintc »

Offline SlyBaldDude

• Sly
    • Standing Out In the Crowd
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 10:08:21 AM »
Life is only so long.  You are going to wonder why you waited so long .. its true!

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 10:25:29 AM »
Hello and welcome ynmaker.  I really like your attitude and confidence.   Good for you.  Please come often and join in on the conversations and information. 
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 03:54:23 PM »

I don't spent much time in front of a mirror, but now when I do look, I really like the guy looking back.

That's the key thing right there! Congratulations!  O0
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline OzPete

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 08:46:30 PM »
Welcome!

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 09:02:08 PM »
Welcome!

Offline lifeinthesouth

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 08:01:19 AM »
People will come around to it. Don't worry about comments they are harmless. If you like the #1 stay with it a while. I stayed at a #1 for about 2 weeks then decided to try it without any guards. which is where I have stayed for a while now and do it every third day. The freedom of it all was the best part for me as well. I went from it being in the back of my mind all the time to being happy I don't have hair to have to worry over. If your family sees that it makes you happy it won't bother them after getting used to the new look.  O0

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 01:04:39 PM »
Welcome!

My son was also 10 the first time I shaved my head.......... he cried and ran out of the room when he saw me.

It sounds to me like your 98 year old Grandma is a lot smarter than some of the people you work with...........
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 05:18:30 PM »
"I don't spent much time in front of a mirror, but now when I do look, I really like the guy looking back".

I agree with ozzie on this one, that's the feeling of freedom that comes with taking control.

If you like the guy looking back in the mirror now, wait 'til you shave it down smooth. You will love it.      8)

Welcome to the forum yn, enjoy the new you.    O0

Offline ynmaker

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 08:35:06 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement guys.  I'm not sure what the next step will be.  I'm going to have to do something soon 'cause what's left is growing out and will look weird if I don't get some clippers and go #1 again.  I may have to go with the urge and shave.  I'm a little worried about bumps and a rash drawing attention to my dome.  I don't have a problem with my face, and I shave daily with a Mach 3.  I've used the Headslick on my face for over a week, and it agrees with my skin.  The menthol is a bit intense on the face, at first.  Anyway, thanks again all.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 03:36:36 PM »
Welcome Yn.  Go for it !
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 11:15:27 PM »
I don't have a problem with my face, and I shave daily with a Mach 3.  I've used the Headslick on my face for over a week, and it agrees with my skin.  The menthol is a bit intense on the face, at first.  Anyway, thanks again all.

Yn, you may want to try your first headshave with the Mach III. I used it for my first shave and it was very easy on the dome. The HeadSlick will be a good choice also, and once you get used to the menthol feeling, over time it's not as strong. Good luck and keep us posted.

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 08:02:08 AM »
DO IT!  DO IT! DO IT!  fR!d@y Listen to the Yankee and use your Mach3.  The Headblade has the unique ability to find every bump that you never knew you had.    You know you want to,  all the cool kids are doing it  8)

Offline ynmaker

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 10:07:51 AM »
Are you guys saying use the Mach 3 for the 1st shave, then use the HB for later shaving?
I'm just a little chicken about cutting up my head the first time I shave. 
That would sort of defeat the "I know what I'm doing" attitude I'm trying to project....LOL.