Author Topic: I have sinned  (Read 11018 times)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: I have sinned
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 02:04:51 PM »
BTW: Typo on my part.  White pants can only be worn after Memorial Day and before Labor Day.  So basically the rule is they can only be worn in the summer.
My understanding of the rule was that white linen suits, and light colored poplin suits were not de rigueur before Easter and after Labor Day.  I'd assume the same rule for slacks.  That's the general understanding here in NO at least--although the tradition of suits and ties in our brutal hot & humid summers is dying, it's still required in some places and businesses, like court and law and accounting firms when meeting with clients even when Hell on Earth visits each August & early September.  As the great R&B star from our City, Irma Thomas, has said, "In New Orleans we don't perspire baby, we sweat!"  Irma lays it down like it is.   

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2013, 09:32:42 PM »
Lol Rusty, I can attest to dressing according to the 4-bit colour palette too. I'm worse then that actually, It's normally black on black lol. Although, I did step out of my comfort zone a bit the other month and order a red band shirt... I wil never order a white band shirt though, me and white just don't get along. I think my record is about 2min to spill something on it...

The rule is actually 'white is allowable from Memorial Day (end of May) to Labor Day (first Monday in September)'.

There's nothing wrong with pure white pants, other than the fact that they get dirty so easily!

1974 Raleigh Professional by Sly Red, Chicago, on Flickr

I see, I thought it was some kind of camouflage thing, you ca only where white in the winter so you can hide from those people you don't want to be seen by or so it makes you look like a floating body... lol

But Red, you make those white pants look good lol! They match your tyres... haha!

I don't like pants in general because of the way they restrict and insulate the legs, but wearing them is still one of those things I will conform to when someone wants to flex their authority

Yeah, I have to wear pants all year round at work. Yesterday I was out in the direct sun for the better part of the day in upto 40C (104F) temperatures. I'm not talking your light dress pants, I'm talking your standard heavy duty work pants. We have to wear them for OH&S reasons, I still can't work out what's worse, sunburn or heat stress... apparently it's sunburn though...

I had no problem wearing a net and suggested that I would wear one as soon as the problem arose, the store manager was just trying to stamp her authority I think. That and I believe I used the phrase "I have no problem wearing a beard net if you supply one"

That's it exactly.  More often than not these kinds of rules are simply someone with authority getting pleasure out of exploiting that power onto another, and that's why when you pin them down and ask why they can't really give you an answer of substance because there is no substantive answer available.  Oftentimes the "gotta know when to pick your battles" rule comes into play and it's just easier to go along to get along, but the older I get I find I have less and less tolerance with people getting out of line by dictating things that are not theirs to dictate.

That's it, I don't know if I mentioned, later I found it said, Facial hair had to be neatly trimmed. I considered it neatly trimmed, if she said go home and run a trimmer over it or something the problem would have been much less messier. But as I also forgot to mention, she was actually new to the store (in a store manager capacity, she used to just be a worker, maybe she was an assistant manager... before she moved stores) and was the main reason that 20% of the staff  quit within 2 months of her taking over the store.

The pick the right battles rule definitely came into play there, and I needed the fuel money haha, only thing that casual job was for... getting me to uni every week.

As the great R&B star from our City, Irma Thomas, has said, "In New Orleans we don't perspire baby, we sweat!"  Irma lays it down like it is.   

Oh I sweat too baby!

Offline VoodooSyxx

• Sly
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 11:32:36 PM »
I don't like pants in general because of the way they restrict and insulate the legs, but wearing them is still one of those things I will conform to when someone wants to flex their authority since I can undo it easily on my own time.

Same here bro. Well I hate jeans anyway. I have an extensive collection of black BDU pants and kilts. Come to think of it, I haven't yet busted out one of my kilts with the sly head. I bet that look is an attention-getter  ;D

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2013, 12:04:06 AM »
I don't like pants in general because of the way they restrict and insulate the legs, but wearing them is still one of those things I will conform to when someone wants to flex their authority since I can undo it easily on my own time.

Same here bro. Well I hate jeans anyway. I have an extensive collection of black BDU pants and kilts. Come to think of it, I haven't yet busted out one of my kilts with the sly head. I bet that look is an attention-getter  ;D

A kilt would go awesome with a sly dome.

I used to be an exclusive shorts guy until starting full time work, and having to live in pants... Now they are starting to grow on me a bit. I do like the look of BDU pants though. I've always been a fan of those style pants though. They aren't very easy to find in Australia... Maybe I'm just lookin in the wrong places.

Offline VoodooSyxx

• Sly
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2013, 10:26:55 AM »

I used to be an exclusive shorts guy until starting full time work, and having to live in pants... Now they are starting to grow on me a bit. I do like the look of BDU pants though. I've always been a fan of those style pants though. They aren't very easy to find in Australia... Maybe I'm just lookin in the wrong places.

I don't know about Australia. I've got all mine from Army/Navy stores and the like or ordering online from cop supply companies. They are really comfortable though, and last a long time.

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2013, 04:53:24 PM »

I don't know about Australia. I've got all mine from Army/Navy stores and the like or ordering online from cop supply companies. They are really comfortable though, and last a long time.

I had a look around online after seeing your post... why is everything like twice the price in Australia, no wonder I always end up ordering from US or EU online! It's pretty sad really, I'd support the Aussie businesses if they were reasonably priced.

Offline imaginary

• Sly
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2013, 05:19:47 PM »

I'm certain. Believe it or not, kilts are not a common sight in the city that doesn't sleep.
Once upon a time. The End.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2013, 03:01:01 AM »
Yeah, I have to wear pants all year round at work. Yesterday I was out in the direct sun for the better part of the day in upto 40C (104F) temperatures. I'm not talking your light dress pants, I'm talking your standard heavy duty work pants. We have to wear them for OH&S reasons, I still can't work out what's worse, sunburn or heat stress... apparently it's sunburn though...

Isn't it great to have caring, paternal bureaucrats looking out for you by giving you your mandatory answer to difficult life questions like "should I wear shorts and risk sunburn or wear thick pants and risk heat stress"?
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2013, 08:22:33 AM »

Isn't it great to have caring, paternal bureaucrats looking out for you by giving you your mandatory answer to difficult life questions like "should I wear shorts and risk sunburn or wear thick pants and risk heat stress"?

Oh yeah, especially when you ask about it, you get told that if you supply a medical certificate saying why you can't wear long pants you can wear the shorts... and the owner openly says if you don't like it then go see the doctor... I'm not going to a doctor and getting him to make up some excuse for me to have to wear shorts at work. I think it is only so he can keep his "quality assured company" title... they have so many bullsh!t rules that we can't do, or must do... I don't know how they are helping anyone.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2013, 10:33:05 AM »
Oh yeah, especially when you ask about it, you get told that if you supply a medical certificate saying why you can't wear long pants you can wear the shorts... and the owner openly says if you don't like it then go see the doctor... I'm not going to a doctor and getting him to make up some excuse for me to have to wear shorts at work. I think it is only so he can keep his "quality assured company" title... they have so many bullsh!t rules that we can't do, or must do... I don't know how they are helping anyone.

They aren't and they know they aren't.  They're bureaucrats so it's all about THEM and their power.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2013, 02:06:37 PM »
Seems I'm the odd man out here, as I prefer pants to shorts any day. Even 90 degree (F) days. I feel like a jack ass when I'm in shorts.. no idea why. Always been that way. I'm just crazay/stupid like that.   :/O

Sorry, just wanted to throw a bit of irrelevant nonsense in. Please commence with your collective bitterness towards "the man"!
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline imaginary

• Sly
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2013, 01:49:25 PM »
Seems I'm the odd man out here, as I prefer pants to shorts any day. Even 90 degree (F) days. I feel like a jack ass when I'm in shorts.. no idea why. Always been that way. I'm just crazay/stupid like that.   :/O

Sorry, just wanted to throw a bit of irrelevant nonsense in. Please commence with your collective bitterness towards "the man"!

You're not the only one. Although I do have shorts, and I am willing to wear them under extreme heat, I prefer pants. It's just something about me not liking to show skin.
Once upon a time. The End.

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2013, 09:16:09 PM »
It's just something about me not liking to show skin.

*goes sly*  :*))